Call for help: Need photos from projector users

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
heruca
Developer

Call for help: Need photos from projector users

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:42 pm

I try to promote the offline use of BRPG as much as I can, since I think BRPG stands out from most other VTs in its full-screen presentation and clean interface.

The problem is, unless I show such a setup in use, a lot of people don't "get it". Unfortunately, I don't have an HDTV or projector to photograph BRPG being used this way.

If you have such a setup and would like to help, I need photos of BRPG being used at a face-to-face game session (and the rights to use the photos in marketing materials). A short video clip would be good, too.

Can anyone help me with this? If so, make sure any person appearing in the shots is OK with their photo being used in promotional materials.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:31 am

::bump::
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:21 am

Bum. No projector in this house but might be able to get some pics on a very large plasma screen. No promises but will see what can be done.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:28 am

I was planning on bying one, but we have a money-leech in the family now LOL (man, diaper alone ...)
Maybe next year :wink:

Jester
Soldier

Post by Jester » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:11 pm

Heh, ummm... I have a projector but no plans to use BRPG off-line. ;)
Now Playing:
Role-Playing

Good v. Evil, GM, Custom Fantasy Setting (On-line)
Black Talons 05, Player, Heavy Gear 3E/2E Role-Playing (On-line)

dontadow
Soldier

Post by dontadow » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:52 pm

I will post some pictures Friday.

Actually the offline functionality is what really made my Projector project a go. I have been looking for a program like this and was pleasantly surprised at how much more functional it is than fantasy grounds and klooge for offline purposes. I've bought a infocus x3 which is a great projector you can get at cdw for 599.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:59 pm

Welcome, Dontadow.

That's a pretty sweet price on a projector.

Looking forward to the pics. Will you be using virtual minis or projecting down onto real minis?

3d6+15
Cannon Fodder

Post by 3d6+15 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:36 pm

Hello.

I'm a projector user who is currently using Fantasy Grounds with real minis.

I'm interested in giving this program a try, and would be happy to provide pictures whether I purchase it or not. So this post is what amounts to a nagging "When is the demo available?" threadjack. :twisted:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:41 pm

Welcome, 3d6+15. That's a heck of a username for a forum like this one. :lol:

The beta demo is available now, on the Downloads page. If you mean when is v1.0 going to be available, all I can say is "soon", and that I'm hoping for next week.

Now that the User Manual is finished and out of the way, I'm going to get to work on some serious debugging, starting tomorrow.

3d6+15
Cannon Fodder

Post by 3d6+15 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:53 pm

I started the username on ENWorld. There was a thread a long time ago, back when I was an unregistered lurker called "Join ENWorld as a die!" and I found it amusing... lots of folks were joining with fake accounts named after dice or dice combos. I did the same, only it was the only account I had, so I kept it.

I'm sorry, for some reason I didn't even look closely at the other links, I just saw "Demo" and "Not available".

I'll play with it some this week. I don't have a game scheduled until November, but maybe I'll see if I can find time to arrange some staged pictures.

dontadow
Soldier

Experiences so far

Post by dontadow » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:45 am

Pics will probalby come tonight. The laptops mounted and imaging looks great (though the living room is a mess).

The major problem I"m having is the grid so far, and I"m thinking this is going to take some work. because the projector spits out a big image the one inch grids are more like 2 or 3 inch grids. Thus I don't think I"ll be using the grid function of battlegrounds. Once I cut the grid off and started desizing the grids inside of dundjinni I managed to get some really cool one inch maps to show up in battlegrounds.

The second problem was making the screen not scroll. I could freeze the picture on my projector, but that really deflates the whole fog of war idea. It took some playing around with, but I figured that the new dundjinni resized maps was about 1/2 the entire 40 square map of battlegrounds, making me change the grid total to about 20 by 28 squares. I still got a good 45 squares to show up vividly off of the projector.

