So I ran my second game using BGRPG......

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Shayd3000
Captain

So I ran my second game using BGRPG......

Post by Shayd3000 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:01 pm

So,

I ran my second game using BGRPG. Things definitely went better than the first time, and I think things actually moved FASTER because everyone had the tactical maps right in front of them.

I ran three encounters in this session, the first was a follow-on to the one in my first session, so it was very nice to be able to just load my saved encounter and just start! I especially liked that BGRPG remembered who all the unit owners were, and automatically assigned them!

It was also very nice to be able to just select all the units that were reinforcements in the unit manager then select "S" for them to just all appear. IMpressed my players to.

Same things with the next encounter I ran - as reinforcements came on, it was very easy for me to have them appear in their start location, as I had pre-prepared them.

Overall it went well, and we are continuing to learn more of the features as we play. It has thus far been an elegant replacement for our tactical miniatures map.

Some issues we noted:
*We are playing on a local LAN, and it seems that anyone logged into BGRPG gets locked out of the internet after a while. That is, any PC logged into BGRPG loses access to the internet. Not sure why this is happening.

*I started to set up a dungeon, and have noticed that as I set up the manual fog of war, it was "off" by half a grid. This has me very concerned, since part of getting BG was to mask a dungeon then reveal it as it was explored - a MUCH faster process then drawing it as they go - and cooler with the dynamic FOW tuned on also. However, with some of the rooms and stuff being fairly close, could cause some issues if the reveal is out of sink with the grid. (so is the conceal by the way).

*When I load a new encounter it says "Blackout Mode Enabled" on everyone's PC - but they can still see everything.

*Media Bundles are still not loading automatically. Could this be because when I created the bundle, the encounter was saved in a subdirectory? The bundle works fine when you manually import. I am placing the media bundles in the media bundle folder.

*Map file of 5 meg would not transfer completely through the LAN. Ultimatly I had to purge everyones media, and manually reload the media bundles. The everything worked great. Might have to look into setting up my host PC as a map server. I imagine I need to keep my maps somewhat smaller too.

*I accidently changed the map color and could not figure out how to get it back - since I didn't have a recent save and didn't want to lose positions (I save auto every 5 mins). It was an outdoor encounter, so it wasn't a biggie, but might be nice to know for interiors etc. In fact, an undo command would be really handy in a lot of situations.

*AOE templates. These were a bit tricky. It would sure be nice if someone could make a "spell effect" token pack. For example, a 4x4 grease spot for the grease spell. Dancing LIghts objects, etc. Also, while I think we're just going to adapt, it would be nice to see d20 AOE templates provided that correspond to the "official" AOE. We had some other minor issues with AOE's, but I don't recall that any were that serious and we managed to get through it (some were probably just learning curve stuff). Oh, it would be nice of the AOE were not just "dark" and "light" - we're worried it can cause confusion between is it light or darkness (plus, does it actually reveal anything? I didn't check - if so, that is a problem). Some AOE with color choices would be really good, sicnce some AOE's set by players need to stay in place. That said, we were ALL impressed when the cleric turned on his area of effect radio us centered on him, and it followed him around!

I am hoping the third session will finally get into the dinegeon where we can really flex the muscle of BG. That said, it would sure be nice to see Bullseye lanterns, and the ability of the player to change their light source (and not their vision type) make it in. Next game isn't for a few weeks do to some personal life issues in the group.

So far BGRPG has been an improvement to my game - even as we work through these issues.

George

heruca
Developer

Re: So I ran my second game using BGRPG......

Post by heruca » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:45 pm

Shayd3000 wrote:It was also very nice to be able to just select all the units that were reinforcements in the unit manager then select "S" for them to just all appear. IMpressed my players to.

Same things with the next encounter I ran - as reinforcements came on, it was very easy for me to have them appear in their start location, as I had pre-prepared them.
In addition to Sideboarding enemy reinforcements, another option is to select them, save them to a Deployment file, and then delete them from the Encounter. During play, when it is time to bring in the reinforcements, simply load that Deployment file. This method might be more efficient than hunting for Sideboarded units in the Unit Manager.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Shayd3000 wrote:*I started to set up a dungeon, and have noticed that as I set up the manual fog of war, it was "off" by half a grid. This has me very concerned, since part of getting BG was to mask a dungeon then reveal it as it was explored - a MUCH faster process then drawing it as they go - and cooler with the dynamic FOW tuned on also. However, with some of the rooms and stuff being fairly close, could cause some issues if the reveal is out of sink with the grid. (so is the conceal by the way).
That is odd. For the occasional fluke render, sometimes it helps to either click on the map or to zoom in or out a bit, which will ensure that the Fog of War overlays are redrawn at the exact same size as the map. By any chance, were you using the Map Offset feature? Or the Fog of War Overlay feature?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:02 pm

