Implementing non-d20 die mechanics?

Post Reply
BTS1967
General
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:00 am
Location: Southern CA, US

Implementing non-d20 die mechanics?

Post by BTS1967 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:38 am

Are there any plans to implement non-standard die mechanics. Specifically Target Numbers and calculation of number successes? I am thinking of Shadow Run 4ed and Exalted... I believe Exalted uses the same system as the rest of White Wolf products.

Anyway, the player rolls a pool of dice (10 sided) and every number equal to or greater than the TN (Target Number) scores a success. With Exalted, if you roll a 10 then you get two successes. Neither adds modifiers but I do believe SR 3rd allowed for modifiers to the die rolls (its been a very long time since I touched that rule set).

If not, will the extension for Flash allow for a user created add-on?

Thanks,
Barry

Balesir
General
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:29 pm

Post by Balesir » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:56 am

Well, there isn't really any 'implementation' of d20 rolls, per se - you just roll dice and use the rules like you would in face-to-face play. To roll a dice pool just roll that many d10/d6/whatever and count 'em - same as you would on a tabletop.

Having said that, the thread here has some intended die roller developments.

One interesting idea that springs to mind from this (and isn't really covered in the current suggestion summary) is whether it would be possible to set up a way of defining a 'die'. You could make a d7, for instance, or define a d10 with 3 sides all called 'success', 6 sides called 'failure' and one side called 'botch'. That might be a neat feature to include, and not too complex to implement, I would imagine.

Add to that an output option where the results can be summed (as they are now) or counted and you're good to go with all sorts of systems!
Balesir

User avatar
heruca
Developer
Posts: 9382
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:58 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:18 pm

BTS1967, see this thread for more details about what improvements are planned for the Die Roller panel:
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=913

Something similar to what Balesir describes should be doable once table support is added, because you'll be able to reference your die roll result to a table that you define via a tab-delimited text file. So basically you'll roll the dice, and it'll spit out a result from the table. Pretty handy for wandering monster checks, critical hit tables, etc.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

User avatar
Omnidon
Site Admin
Posts: 2186
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:46 pm
Location: NY State, USA
Contact:

Post by Omnidon » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:23 pm

BTS1967 wrote:If not, will the extension for Flash allow for a user created add-on?
Sounds like heruca has it pretty well covered, but I am planning to make some flash tools that should help.

Flash Integration will probably be implemented very gradually, but rest assured that I will pester heruca into making it as powerful as possible. ;-)

User avatar
heruca
Developer
Posts: 9382
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:58 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:43 pm

Due to Omnidon's incessant pestering, I will try to add some more Flash support in v1.0.6. :P
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

BTS1967
General
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:00 am
Location: Southern CA, US

Post by BTS1967 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:37 pm

heruca wrote:BTS1967, see this thread for more details about what improvements are planned for the Die Roller panel:
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=913

Something similar to what Balesir describes should be doable once table support is added, because you'll be able to reference your die roll result to a table that you define via a tab-delimited text file. So basically you'll roll the dice, and it'll spit out a result from the table. Pretty handy for wandering monster checks, critical hit tables, etc.
Read the thread and yes, macros is a definite! While a majority of my gaming is d20 I do have many other RPGs I like to fiddle with and run short arcs around. Two I am fiddling with use TN's and no cumulative numbering or modifiers. I asked as the current implementation sums the die rolls.

It would be nice to say, yes out of the 15 dice just rolled I got 6 successes right off the bat. :) But it seems you have that planned for! happy customer!

BTS

User avatar
heruca
Developer
Posts: 9382
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:58 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Re: Implementing non-d20 die mechanics?

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:29 pm

BTS1967 wrote:Are there any plans to implement non-standard die mechanics. Specifically Target Numbers and calculation of number successes? I am thinking of Shadow Run 4ed and Exalted... I believe Exalted uses the same system as the rest of White Wolf products.

Anyway, the player rolls a pool of dice (10 sided) and every number equal to or greater than the TN (Target Number) scores a success. With Exalted, if you roll a 10 then you get two successes. Neither adds modifiers but I do believe SR 3rd allowed for modifiers to the die rolls (its been a very long time since I touched that rule set).
I got target numbers working today in v1.0.9. It's also counting successes, but isn't displaying that info yet (I will get to that tomorrow).

Question: In the roll summary, is it worth noting how many failures there were? Or is knowing how many successes there were the only thing anyone cares about?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Balesir
General
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:29 pm

Post by Balesir » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:53 pm

I know that some systems have a 'botch' or 'fumble' result that needs to be tracked also. Old World of Darkness has a target number - rolling that or above is a success - and a 'botch number' of 1. Rolls of 1 subtract one success each. Generalising this to count both 'successes' and 'mistakes' might ensure that all bases are covered.

One other thing this brings to mind - setups for identifying criticals and fumbles. This may well be too complex a field to cover, but the examples that I think of now are:
  • - In percentile rolls all results divisible by 5 are Critical; if they are at or below modified skill they are critical successes, otherwise they are critical failures (HarnMaster).

    - If the percentile roll is less than or equal to target level/5 the success is 'notable', if LTE target level/20 it is 'critical'. Failures in the top 1/20th of the failure range are 'fumbles' (Runequest).

    - A 3d6 roll of LTE the greater of 4 or target level - 10 is critical and some upper range (usually 17-18) are fumbles (IIRC - GURPS).

    - A d20 roll exactly equal to the target level counts as a critical success and roll of 20 (Pengragon).
It would be exceedingly neat to be able to set up such ranges/criteria for roll results.
Balesir

User avatar
heruca
Developer
Posts: 9382
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:58 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Post by heruca » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:13 pm

Balesir wrote:I know that some systems have a 'botch' or 'fumble' result that needs to be tracked also. Old World of Darkness has a target number - rolling that or above is a success - and a 'botch number' of 1. Rolls of 1 subtract one success each.
Got that covered. :)
Balesir wrote:One other thing this brings to mind - setups for identifying criticals and fumbles.
I've got it set up to let you define target number ranges that trigger critical successes or critical failures, but nothing so complex as the systems you just described.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Balesir
General
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:29 pm

Post by Balesir » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:55 pm

Well, sounds like you have a plan! 8)

One thing that still strikes me as useful for various things is the ability to spot when a roll result is divisible by a certain number. Maybe a setup that triggers a colour change on the roll result for this - or just added (user defined?) text?
Balesir

User avatar
heruca
Developer
Posts: 9382
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:58 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Post by heruca » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:44 pm

Here's a sample of the Dice Roll output, and counting of successes on a per-die basis.

The "double success" thing is, of course, an option. It happens when a die rolls its highest possible value (e.g, a 6 on a d6, a 10 on a d10, etc).
Attachments
Dice Macro Panel Sneak Preview 3, Counting Successes.jpg
Note: This is a work in progress, not final
Dice Macro Panel Sneak Preview 3, Counting Successes.jpg (220.89 KiB) Viewed 4597 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests