(Old 'Failing to Host') [LOCKED]

Dormouse
General

(Old 'Failing to Host') [LOCKED]

Post by Dormouse » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:16 pm

I have been having a lot of problems in trying to make RC1 work. I describe most of them as problems rather than bugs because they occur irregularly. I'm hoping to receive my RC2 codes soon, as that is probably much more stable.

Most of the problems have been to do with the connection between the client and the GM. The connection is through a network rather than over the internet. I have been using a large map (3.77MB) and have been able to get it to load on the client, using Omnidon's instructions. I have not been able to load an encounter or to place objects or figures on the map that is seen at the client end (client usually sees 'script error' messages at this point).

Macromedia Director has crashed quite often on both GM & client ends (probably most often at client end); usually takes ages to actually close itself down - even after Ctrl/Alt/Del

Repeating problems (probably bugs) are
a script error [hiding behind the login dialog] when the client disconnects;
Chat window going mad with constantly repeating 'client has logged on' 'client has logged off'; the chat window & login at the client end;
A limit of approx 30 figures/objects that can be placed on map;
The chat windows on GM & client often don't agree about the state of connection/login

Given the release of RC2, there doesn't seem any point in regarding these as bugs; I'm hoping they won't be there when I can use that.
Last edited by Dormouse on Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:33 pm

I have tried using the demo versions of RC2 and have not been able to establish a connection at all.

I can get the GM side set up & connected. The client side then starts but the connection fails. When it is retried, the error message says that Macromedia Projector has to close & down it all goes. This happens repeatedly.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:00 pm

The license codes made no difference to RC2.

Looks as if it might be a Flash problem. Am checking it out now.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:09 pm

Please post your system specs, OS info, and a description of your network (routers, hardware and/or software firewalls, etc.). I'll try to help you get this resolved.

License codes do not alter the software in any way other than removing the 45 minute time-out limit and allowing more than 12 units to be deployed/saved/loaded.

I'll also post some info in a new thread that could be relevant to your connection woes.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:35 pm

The client system might be a bit light on memory, I thought it had more.

Client -
AMD Athlon 2GHz
256 mb RAM
Windows XP Pro
display 1024x768

GM
Pentium 4, 3GHz dual core
1 gb RAM
Windows XP Pro
display 1680x1050

I'll add some more memory, but even the client is within the minimum spec.

The router is a ZyXEL wireless broadband network router, connects to the client through an access point. Client mostly uses the Windows firewall, GM uses FSecure.

Turning firewalls off makes no difference.
RC2 has never let the client login & always crashes when the connection is retried.
RC1 (virtually) always connects, loads maps, changes maps. Never loads encounters on the client & never sees any objects or figures placed on the map in the GM.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:47 pm

Yeah, the client could use more RAM, but should be fine as long as no other apps are running and youve had a fresh reboot.

Did the info in this thread help at all?
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=647

If you're just connecting on a LAN, port-forwarding on the router shouldn't have any effect, so messing with that won't help.

I'll be around later today if you want me to help you test your connection, but right now I have to step out for a couple of hours.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dormouse
General

RC2

Post by Dormouse » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:12 pm

I tried reducing the sleeptime settings all the way down to 5, but RC's behaviour stayed exactly the same. Made sure I had the firewall turned off too, just in case.

Very odd, since RC1 always connects.

At this stage, RC1 is much closer to being functional for me. Just a question of being able to load encounters.

At least I am hitting fairly reliable behaviour from each version now, even if neither works as I would like.

What I will do now is to try out connections with some other computers & see if they work any better.

Take some time off, I'm sure you need it.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:13 pm

As far as I can see, there are a small number of fairly likely causes for the problems in RC1.

The first is to do with the size of the memory in the client. I will find that out soon enough.

The second is to do with the size of the map being used.

It may also be connection related, as the RC2 problem must be.

One thing I don't understand is how the Encounter feature works. It contains all the info about the objects & figures that have been placed on the map and yet the files are too small to contain the images. Does this mean that the images are stored on the GM machine and are then transmitted to the client? What size limits does this have? Could this be the source of my problems in RC1??? if so, would there be a way of preloading the encounters on the client machine?

I still don't understand the RC2 problem, but my guess atm is that it won't work any better than RC2 in terms of getting the encounters to load.

Currently my guess is that I will have to split everything into much smaller maps.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:46 pm

I tried a small map, a tiny encounter and placing figures live.

The map loaded perfectly on the client; the encounter did not load (script errors) and placing figures live and making them show did not work either.

So, it seems as if small maps/encounters will be no more successful for me.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:16 pm

You are right in that encounters do not contain the files themselves. If you open an encounter as a text file, you will see that it is just a list of the properties and positions of things.

