Face to Face Idea [OLD]

A holding area for obsolete posts that we don't wish to delete altogether.
NiteSkie
Soldier

Face to Face Idea [OLD]

Post by NiteSkie » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:55 am

I was thinking about what was said about face to face RPG and having to have my players turn away from the screen, ect.

I think I have a solution for this that should be pretty easy.

Make the GM Client have both Fog of war options. The GM option, where you can see everything, and the player option, where you can only see what the players see on the board.

The GM can still just place NPCs on the board as they would normally for an ambush, or let the players uncover them with the fog of war.

If i could have the GM client running and turn on player Fog of war, that would make things very nice. I think a lot of people will consider using your product the way I am, and this would be a very smart feature to impliment.

Also, I don't know if you can do this, but you need to make sure to have the fog of war adjustable per token. Some races can see farther than others.

Kepli
High Commander

Re: Another Item for Consideration

Post by Kepli » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:23 am

NiteSkie wrote:I was thinking about what was said about face to face RPG and having to have my players turn away from the screen, ect.

Make the GM Client have both Fog of war options. The GM option, where you can see everything, and the player option, where you can only see what the players see on the board.

The GM can still just place NPCs on the board as they would normally for an ambush, or let the players uncover them with the fog of war.

If i could have the GM client running and turn on player Fog of war, that would make things very nice. I think a lot of people will consider using your product the way I am, and this would be a very smart feature to impliment.
I like this request ... :D
NiteSkie wrote:Also, I don't know if you can do this, but you need to make sure to have the fog of war adjustable per token. Some races can see farther than others.
That's already being done NiteSkie ... I think it's one of the winning additions (well, the whole fog-of-war implementation is actually :wink: )

NiteSkie
Soldier

Post by NiteSkie » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:46 pm

bump for love and the quest of an answer from the gods.

heruca
Developer

Re: Another Item for Consideration

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:04 pm

Sorry, thought I'd answered this already, but clearly I hadn't. Glad you bumped the thread.
NiteSkie wrote:I was thinking about what was said about face to face RPG and having to have my players turn away from the screen, ect.

I plan to do even better than that. In addition to the GM's FoW and the shared party FoW, you will also be able to set the FoW to show what just one PC or NPC can see. That's useful for the GM in knowing if his guards can see the party approaching, for example.
NiteSkie wrote:The GM can still just place NPCs on the board as they would normally for an ambush, or let the players uncover them with the fog of war.
Yes, but your players will still have to turn away while you switch over to the GM's FoW, if you're running everything off one computer.
NiteSkie wrote:If i could have the GM client running and turn on player Fog of war, that would make things very nice. I think a lot of people will consider using your product the way I am, and this would be a very smart feature to impliment.
A good setup would be to have two networked laptops, one for the GM, and another for the players (hooked up to a large screen or projector) showing the shared party view.
NiteSkie wrote:Also, I don't know if you can do this, but you need to make sure to have the fog of war adjustable per token. Some races can see farther than others.
As Kepli mentioned, that's already going to be supported. See this thread:
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... c.php?t=12

If you have beta 1.0.3, take a look at the plain text files in BRPG's Preferences folder to get an idea of how this will work and how easily customizable the system will be.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Richard Weimer
Soldier

Post by Richard Weimer » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:16 pm

A good setup would be to have two networked laptops, one for the GM, and another for the players (hooked up to a large screen or projector) showing the shared party view.
Or, allow two windows, one for the GM view and one for the Player view. I can run my laptop in "multi-monitor mode", and drag the Player's view to the 2nd monitor (i.e., the projector). That is how I currently do it with ScreenMonkey.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:39 pm

That will be a very cool setup :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:32 pm

Welcome, Richard (actually, you've been around a while, but this was your first post).

I'll certainly add that feature in a post-release update, just as soon as I build in support for multiple displays. My authoring tool does support multiple displays, I just need to find the time to code it properly into the BRPG engine.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:06 am

Very cool Heruca ... you make me want to buy a projector right now :D