BRPG v1.8 beta released

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements

BRPG v1.8 beta released

Postby heruca » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Edit: Now that BRPG v1.8a has been released, v1.8 has been rendered obsolete. If you install BRPG v1.8a using the Patch rather than the Full Install, please follow the suggestion I made in the second post of this thread.

BRPG v1.8 is now available for download. It is to be considered in beta status for the time being.

The main features of this update are:
¢ Added a Gallery Browser for browsing both local media and artpack media more quickly and efficiently
¢ Added a "Create Multi-Token Figure" command
¢ Usability and customization improvements

The format for Encounters and Deployments has not changed since v1.7d.

BRPG v1.8 is currently only available as a patch for v1.7d or v1.7e. You must already have v1.7d or v1.7e installed in order to use this patch.

Download:
BRPG v1.8 Patch for Mac & Windows (4.3 MB)

How to "install" this patch: Unzip the downloaded file, then simply move the included files into the corresponding BRPG v1.7d or v1.7e folders, overwriting the existing files when prompted.

Although a ReadMe file with the information below is contained in the v1.8 download, some people might find it useful to see the changes prior to downloading the zip file.

Version History:
v1.8

¢ Added a Gallery Browser for browsing both local media and artpack media more quickly and efficiently. This larger window displays up to 11 assets at a time, and is currently available when placing figures or objects. Text labels under each thumbnail display the asset's name. In future releases, the Gallery Browser will also be available when adding tokens to a unit, when browsing or attaching audio clips, and when browsing Visual Aids or the Library assets. Due to speed and RAM usage concerns, there are no plans to ever support using a Gallery Browser to peruse items in the "Maps" folder.
¢ Added a magnified view to the Gallery Browser. A magnifying glass icon will appear over any thumbnail that has been reduced in size to less than 80% of its native size. Hovering over this icon, or clicking on it, will show the asset at its native size, or as large as possible within the constraints of the Gallery Browser window. If even the magnified view had to be scaled down to fit the window, a text label will indicate the scale factor that the image is being displayed at. The magnified image is shown by default over a black partially-transparent background. While this is adequate for most images, it may not be ideal for very dark images; in this case, the user can hold down the Shift key to change the background color to white until the key is released.
¢ The browser panels and the Gallery Browser can now be navigated using the Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down keys.
¢ Change: In the Gallery Browser, Flash assets can now be properly previewed prior to importing them. In prior releases, Flash media would always display a blank thumbnail unless the asset had been previously imported into BRPG.
¢ Added an option to disable the door opening and door closing sounds that the Chat window makes when players join or leave a game session (some users found these sound effects too jarring or disruptive).
¢ Added an option to toggle whether or not the GM can see hidden figures that are controlled by other players.
¢ Moved several commands in the BG button's popup menu into a new "Session-Specific Settings" submenu, to better organize these toggle settings and to reduce the length of the BG button's popup menu.
¢ Added a "Create Multi-Token Figure" command, which is available to the GM only while offline (i.e., when a game session is not currently being hosted). This command works either with local directories or with artpack categories.
¢ Added the ability to delete specific dice macros that are attached to figures or objects (useful if the dice macro is no longer needed, or was saved/attached to a unit by mistake).
Last edited by heruca on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:07 pm

I suggest you all do the following just prior to (or immediately after) updating to BRPG v1.8 via the above patch.

1. In BRPG's "Objects" folder, create a new folder called "Animations".
2. Move the following four files from the "Objects" folder to the "Animations" folder:
"Animated Fire.png"
"Campfire, Lit, Silent.png"
"Campfire, Lit.png"
"Light Glow.png"

Doing this will help avoid undesired sound effects playing every time you want to place an object (in addition to better organizing your media for more efficient browsing).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Here's a screenshot of the new Gallery Browser, which makes finding a particular media asset much easier and faster than with the previous "one-asset-at-a-time" media browser. The Gallery Browser also allows you to see a magnified view of any media asset that has been significantly reduced in size in the image thumbnail, just by clicking on or mousing over a magnifying glass icon.
Attachments
Gallery Browser Preview.png
Gallery Browser Preview.png (472.68 KiB) Viewed 4995 times
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:10 pm

I discovered a bug* in the original release of this patch, so I fixed it and uploaded a new patch. If you've already installed the original patch, please download it again and copy the "Map.dxr" file into the "Support Files" directory of your BRPG v1.8 installation.

* The bug that was fixed had to do with the new "Session-Specific Settings" submenu, which was not being compiled correctly.
heruca
Developer

Re: BRPG v1.8 beta released

Postby markuwp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:03 pm

heruca wrote:BRPG v1.8 is now available for download. It is to be considered in beta status for the time being.

