Connection Problem resolved, sort of plus misc stuff

fseward
Cannon Fodder

Connection Problem resolved, sort of plus misc stuff

Post by fseward » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:16 pm

I've got a PC behind a router on a broadband connection hosting Battlegrounds. This evening, I tried connecting from outside the network w/ a friend. He was able to connect to my session, but I had to go into a webpage for the wireless router setup utility. There, I defined a Virtual Server, indicated the internal IP address for the hosting PC, set inbound port and private port = 1626, and set the Type = TCP and UDP. I'm using a Belkin router, so I don't know if this is something that's just specific to them or not.

Now, this PC is a laptop I travel with, so when I'm using the hotel's wireless service, I doubt I'd be able to get the staff there to change their settings to accomodate me.

As a test, I chose one of the maps that comes w/ the game. The map took several minutes to transfer, which I don't understand, because my friend had a copy of the file from the ZIP.

I put a counter for my friend and made him the owner. I also put a monster token on the map, but he never could see it. I tried toggling the (H) option (Hide I think), but nothing changed. Any idea what we did wrong?

BTW, when I try connecting from within my home network, there's no problem at all. Looks like the only problem is when I'm attempting an external connection.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:56 pm

You're not the first to have this sort of problem:
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... ight=hotel

I don't know what to suggest, other than asking the hotel staff if any ports ARE open, and if so, using that port for your connections. But without forwarding set up, that may not help in the least. Does anyone else here have any ideas? To be honest, I always imagined that BRPG would be used in a more controlled environment, and never envisioned this hotel predicament.

Re the map transfer, the fact that the player had the map on the hard drive makes no difference, if they haven't imported it into BRPG prior to connecting. If they had, the map would swap more or less instantly as soon as the GM issued the map change.

Re the Hide issue, there are several ways of Hiding, and one of them was broken in v1.0.4, so try the other methods. Also, make sure that your name is appearing under "GM" in the player's Participants List in the chat window. If it isn't, he/she needs to reconnect until it does (or you may need to rehost, if repeated attempts fail). I'm trying to address this right now for v1.0.5, that's why the hold-up on releasing it.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:13 pm

I use a Belkin router too. "Virtual Server" is their name for port-forwarding.

fseward
Cannon Fodder

Post by fseward » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:14 pm

Despite the obstacles, it was very cool seeing the software in action. My friend and I were very impressed.

I'm thinking that the ideal use would be at home. If I hooked up a projector and threw up the map image on the wall, that would be awesome.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:37 pm

There's certainly less configuration issues with projector use vs online use. Dealing with routers and firewalls is no fun, for sure.

There are decent projectors these days available for about the same price as a good LCD display.

I wish I had a projector. It would make developing so much fun. I could program in bed while projecting on the wall! :lol:
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.