"Armies of the Deep" Artpack

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements

"Armies of the Deep" Artpack

Postby heruca » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:49 pm

This artpack, called "Armies of the Deep", consists of assorted troops (footsoldiers, leaders, corpses, etc.), all rendered in a homogenous style, allowing you to depict five fantasy races: Drow, Driders, Duergar, Dwarves, and Orcs). Included are a "Ready/Idle" pose, an "In Combat" pose, and a "Dead/Prone" pose for nearly every figure (ideal for use with BRPG's token-swapping feature).

The figures are broken down into the following categories:
Drow (aka Dark Elves) (27)
Driders (4)
Duergar (12)
Dwarves (42) (21, + 21 color mods)
Orcs (29)

All 114 figures in this 8.6 MB artpack come pre-sized and pre-rotated for use in Battlegrounds. They've all been scaled to match each other in relative size, and are all high-resolution (122 pixels per cell), so they won't pixelate even at full zoom in BRPG. The figures are suitable for a game scale of 3 feet per hex (and 5 feet per square, too, of course).

Even when you don't need an army, many of these figures can be used to represent PCs or NPCs, so they should be useful in a number of games.

The "Armies of the Deep" artpack costs $10 for GMs (but, like all artpacks, is free for players). It can be purchased from the BG Store. Half of the proceeds will go to Alynnalizza (the artist), and the other half to support continued development of BRPG. And if this artpack does well, Alynnalizza will probably create more artpacks in the future.

The "Armies of the Deep" artpack makes a great companion set for the "Medieval Armies" artpack and/or the "Elven Armies" artpack.

Note that players will need to have this artpack installed during sessions where the GM will use it, and everyone must be using BRPG v1.6m or higher.

Below are preview images of the five races included in this pack. The first screenshot was taken at 200% zoom, so that you can see all the detail. The second screenshot was taken at 170% zoom, to fit more tokens into the preview image. Be sure to click on each image to see it at full size.

Drow, Drider, and Duergar:

Dwarves vs. Orcs:

Note that the Dwarves in "blue" platemail are color mods of the earth-colored Dwarves, rather than custom renders.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Great artpack, bad timing

Postby markuwp » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:02 pm

For the past 5 years I've been running a series of completely underground campaigns in a custom D&D setting. The whole time it's been going I've been searching for more underground maps and tokens. The artpack looks like exactly what I've been needing... except that recently the characters in my campaign discovered a legendary land called "The Surface" and are now trapped there, cut off from all underground lands and creatures. Maybe this artpack should inspire me to let them find a way home!
markuwp
General

Re: Great artpack, bad timing

Postby Alynnalizza » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:30 pm

markuwp wrote:For the past 5 years I've been running a series of completely underground campaigns in a custom D&D setting. The whole time it's been going I've been searching for more underground maps and tokens. The artpack looks like exactly what I've been needing... except that recently the characters in my campaign discovered a legendary land called "The Surface" and are now trapped there, cut off from all underground lands and creatures. Maybe this artpack should inspire me to let them find a way home!

Sorry my timing was off :D

Hopefully you'll enjoy this artpack. I tried to make it somewhat varied.

Thanks.
Asgardnorth.net & Asgardnorth.com , 2 sources for your Fantasy Needs. Com for freebies, Net for commercial items. Stop by and take a look.
Alynnalizza
Captain

Postby heruca » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Look at the bright side: 40% of the artpack (Dwarves and Orcs) is suitable for the surface world. :D

BTW, I think my preview pics came out a bit dark this time (I must have used the wrong color palette, or something). The tokens are nowhere near this dark in BRPG.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby grofaz » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:52 pm

That looks really nice; the bases for the tokens seem transparent?
grofaz
Soldier

Postby heruca » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:03 am

The bases are a customizable feature in BRPG. You can set them to different colors, chose to use either square bases or hex bases, or turn the bases off altogether. In other words, the bases are not an integral part of the token artwork in this or any other artpack.

I tend to favor transparent bases, since they let you see the terrain that the figure is standing on, which is often a factor when determining combat modifiers and the like.
heruca
Developer

Art pack Review: Armies of the Deep

Postby cyberunner8 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Greeting all,
I noticed that there was a distinct lack of "Reviews" of well everything, so I will take a crack at it. I will review art packs in alphabetical order but if anyone wants a review on something please let me know.

Armies of the deep, is well worth your money. It is packed with 5 races like Drow, Driders, Duegar, Dwarves, and Orcs. Each figure is richly detailed.

Here is a breakdown of what you get.

The Drow comes with 8 distinctly different figures. The Drow Priestess comes in 2 colors, while all have the 3 poses of idle, attack and dead.

The Driders comes with one figure with a idle weapon varation of a polearm. The figure also has the attack and dead poses.

The Duegar comes with 4 figures and the 3 poses of idle, attack and dead.

The Dwarves come with 7 figures, the 3 poses (except Dwarf with Battle Axe has no dead pose) and a version 'A' of each figure. The dwarven birdiche come with two idle poses.

The Orcs come with 7 figures, the 3 poses of idle, attack and dead. A few variations of attack poses and some A version are also mixed in.

There's a nice mix of common classes and weapons for each race. There is some spellcasters, missle weapon figures, but most are melee warrior based figures. It is an army set after all.
Each token keeps detail even at 200%. Only minor pixilation occurs at 400% zoom (figure 200% + zoom 200%) I have also used all figures in my games with no glitches.

And that is my two cents! ;) -Cyberunner
cyberunner8
Captain

Return to Product Releases