Can the hex grid be rotated?

rab46
Captain

Can the hex grid be rotated?

Post by rab46 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:38 pm

I'd like to rotate the hex grid 90 degrees so I can lay game boards out in the same orientation as shown on scenario guides. I've tried rotating the overlay grid and selecting it in Preferences but the hex mouse cursor highlight remains oriented as it was originally. I've been rotating boards to fit the grid but wonder if it's possible to rotate the grid instead.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:47 am

The only way you can rotate the grid is if you are willing to live without the snap-to-grid feature and without mini bases. You also have to turn off the Movement Guide.

But it's certainly possible to play a game with a rotated hexgrid. The "Asteroid Zero-Four" game conversion I made is a good example.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:24 pm

OK. Since I need the snap to grid feature for checking LOS guess I'll just continue to orient the maps as needed to support snap to grid. Thanks.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:55 pm

I've got some non-rotated hex grids made up with sighting dots in the hexes for LOS purposes. Let me know if you want me to send them to you. They would be stored in the "Grids" folder, and selected using the Preferences panel.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:03 pm

That would be great, thanks. Only colors I probably need are gray and black.

This might help me with another thing I've been toying with in my mind. I'd like to enlarge the hexes to reduce counter stacking. Something akin to Deluxe ASL modules for anyone that remembers those. Maybe I can rescale the grid (by a factor of 2 or 3), match the board to the new grid scale and then turn off snap to grid.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:19 pm

If you make a grid where each hex is exactly 3 times the size of the current hexes, I suspect you can keep the snap-to-grid feature enabled, and you'll have 7 snapping points per "hex" (what I call a "megahex").

Of course then instead of a 40 x 46 hex grid, it'll be more like a 13.5 x 15.3 hex grid.