Questions about battlegrounds specifically about using a projector

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
mehrkat
Cannon Fodder

Questions about battlegrounds specifically about using a projector

Post by mehrkat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:05 pm

I want a system that allows me to have one laptop for computer and project maps onto the wall for battle maps.

I've found most of the computer support software is mostly for essentially GM help or made for playing remotely. I've been pondering Battlegrounds for a while and I'm considering making it my birthday gift from me to me.

Questions:
1. I want to put the battlemap on the computer and project the map (using a projector) and I want to personalize the map and then move things around as tokens.
A. According to the licensing page it says I need one GM license and one floating license. Does that mean i need two computers? Is that correct? Will I need to be bouncing between two computers to make things work?

2. I would like movable fog of war on that screen but not have a bunch of info on the main projection that I don't want the players to see.

3. Basically I want minimalist look think a virtual battle map

4. What art comes with the program (I know there is lot of extra art you can buy and some for free but what comes with it)? I'm not unwilling to pay for art but I want enough to use to see if I like the program and use it

5. How hard is it to change other art into tokens you can move around? Currently I own a whole lot of Campaign Cartographer and I would like to be able to make tokens that I can use with Battlegrounds.

6. how hard is it to change other maps into maps (more campaign cartographer stuff)? please note things created are usually downloadable as pdfs and bitmaps.

From other users if possible.
1. How do you use the program?
2. How difficult do you find to develop the skills to use the basic functions of the program?
2. What is your favorite thing about the program?
3. Has anyone used the program as I describe if so how did it go?

Thanks to anyone willing to help me decide whether to pull the trigger.

rab46
Captain

Re: Questions about battlegrounds specifically about using a projector

Post by rab46 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi Mehrkat,

I'll take a shot a some of the questions:

1. Yes, I think you could project the map on a wall or screen although I don't.
1A. No, one computer. The GM license is what you will run on your computer. The floating license is for a second player that could connect remotely. I use the program solo only, but I think folks use the GM license to run games for groups of people that connect in remotely.

2. I know absolutely nothing about the fog of war features. I port wargames into BGE to play them. Fog of war isn't something I use.

4. No art comes with the program but that's not much of an issue, see 5.

5. You can import most any supported scanned image file into the program to use as a token. I typically import JPG or PNG files. I don't know anything about Campaign Cartographer, but if the images are in a supported format (or can be converted to a supported format) you can use them.

6. The manual says that game maps must be JPG format so you would have to convert the images. This isn't hard.

As I mentioned earlier, I convert wargames I own. I do this by scanning the components and importing them into the program. Then it's just a matter of setting the game up on the screen however I see fit. I don't think the program is all that difficult to use. Honestly, if you're willing to do a little experimenting and trial and error you can teach yourself the basics pretty easily. I taught myself over the course of several days using just the manual (which is pretty comprehensive), Once the images are scanned, I can create a game in a few hours. My favorite thing about the program is it's flexibility. I put together a write up on a game I converted a few years ago, Patton's Best. You can find it somewhere on the BGE site. It might be worth a read. After email email client and browser BGE is the most used program on my computer. I only wish Hernan would start work on version 2!

As an aside, you might want to check out the project that has occupied most of Hernan's time for the past several months. He's working on a program he calls MapForge and it is used to generate maps for games. You might like that too.

If you have any additional questions, ask away.

Randy

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 pm

Welcome, Mehrkat.

This forum thread provides instructions for how to run both the GM CLient and a Player Client on a single computer.

For information on adding your own maps and tokens into BRPG, see pp. 150-152 of the BRPG User Manual.

Pg. 156 of the User Manual talks briefly about using BRPG with a projector.

Here's a link to the article that rab46/Randy made reference to.

5. Here are some links to websites where you can get loads of free tokens that you can use in BRPG/BGE.

6. You will need to use a third-party utility (usually free) to extract images from PDFs before you can use them in BRPG or BGE.

Are you planning on playing RPGs, or wargames?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

mehrkat
Cannon Fodder

Post by mehrkat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:37 pm

Thanks to both of you. That answered all of my questions. The links were incredibly helpful.

I've been wanting to use electronic battle maps for RPG game battles. This might finally be the one that flips the switch for me. I have mapping software (Profantasy stuff) and hope to mostly create the items in that software and move it into BRPG your new mapping software almost captured me if I had noticed before the special closed.

Peace and Best wishes to you