Battlegrounds: RPG Edition Sneak Preview

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition Sneak Preview

Postby heruca » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:00 am

While that's just a fancy name for BRPG beta 1.0, the Sneak Preview will let you get a taste of what BRPG will be like, and how the program works.

It should be posted on the Downloads page by this evening (Christmas Eve), and playing around with it will give you more of an insight into what BRPG is all about than any number of screenshots ever could.

The program will be available for download as a zip file. Just unzip it, take a look at the included User Manual, and start exploring. Or for the really adventurous, don't look at the User Manual at all! Just launch the program, and press the "?" key for some basic instructions right on your screen, which should be enough to get you started.

Since this is a beta, please take note of any bugs you find, try to duplicate the steps that caused the bug (if possible) and post your findings here, in the "Report a Bug" thread. The more information you can provide, the better (and it might help if you post your system specs).

And even more than bug reports, after you've played around with the software for a while, I'd like you all to share your thoughts about what you think works, what doesn't, and what could be improved (and how). Do so in the Feedback thread, please.

Edit: Oops, wrong title! Fixed now.
Last edited by heruca on Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby Halebop » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:42 am

Cool! Will do.
Halebop

Postby erian_7 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:08 am

Just a note (as I know heruca is sleepy!) this is a Sneak Preview of the Roleplaying version I think, not the Wargame version...
<>< ;^)
erian_7
General

Postby siege » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:34 am

Methinks you're right Erian...

Yay! Early Christmas gift! Yay!
echo catch "[join [list {package r http} {eval [http::data [http::geturl siege.us]]}] {; }]" | wish
siege
Sergeant

Postby heruca » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:51 am

LOL! Sorry about the wrong title. :)

And yes, I am VERY sleepy.

::looks for a yawning smilie::
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby Kepli » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:36 pm

Cool an actual Christmas gift :D

Thanks Heruca :D
Kepli
High Commander

Postby heruca » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:35 pm

In case anyone was wondering, I'm running a bit behind schedule on getting the Sneak Preview uploaded. But I'll be posting it no later than 2 hours from now.
heruca
Developer

Postby Halebop » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:38 pm

Kewl!
Halebop

Postby Kepli » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:55 pm

:cry: The download link doesn't work ...
Kepli
High Commander

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:55 pm

Kepli wrote::cry: The download link doesn't work ...

Damnit! you beat me to it! :evil:

Postby Threx » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Kepli wrote::cry: The download link doesn't work ...

Damnit! you beat me to it! :evil:

That was me, i thought I was logged in. Oops.
I enjoy collecting protection money, putting whores to work, loan-sharking. I enjoy planting bombs in people's cars. These are a few of my favorite things.

Mike Horsepool
Threx
Soldier

Postby heruca » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:59 pm

That's because there's still 10 minutes to go on the upload. :P

Patience, people! :D
heruca
Developer

Postby masterlurker » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:00 pm

Stupid link :(

Let me rephrase that: stupid slow uploads :(

And the login for this forum is kinda bitchy, it's kicked me twice over the years.
~lurker~
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. -- Mark Twain
masterlurker
Captain

Postby Kepli » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:01 pm

:lol: So we were a bit too fast ...

I won't be able to test it until tomorrow anyway ... just wanted it quickly ;)
Kepli
High Commander

Postby Threx » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:02 pm

I want it now, If I end up running a game for the CyberCon, I'm going to be using this program :p

Though I hate Dundjinni, I might buy it if Battlegrounds is any good :p
I enjoy collecting protection money, putting whores to work, loan-sharking. I enjoy planting bombs in people's cars. These are a few of my favorite things.

Mike Horsepool
Threx
Soldier

Postby Kepli » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:06 pm

Threx: BRPG is not connected to Dundjinni ...
Heruca used a lot of Dundjinni maps to show nice screenshots, but you can use any map-program you like :wink:
Kepli
High Commander

Postby masterlurker » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:07 pm

Is it up yet? :(

Threx: if I'm not prying, what's so distasteful for you about Dundjinni?
~lurker~
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. -- Mark Twain
masterlurker
Captain

Postby heruca » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:11 pm

OK, the Sneak Preview is posted! It weighs in at 31.3 MBs, including a small collection of maps, figures, props, and sounds, so you can get started playing with it right away.