There are so many helpful improvements in this version! Our group has been happy with the stability of 1.7d so had decided we were just going to stick with that for a while instead of moving through the new beta versions, but there is too much good stuff here to resist. Some of these changes may not be visible to players, but from a GM perspective I think this is the best new feature set since we got automated initiative. Heruca, thank you for all your work continuing to make this product even better.
markuwp
General

Postby heruca » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Glad you like it. :D

As you know, the Gallery Browser was added in large part based on your feedback.

You can use the Gallery Browser to print out "contact sheets" of your artpacks by taking screenshots of each page, but perhaps the ability to browse your media faster means that you no longer need to have printed contact sheets to reference.

I hope that this release will help make artpacks more popular with BRPG users.
heruca
Developer

Postby TRIAD4Evr » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:48 am

The new patch seems to have some issues- neither my XP machine nor my Win7 machine can open it- XP says that it's extraction is blocked, and when I follow the unblock instructions it remains blocked. My Win7 machine says that it's an invalid file. Any chance you could zip it up in another manner or make a self-extracting zip of it? Not sure what the problem is.
TRIAD4Evr
General

Postby heruca » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:00 am

I'll try to upload a new Zip file tomorrow using a safer (more compatible) zipping utility.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:42 pm

OK, try again, TRIAD4Evr.
heruca
Developer

Postby TRIAD4Evr » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:12 am

Seems like it did the trick!
TRIAD4Evr
General

Postby heruca » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Can I get some user feedback on this release? Anyone having any problems with it?
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:18 pm

I think I may have found a bug with this release, in that it may not properly load maps from artpacks such as the Base Map Pack or the Ravenlands artpacks. If someone who owns one of those artpacks could test this to confirm one way or the other, I'd appreciate it.

The bug is already fixed for BRPG v1.8a.
heruca
Developer

Postby severin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:03 am

The gallery browser is great improvement! Thanks for all of your hard work and support.
severin
Captain

Postby Motdc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:13 am

I'm not experienced in knowing how to upgrade (or even in knowing if it is generally safe to do so). But that Gallery Browser looks great. Any recommendations or tips from anyone?
Motdc
Captain

Postby heruca » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:15 pm

Instructions for installing the patch are included in the zip file. If you're still unsure, you could always watch Tutorial #2 in this forum thread. It's not about installing a patch, but rather an adventure module; still, the basic procedure is the same.
heruca
Developer

Postby MadWelshWizard » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:55 pm

New gallery feature looks awesome however I'm not getting the Cancel / Select buttons I see in your screen shot ?

Am running Windows 7, installed update over a blank 1.7e install.

Craig
MadWelshWizard
Sergeant

Postby Omnidon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:28 pm

I too do not get the cancel/select buttons (Win7) on v1.8 clean install.
Omnidon
Site Admin

Postby heruca » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:24 am

That's odd. I wonder if this issue is affecting all Windows users.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:49 am

I think I found and fixed the bug.

To those experiencing the missing buttons issue, do you see what might be the bottom edge of the buttons peeking out from underneath the 9th thumbnail area?
heruca
Developer

Postby gurgi » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:18 pm

heruca wrote:To those experiencing the missing buttons issue, do you see what might be the bottom edge of the buttons peeking out from underneath the 9th thumbnail area?

Here is what I see:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/cdSZEn6XMJwSNqniw6BwoRFnQnPVGs77dSkFq11JC7rTwnvqObTgzxY1tzDPwCoDzdfthPhjZUA

Also, while I can't see buttons, selecting a figure/object and hitting enter does work, and esc does cancel. If it weren't for people saying they don't have buttons, I might not have even noticed. :)

-Greg[/img]
gurgi
Soldier

Postby heruca » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:11 pm

I can't access the image you posted (don't have permission). But thanks for confirming the error. It's already fixed for BRPG v1.8a.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:58 am

I found another bug in this release. Previewing of audio clips was not working properly. This bug is already fixed for BRPG v1.8a.

Given that several bugs have been discovered in v1.8, I don't recommend trying to use this release for actual gaming. Please wait for v1.8a, which should be released later this week.

If anyone comes across any other issues with v1.8, please report them ASAP, so that they can be addressed in v1.8a. Thanks.
heruca
Developer

Postby TRIAD4Evr » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Wow, I've been using 1.8 for a couple weeks now without any new issues! I may be needing it again on Saturday... Guess I'd better wait for the patch!!!
TRIAD4Evr
General

Postby Omnidon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:05 pm

TRIAD4Evr wrote:Wow, I've been using 1.8 for a couple weeks now without any new issues! I may be needing it again on Saturday... Guess I'd better wait for the patch!!!

If the issues are not affecting your gameplay, then you mayaswell continue using it.
heruca's warning was just meant to ensure that people don't upgrade to 1.8 right before a major game and encounter unexpected issues because of it.
Omnidon
Site Admin

1.8 problem

Postby dittotb » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:09 pm

When I open the library module and click on the missile chart that you have there I get a script error message.
dittotb
Soldier

Next

Return to Product Releases