This eliminated my third problem which was having a scrolling map that looks beautiful but looses the pc minis placement.

The fourth problem was light source. Lucky the light source can be resized as everything in batllegrounds can. It was perfectly resized. Fairly cool actually. The major problem though is that I'm not using digitial pcs. This was easily solved as well. I have the luxery of having two remote control mouses (one came with the remote keyboard I just bought). so I will designate the other mouse the pcs mouse for moving the light source. I might even use it for some of the layering effects the game features such as moving a cot out of the way during a search or revealing a clue I have etched into the floor.

The fifth problem... not really a problem but where do I find animated tokens like the squid. Those are awesome and I have yet to see them anywhere.

I believe I have a solution to my immediate problems. Later on today I'll register hte copy on the living room laptop and try to do the networking. I"m hoping for a complete success before Lost.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:49 am

Are you aware of the zoom function in BRPG? That might have helped you size things up properly without redoing the maps in DJ.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Experiences so far

Post by Omnidon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:33 pm

dontadow wrote:The major problem I"m having is the grid.
As heruca said, there is a zoom feature in BRPG.
It works quite well without the grid though; that's how I intend to use it.
dontadow wrote:The second problem was making the screen not scroll.
I assume you're talking about the annoying mouse-based scrolling?
The next version of BRPG (v1.0) will add the ability to turn that off. ;-)
dontadow wrote:... my third problem ... was having a scrolling map that looks beautiful but looses the pc minis placement.
Do you mean that you lose track of the units?
There will eventually be features allowing you to center the view on units and such.
dontadow wrote:where do I find animated tokens like the squid. Those are awesome and I have yet to see them anywhere.
That is actually a sneak-preview of an upcoming feature.
Squidy is a flash animation, and I'm really excited by the possibilities presented by the use of Flash in BRPG. There are a couple preview Flash objects in the BRPG folders too.
It is not yet possible for the user to add more Flash units, but it will be. ;-)
It will probably also eventually be possible to use other sorts of animations.
See my posts about Flash Integration and Filetype Support.

In the meantime, if you have any good animations that you think would be useful to many users of BRPG, then you can send them in for heruca to add. ;-)

By the way, if you want more sample Flash animations, these were used in testing so they should work if you add them to BRPG:

http://allinyourmind.net/files/flash/flash_ani.zip

(Download and unzip...)

http://allinyourmind.net/files/flash/orb.swf

http://allinyourmind.net/files/flash/so ... ground.swf

http://allinyourmind.net/files/flash/sound_button.swf

http://allinyourmind.net/files/flash/avatar.swf

(Right click & save as... then put in "Figures" or "Objects".)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:43 pm

Omnidon wrote:
dontadow wrote:... my third problem ... was having a scrolling map that looks beautiful but looses the pc minis placement.
Do you mean that you lose track of the units?
There will eventually be features allowing you to center the view on units and such.
No, I think he meant that real minis on a table lose their relative place on the projected map when you scroll it.

For that, I'd use placeholder virtual tokens that have light sources assigned to them but can be hidden, once the real minis are moved into alignment.

dontadow
Soldier

Post by dontadow » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:55 pm

Omnidon wrote:
As heruca said, there is a zoom feature in BRPG.
It works quite well without the grid though; that's how I intend to use it.
Oh thank goodness. Ok, this will be something I definately need to try. I am still learning battlegrounds but I"m sure the zoom function solve me not resizing images Dundjinni.
Omnidon wrote:The second problem was making the screen not scroll.

I assume you're talking about the annoying mouse-based scrolling?
The next version of BRPG (v1.0) will add the ability to turn that off. ;-)
Actually no, though I'm not a big fan of the mouse-based scrolling it hasn't annoyed me. The problem I was having was that I had to scroll to see the whole map. but I think this is fixed when I start using the zoom function.
I'm sorry my wording is off. I'm typing a bit excited because of the excitement about the projector. I plan on using physical minis for the player characters. Without the entire map visible, I"d have t oscroll parts of the map, displacing the physical position of the pcs. This is a hard decision on myself. The purist in me wants to at least keep the PC pewtar minis, but the DM in me says that things (espeically dungeions) will be even more mysterious if I use digital minis. I do have some concerns and questions about this.
1. Is there a way to move multiple figures at once?