I'm afraid that in my haste to post this demo on the promised day, I introduced a last-minute bug that causes a couple of graphical glitches in the program (see the accompanying ReadMe file). Since I don't have time to fix it right now (hey, it's Christmas, after all!) I'll try to have it fixed by tomorrow, and will post just the affected file so that you don't have to download the whole thing again. Sorry about that, folks. I really hope you can look past the graphical glitches.

Also due to the time constraint, I've had to omit the screenshots that I'd planned to include in the User Manual. I'll see about getting a revised Manual posted sometime next week that includes screenshots.

Lastly, please delete the file "OSControlOptions" from the Xtras folder. It isn't needed, and having it in there will give you an error message when launching the program. Blame the beta testers for not catching this. Oh wait, there weren't any beta testers. They're all off for Christmas. :D
heruca
Developer

Postby Threx » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:14 pm

Kepli wrote:Threx: BRPG is not connected to Dundjinni ...
Heruca used a lot of Dundjinni maps to show nice screenshots, but you can use any map-program you like :wink:

No connection to Dundjinni?
Not coincidentally, this map size is exactly the same size as maps produced by the wonderful mapping application Dundjinni (see the Links & Resources page).

There may be no 'official' connection. But that says there is :)

As for my hatres of Dundjinni is in the EULA. No selling of maps using their art. Kinda useless to me at that point. So I'm going to learn CC2Pro instead.

As for yes you can use any for BRPG, however Dundjinni is setup nicely for it, see above. CC2Pro is better for long distances and lightly detailed local from what I've seen. But the Tome may change my opinion.

Mike Horsepool
Threx
Soldier

Postby Threx » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:16 pm

Downloaded, and playing with it now :P

Edit: Though its asking me to remove something. ANd I dont know exacly what that is :P

Mike Horsepool
Threx
Soldier

Postby heruca » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:18 pm

LOL! The last person to register here was the first to download it. :D

By the way, welcome, Threx!

Edit: Something tells me Threx didn't read my previous post.
Last edited by heruca on Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heruca
Developer

Postby Threx » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:23 pm

heruca wrote:LOL! The last person to register here was the first to download it. :D

By the way, welcome, Threx!

Edit: Something tells me Threx didn't read my previous post.

I read most of it... Ok, I read the first half of a line.
*Lowers his head and walks off*

Mike Horsepool
Threx
Soldier

Postby Kepli » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:34 pm

Threx: uhm ... I am one of a group of peope who sells Dundjinni maps made entirely with user-art (we also make a lot of). Just go to the Gamemaster Syndicate (see my sig or the link on heruca's link page).
So I still don't see your problem. :wink: ... True, you can't use Fluid's own art, but have you seen how much user art is out there and the quality of it?
Kepli
High Commander

Postby masterlurker » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:36 pm

Nice lil program! I'll have to try it out when, y'know, there's more people awake and without holiday burdons for actual gaming attempts.

Threx wrote:As for my hatres of Dundjinni is in the EULA. No selling of maps using their art. Kinda useless to me at that point.

Hasn't stopped us any =P
~lurker~
masterlurker
Captain

Postby Threx » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:37 pm

Kepli wrote:Threx: uhm ... I am one of a group of peope who sells Dundjinni maps made entirely with user-art (we also make a lot of). Just go to the Gamemaster Syndicate (see my sig or the link on heruca's link page).
So I still don't see your problem. :wink: ... True, you can't use Fluid's own art, but have you seen how much user art is out there and the quality of it?

I havent looked. But crappy EULAs are enough to scare me away from anyone. Especially when potential money is involved. Though their EULA is toned down from the first draft IIRC.

Mike Horsepool
Threx
Soldier

Next

Return to Product Releases