Unit transfers have never worked in RC1, and since loading an encounter does require those transfers, that wouldn't work either.

They worked in RC2-PR just fine though I haven't tested RC2 yet.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:28 pm

So, in that case, I need RC2 to make things work. But RC" won't connect.

So apart from the sleeptime issue, what else has changed in RC2 that could be getting in the way???

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:08 pm

How strange. Encounters should load if you're connected, and without script errors. Even if the tokens in use fail to transfer to the client, you'd still at least see question mark icons in place of the tokens, and no script errors.

You're definitely using RC2 on both the host and the player client, right? Not a mix of RC1 and RC2?

Please email me the Encounter you're testing with so I can try to duplicate this (assuming it's an Encounter you made).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:15 pm

Dormouse wrote:One thing I don't understand is how the Encounter feature works. It contains all the info about the objects & figures that have been placed on the map and yet the files are too small to contain the images. Does this mean that the images are stored on the GM machine and are then transmitted to the client? What size limits does this have? Could this be the source of my problems in RC1??? if so, would there be a way of preloading the encounters on the client machine?
Encounter files are just as Omnidon described. Just pointers to what goes where, with no media assets stored in the Encounter file itself. The idea is that the client transparently requests and loads any assets it needs from the GM host.

RC1 had a major glitch that prevented tokens from transferring, although that feature was working fine in previous beta demos, and should be working fine in RC2.

See this thread about the size transfer limits.

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=622

Your best bet for now might be to preload all the Encounter assets on the player client, and see if that makes the error messages go away, at least. I propose this not as a workaround, but as a means of diagnosing the problem.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:21 pm

I assume you mean the RC1 encounter, since I have never manaed to get a connection at all with RC2. I'll send 2, neither of which worked except on the GM machine - now sent.

At the moment, it is the RC2 problem that is worst since it is the most fully featured & 'working ' version & I cannot get it to work at all (well, it works on the GM machine, but the client won't connect to it).

Yes, I have been very careful to make sure that I run the same version of BRPG on both machines at the same time - RC1 always connects & RC2 never does.

I've also double/treble/quadruple checked all firewall settings to make sure that they are open for both versions.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:29 pm

Try moving the INI file to someplace else on your player client's hard disk, then launch and try to connect. Perhaps the INI file is the culprit. It's the only major change (in regards to connecting) between RC1 and RC2.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:33 pm

heruca wrote:Your best bet for now might be to preload all the Encounter assets on the player client, and see if that makes the error messages go away, at least. I propose this not as a workaround, but as a means of diagnosing the problem.
I'll try this in the morning.

All the encounters are on the client, as are all the objects/figures. Haven't tried loading them on a standalone basis though.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:05 pm

heruca wrote:How strange. Encounters should load if you're connected, and without script errors. Even if the tokens in use fail to transfer to the client, you'd still at least see question mark icons in place of the tokens, and no script errors.
The RC1 unit transfer bug did cause script errors on the player clients, and question mark icons would never show up either.
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=455

But that's irrelevant, since unit transfers work fine in RC2 for me, with exception of the jump in CPU usage.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:17 pm

Omnidon wrote:But that's irrelevant, since unit transfers work fine in RC2 for me, with exception of the jump in CPU usage.
But only irrelevant for me, if I can get RC2 to connect. :( :(

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:36 pm

Update:

Today, RC2 continues to fail to host on either machine.

RC1 hosts on both, but the client cannot connect with the host - so today RC1 is not connecting, whereas yesterday it connected virtually every time.

I did notice that CPU use (on the client machine) was running quite often at over 90% (99% some of the time); memory usage was usually over 140MB on that machine. On the GM machine, memory usage is running at 245MB. All these figures for RC1.

Haven't had a chance to check out any other machines today.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:43 pm

For RC1? I'm surprised you had high memory & cpu usage in RC1. I hadn't seen that problem until RC2.
:?

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:50 pm

Omnidon wrote:For RC1?
Yes. I'd more or less given up on RC2 for the moment (until Heruca finds a solution for me), since its failure to host seems very stable on my machines.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:24 pm

Did you try removing the INI file from RC2, like I suggested?

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:37 pm

Yes, it is still 100% false positive hosting (though I've tried it fewer times - only about 10).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:51 pm

You know, one thing that can cause hosting to fail is if the player client tries to join the game before it has been hosted. That makes the port appear busy and unavailable to the host machine.

By the way, have you tried hosting on other ports besides the default one?

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:11 pm

I haven't tried other ports, but will now.

Nearly all the time, the host has been up before the player. Once or twoice the host crashed, but there then did not seem any problem starting it again and rehosting (RC1 previously of course(