2. Are there any problems operating multiple pcs on the client install

The flash stuff looks good, can't wait for the integration. I think I chose hte best program out there so far. Seems to do everything that alot ofp eople on other boards are asking for
big maps, fog of war, ability to customize figs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:03 pm

dontadow wrote:1. Is there a way to move multiple figures at once?
Not yet, but there will be, and probably by v1.1. You'll also be able to clone (copy and paste) figures, or deploy entire squads all at once. I'd also like to be able to group figures so that they always move as a unit (until you ungroup them). This would be handy for things like moving PCs on a boat or wagon.
dontadow wrote:2. Are there any problems operating multiple pcs on the client install
With the unlicensed version, you can only deploy up to 12 units at once, and you should save often, because the demo times out after 45 minutes.

dontadow
Soldier

Post by dontadow » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:32 pm

I have a license. If I"m correct, I can install two copies of battlegrounds on the same computer, set the computer upfor two displays, one for the projector and one for the dm. The dm screen uses mine and the projector uses the other application.

Am I correct inassuming this will work?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Pretty much, except that you either need a Floating License installed on the GM Client, or the second instance must be a licensed copy, too (GM or Player). You won't be able to connect two instances if they share the same license number.

Technically, you could do it with the second instance being just the free unlicensed demo, but it'll time-out on you every 45 minutes and you'll need to continuously relaunch and reconnect that instance.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:50 pm

heruca wrote:Pretty much, except that you ... need a Floating License installed on the GM Client.
heruca does intend to add improved projector / dual-screen support, allowing the player views to be accessed from within a single GM client.
That won't be for a while though, so you might want to get that Floating License in the meantime. ;-)

dontadow
Soldier

Post by dontadow » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:50 pm

Ah didn't know i needed another license, the FAQ on it simply says to load another instance in the computer. I was prepared to buy another one, but that should be more clear on that part of the website.

I think my instructiosn are old, it mentions that zoom is a feature that is coming, but i can't find how to use it? Is it a future version or am i not looking in the right place?

dontadow
Soldier

Post by dontadow » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:59 pm

Found the instructions in the new book, but it doesnt seem to work for me. Also has a disclaimer that says it still is a work in process. Is there a version mmore updated that rc2a

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:00 pm

Sorry for the confusion, dontadow. The zoom feature is still being implemented, and is really only offered as a preview of what's to come. It isn't yet an "official" feature, and hence is not mentioned in the User Manual.

I covered it briefly here: http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... &start=135

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:07 pm

dontadow wrote:Found the instructions in the new book, but it doesnt seem to work for me. Also has a disclaimer that says it still is a work in process. Is there a version mmore updated that rc2a
Ah, and then there's the fact that the User Manual is so up-to-date, it's ahead of the software, LOL!

Zooming is controlled via the mousewheel, or alternatively, by hotkeys (but I think the hotkeys weren't working under Windows in one or more versions). I'll see about getting you a newer version of the software where that works.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:19 pm

Dontadow, check your PM inbox.

3d6+15
Cannon Fodder

Post by 3d6+15 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:28 pm

heruca wrote: Zooming is controlled via the mousewheel, or alternatively, by hotkeys (but I think the hotkeys weren't working under Windows in one or more versions). I'll see about getting you a newer version of the software where that works.
Yeah, whatever version I have downloaded (thought I followed the instructions correctly to be current as of the download page) I can't seem to get Zoom to work at all (PC Version). Perhaps I have something setup wrong still, because it seems surprisingly unstable (crashes a lot) so far.