Feedback thread for "Guide to Choosing a VT"

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE

Feedback thread for "Guide to Choosing a VT"

Postby heruca » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Perhaps, as the developer of a VT, I am not the best-suited for writing such a guide, but no one else was doing it, and I think that with 60+ VTs now available, a guide like this was sorely needed.

While I tried to be objective in my "Guide to Choosing a VT" PDF, I suspect some people may want to comment about things I may have missed, or seem unfair, or that they agree with, or whatever. This is the place for any and all feedback on the guide.

My apologies to the developers of the VTs who were not listed as "Contenders". I know that there are some very nice programs out there with unique, interesting, and powerful features, but for some reason or other have not garnered sufficient marketshare/mindshare to be included.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby Kepli » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:53 am

Just read the PDf and can't find anything wrong at first glance.

Perhaps add a bit more about using maps, since that is what most VT's allow you to use and it gives the actual tabletop feeling. Not just adding maps and objects/tokens, but also if a VT allows you to build a map and has interactive elements that can be placed on the map. This can be an important selection criteria for some people.

I like that you kept thing a bit general. Otherwise you would have to write a complete book :wink:
Kepli
High Commander

Postby Spyke » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:12 pm

Nice guide. Note that iTabletop hasn't been subscription-based for a year or so now. It's currently $25 for a GM licence.

However, it's still quite buggy, though playable (and in my opinion well worth chipping in for). I'd actually point to the way iTabletop integrates with the social networking tools and allows everyone to share content within the VT as the unique selling point, rather than the audio-visual side of things (which can be added to any VT with a tool like Skype).

As you note later on, if you can afford it, having a set of VTs gets you the best of all worlds! We should all have BRPG, FG and iTT ready to fire up, and some replacement for Four Ugly Monsters to gather us together, (sigh).

Spyke
Spyke
Captain

Postby heruca » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:23 am

Spyke wrote:Note that iTabletop hasn't been subscription-based for a year or so now. It's currently $25 for a GM licence.

Doh! :oops: Thanks for pointing that out. I'll wait a bit to see if there is anything else I need to change, then I'll upload a fixed version of the PDF.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:47 am

heruca wrote:
Spyke wrote:Note that iTabletop hasn't been subscription-based for a year or so now. It's currently $25 for a GM licence.

Doh! :oops: Thanks for pointing that out. I'll wait a bit to see if there is anything else I need to change, then I'll upload a fixed version of the PDF.

No problem. I just checked the dates and it's not quite as long as I was remembering. It's been subs-free for just 6 months (since July), so it's not surprising you hadn't picked that up.

Cheers,
Spyke

Postby heruca » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:28 pm

I've gone ahead and uploaded a new version of the PDF to fix the iTabletop subscription error.

The guide is now also available at rpgvirtualtabletop.com, in a web page (wiki) format (rather than PDF). Direct link.
heruca
Developer

Return to Submit Feedback