Maps on the Fly

"How Do I...?"
Tralfas
Cannon Fodder

Maps on the Fly

Post by Tralfas » Mon May 15, 2006 7:16 pm

I want to use battlegrounds as a tabletop only utility (with dual monitor off my laptop and 2 instances of battlegrounds running, the player one on a projector/TV). However most of the maps I would need during the course of the session are really off the cuff. So I can't have maps prepared ahead of time and need to put down a straight forward dungeon room or wilderness encounter layout.

So the question is what do people do for creating maps quickly on the fly without holding up the session? It would be great if Battlegrounds had a tool to make a map up quickly with some simple drawing tools, symbols, and then throwing a grid down on it.

So what would the current users do to handle this? And plans for making this easier in a future version?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 15, 2006 7:40 pm

Before long, I hope to provide generic room and hallway objects that GM's can use to lay down an improvised map. Those "tiles" could then be further customized by adding decorative objects (furniture, fountains, doors, stairs, etc.). There will also be a way to lock those tiles so that they aren't accidentally selected by the GM when he/she clicks on them.

Beyond that, a GM's drawing layer is definitely planned. Aside from drawing basic walls and such, I'm hoping to have some really nice texture-fills, so that improvised maps won't even look improvised.

But right now, BRPG requires some preparation time by the GM before the game session. At least for indoor encounters, since the tools for improvising many outdoor encounters are already in place.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tralfas
Cannon Fodder

Post by Tralfas » Mon May 15, 2006 7:53 pm

Then the real question becomes how hard is it to throw together a quick map in something like Dunjinni that simply has walls, doors, halls, and maybe a few quick symbols (a tomb, etc) tossed down on it? Any current users of that have any input? Or any other quick authoring tool that can do this quickly? Be good if it took no longer (or not much) that erasing the previous map of the battle map and drawing a new one.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon May 15, 2006 8:04 pm

Hi Tralfas, yeah I too am a big fan of off-the-cuff gaming. It seems too artificial if you plan everything out in advance and force the players to follow that path.

I have been looking into ways to do as you suggested for quite some time. I am currently looking at Dunjinni and am trying to get more information about Campaign Cartographer 3 (not yet released).

Mapping quickly is a pain in general, but heruca's plans for drawing and symbol features sound a lot better than I expected.

For now though, I am still hashing out this problem myself. I'd love to discuss it more with you. My contacts are in my profile, feel free to try to reach me. I'm often on YIM and MSN and I check this forum a lot too. ;-)

Crow
Soldier

Post by Crow » Mon May 15, 2006 8:41 pm

I've been using Dundjinni for a bit and doing a quick map isn't too hard if you have an idea of what you want and you are familiar with the map. I think the thing that takes the most time in Dundjinni is knowing exactly where the item that you want to paste is. Items are split into different groupings and sometimes is a real pain to find the item that you want, when you want it. But you can draw up a simple room map fairly quickly using the draw square, fill, etc tools.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Mon May 15, 2006 9:05 pm

Tralfas wrote:...how hard is it to throw together a quick map in something like Dunjinni that simply has walls, doors, halls, and maybe a few quick symbols (a tomb, etc) tossed down on it?
Using the stamp tool, wacking down walls, floors, doors and a handful of objects would take just a few minutes. Because the map is simple, exporting at BRPGs native 61 pixel resolution would also only take a couple of minutes.

I prefer more detailed maps myself but I'm also happy to build a repertoire of detailed but generic maps to use on the fly.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 15, 2006 11:26 pm

And if users share those generic maps they made with other users, everyone would quickly have an impressive repertoire of generic, reusable maps.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue May 16, 2006 6:32 am

Agreed ... I think Halebop and me (and others) will definitely provide BRPG players with some more generic maps.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue May 16, 2006 2:03 pm

I'll certainly be sharing maps and more once I get a good system of doing it down.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:28 pm

heruca wrote:Before long, I hope to provide generic room and hallway objects that GM's can use to lay down an improvised map. Those "tiles" could then be further customized by adding decorative objects (furniture, fountains, doors, stairs, etc.). There will also be a way to lock those tiles so that they aren't accidentally selected by the GM when he/she clicks on them.
Just wanted to mention that I've added that object locking feature.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:49 am

Sounds good :D

Can things be unlocked in any way? What happens if you want to change the map?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:29 am

You can unlock things from the Unit Manager, which now has a lock button that toggles state.

When things are locked it feels like they're just part of the map, except of course you can move thing under them.