Tile & Dice Issue

"How Do I...?"
Piraticus
Sergeant

Tile & Dice Issue

Post by Piraticus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:05 pm

So, I am attempting to playtest with one of my players right now and we're running into an issue.

All the objects and figures load on the map for her just fine. However, we're having two issues with the the tile that I created to the left of the map for us to roll dice on. She cannot see the object that I turned into a tile, which is the large wooden graphic with the campaign title and character portrait seen in the attached screenshot. She cannot see this large graphic.

On top of the tile, I have preloaded dice for us to use, mine being the transparent ones and hers being the solid ones. Even though she has downloaded the free dice artpack and put the dice.cxt in the Artpacks folder and 16 dice folders in the Deployments, she is only seeing question marks for the dice.

I am loading all of this for us from a saved encounter, so hopefully that is not causing an issue with the tile and dice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Piraticus
Sergeant

Post by Piraticus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:09 pm

Also, she says she accidentally installed BRPG to her desktop instead of inside Program Files or any deeper disk folder. Could that be causing the issue?

Julen
Cannon Fodder

Post by Julen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:41 pm

Indeed. This was my problem when trying to do a battle demo with Piraticus. Rather than getting his intended image above, all I see is this:

As he said, everything loads up perfectly fine accept for the dice and I completely missed out on the table design :(

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:40 am

Welcome, Julen.

If you installed the Dice artpack while BRPG was already running, you need to select the "Purge/Refresh Artpacks" command from the BG button's popup menu. Or, if it's easier for you, just relaunch BRPG.

Also, make sure you put the Dice artpack in the "Artpacks" folder, and not in the "Media Asset Bundles" folder (this seems to be a common mistake).

Piraticus, that graphic may be a bit too large for a peer-to-peer transfer, which in BRPG happens uncompressed and with a 2 MB limit. I suggest that you instead email the graphic and have Julen import it into BRPG prior to joining your session. An easy way to import is to place the graphic in the Visual Aids folder, and then use the "Send Visual Aid" command to select that graphic.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:42 am

Also, note that there are no transparent dice. The second set of dice looks transparent because they are Hidden from the player/s, and BRPG shows hidden items at 50% opacity. Select the second set of dice and press the [H] hotkey to un-Hide them.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:46 am

Piraticus wrote:Also, she says she accidentally installed BRPG to her desktop instead of inside Program Files or any deeper disk folder. Could that be causing the issue?
Not likely. I don't think BRPG cares where it is installed, as long as it is on a local hard drive (or flash drive) and you have read/write permission to everything in the BRPG folder.

Piraticus
Sergeant

Post by Piraticus » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:50 am

The jpeg graphic that I am using as my dice table (object tile) is only 384kb in size. Also, she has verified that the dice.cxt is in the Artpacks folder and that the 16 dice folders have been installed in the Deployments folders. As well, we both restarted BRPG several times, so I'm sure it's not an issue on her end of not having the artpack refreshed. The only thing I can think to do is verify with her that she only has one installation of BRPG and that she didn't accidentally install the artpack into a second unlicensed version. But this still doesn't explain how it would interfere with the peer-to-peer transfer of a 384kb jpeg used as an off-map object tile.

Also, I just wanted to verify that it is alright to have the dice objects preloaded and saved in an encounter, as I was not deploying them "live" with her in the session, but rather we tried it once with her coming into a game and them already deployed, and another time with me just loading a saved encounter. Setting up and positioning the dice is kind of a meticulous process, so I wanted to have things like that pre-loaded and ready to rock for players, once we get around to starting our campaign.

We're still scratching our heads over these two issues, and cannot move forward until we resolve them. :(

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:53 am

It doesn't matter in the least whether the dice are loaded in during a session while the player is connected, or if the dice are pre-loaded in the Encounter.

The 384KB JPG graphic loses its JPG compression upon import, and it could easily balloon to well over 2 MB. To confirm, try creating a new Encounter with nothing but the Dun map and that graphic, then export a media bundle. How big is the resulting file?

Piraticus
Sergeant

Post by Piraticus » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Oy. Then that's most likely definitely the problem for my Campaign Dice Table.

So I should send this graphic directly to my players and tell them to place it in the exact same Objects sub-folder that I have created in my directory?

Or maybe I could cut it into smaller "pieces" loaded as separate objects and turned into tiles. Would this method work, provided the uncompressed pieces are not larger than 2 megs?

And just to verify, there is no way to load server based objects like you can maps, as this would totally work around the problem for me, and that's how I used to load custom tokens in OpenRPG.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:30 pm

Piraticus wrote:So I should send this graphic directly to my players and tell them to place it in the exact same Objects sub-folder that I have created in my directory?
I think I mentioned before that placing a media asset in the same relative path on a client's computer doesn't achieve anything. Media needs to be imported into BRPG for the program to be able to display it.

An external media bundle is ideal for this, but if you want the player to have to do the importing manually, see above, where I mention the "Visual Aids" folder.
Piraticus wrote:Or maybe I could cut it into smaller "pieces" loaded as separate objects and turned into tiles. Would this method work, provided the uncompressed pieces are not larger than 2 megs?
Yes, this would work, but it is entirely too much effort. If you're that adamant about not using external media bundles, at least make BRPG do the dirty work for you, by loading your graphic as a map while the player is connected. BRPG will automatically segment the picture and stream it in small rows that will not exceed 2 MBs each. Once it's done transferring, that media is now available on the player's client, so that if you then load your "dice box" Encounter, the picture will show up instantly for the player.
Piraticus wrote:And just to verify, there is no way to load server based objects like you can maps, as this would totally work around the problem for me, and that's how I used to load custom tokens in OpenRPG.
Maps and Fog of War overlays are the only things that can be server-based in BRPG. Tokens, objects, portraits, and audio clips cannot be server-based. Perhaps in v2 that will be possible.

Piraticus
Sergeant

Post by Piraticus » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:37 pm

I saved the whole encounter as an external media bundle and sent that directly to her. I imported the media bundle and then loaded the encounter and she sees everything except for the table that still loads as a question mark. Are off-map object tiles not included in media asset bundles?

Piraticus
Sergeant

Post by Piraticus » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Er, the table just now displayed once she hit zoom. I then removed all units and reloaded the encounter and she saw everything once again, so I think we're good. Thanks for all the help and I'm sorry for being such a noobish pain.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:15 pm

Piraticus wrote:I saved the whole encounter as an external media bundle and sent that directly to her. I imported the media bundle and then loaded the encounter and she sees everything except for the table that still loads as a question mark.
On occasion, I have seen external media bundles fail to import completely the first time around, although importing the bundle a second time always seems to resolve the issue. Perhaps this happens when RAM is running low and the graphic that failed to import wouldn't have fit in the available RAM. Since BRPG auto-saves after the first import, that RAM becomes available again for subsequent imports. That's my guess, anyway.
Piraticus wrote:Are off-map object tiles not included in media asset bundles?
Yes, they are.

So are tokens from Sideboarded units.

Piraticus
Sergeant

Post by Piraticus » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Thank you so much for your continued help and patience, Heruca.