Shayd3000 wrote:We are playing on a local LAN, and it seems that anyone logged into BGRPG gets locked out of the internet after a while. That is, any PC logged into BGRPG loses access to the internet. Not sure why this is happening.
I've never heard of this problem before, from anyone. Could it have been something like a modem-reset? I would need more details about your setup to help diagnose the problem.
Shayd3000 wrote:When I load a new encounter it says "Blackout Mode Enabled" on everyone's PC - but they can still see everything.
This might be a bug. Was Fog of War disabled when this occurred?
Shayd3000 wrote:Media Bundles are still not loading automatically. Could this be because when I created the bundle, the encounter was saved in a subdirectory? The bundle works fine when you manually import. I am placing the media bundles in the media bundle folder.
Did you save the Encounter after exporting the media bundle? Doing so would cause the link between the Encounter and the media bundle to break. Exporting the bundle again after such a save should re-establish the link. It is also possible to edit an Encounter file using a word processor in order to re-establish the link by hand, if you don't feel like re-exporting the media bundle. Let me know if you need instructions for doing so.
Shayd3000 wrote:Map file of 5 meg would not transfer completely through the LAN. Ultimatly I had to purge everyones media, and manually reload the media bundles.
Were there black horizontal stripes across the map, on the player clients? Selecting the "Resend Missing Map Pieces" command can help. On occasion, you need to do this more than once.
Shayd3000 wrote:I accidently changed the map color and could not figure out how to get it back - since I didn't have a recent save and didn't want to lose positions (I save auto every 5 mins). It was an outdoor encounter, so it wasn't a biggie, but might be nice to know for interiors etc. In fact, an undo command would be really handy in a lot of situations.
Did the existing Undo command not work to change the map color back? Loading a different map will also clear the map color, but of course you'd probably have to do this a second time to get back to the original map you wanted to use.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:30 am

Shayd3000 wrote:*AOE templates. <SNIP> it would be nice to see d20 AOE templates provided that correspond to the "official" AOE. We had some other minor issues with AOE's, but I don't recall that any were that serious and we managed to get through it (some were probably just learning curve stuff). Oh, it would be nice of the AOE were not just "dark" and "light" - we're worried it can cause confusion between is it light or darkness (plus, does it actually reveal anything? I didn't check - if so, that is a problem). Some AOE with color choices would be really good, sicnce some AOE's set by players need to stay in place.
I believe the AoE templates provided with BRPG are accurate for 3rd edition D&D. For 4E D&D, I added the Blast, Burst, and Wall shapes. Have you tried those yet?

AoEs do not reveal anything; they merely visually mark grid cells that might be affected by something, like a spell effect. I provide light and dark variants because light AoEs don't show up well on a very light map, and dark AoEs don't show up well on a very dark map.
Shayd3000 wrote:it would sure be nice to see Bullseye lanterns, and the ability of the player to change their light source (and not their vision type) make it in. Next game isn't for a few weeks do to some personal life issues in the group.
I hope to have the next release out in a week or two. It will support cone-shaped light sources like the bullseye lantern.

Shayd3000
Captain

Post by Shayd3000 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:51 pm

heruca wrote:
Shayd3000 wrote:We are playing on a local LAN, and it seems that anyone logged into BGRPG gets locked out of the internet after a while. That is, any PC logged into BGRPG loses access to the internet. Not sure why this is happening.
I've never heard of this problem before, from anyone. Could it have been something like a modem-reset? I would need more details about your setup to help diagnose the problem.
No, I've never seen it before until using BG, and it only happens to the PC's logged onto BG. I'm using a cable modem (form cable company) that runs into a Lynksys router supporting G. I am using MAC filtering and WEP encryption.
Shayd3000 wrote:When I load a new encounter it says "Blackout Mode Enabled" on everyone's PC - but they can still see everything.
This might be a bug. Was Fog of War disabled when this occurred?
For one map yes, for another map no. When I brought up FOW and clicked blackout mode, it worked opposite, and turned it off even though in FOW the button showed it as being toggled on. After several clicks it got straightened out.
Shayd3000 wrote:Media Bundles are still not loading automatically. Could this be because when I created the bundle, the encounter was saved in a subdirectory? The bundle works fine when you manually import. I am placing the media bundles in the media bundle folder.
Did you save the Encounter after exporting the media bundle? Doing so would cause the link between the Encounter and the media bundle to break. Exporting the bundle again after such a save should re-establish the link. It is also possible to edit an Encounter file using a word processor in order to re-establish the link by hand, if you don't feel like re-exporting the media bundle. Let me know if you need instructions for doing so.

This may be it. I wont save anymore after I export. I do my encounter building work on my desktop, but export the media (and encounter file) to my laptop to run the game. Could the fact that I copied the encounter save from one computer to another have anything to do with it?
Shayd3000 wrote:Map file of 5 meg would not transfer completely through the LAN. Ultimatly I had to purge everyones media, and manually reload the media bundles.
Were there black horizontal stripes across the map, on the player clients? Selecting the "Resend Missing Map Pieces" command can help. On occasion, you need to do this more than once.
Did that. Helped a little, but was never able to get it all the way. It would probably help if I keep maps under 2M also. I'll work on that ;)
Shayd3000 wrote:I accidently changed the map color and could not figure out how to get it back - since I didn't have a recent save and didn't want to lose positions (I save auto every 5 mins). It was an outdoor encounter, so it wasn't a biggie, but might be nice to know for interiors etc. In fact, an undo command would be really handy in a lot of situations.
Did the existing Undo command not work to change the map color back? Loading a different map will also clear the map color, but of course you'd probably have to do this a second time to get back to the original map you wanted to use.
I didn't see an undo. :(

Shayd3000
Captain

Post by Shayd3000 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:52 pm

heruca wrote:
Shayd3000 wrote:*I started to set up a dungeon, and have noticed that as I set up the manual fog of war, it was "off" by half a grid. This has me very concerned, since part of getting BG was to mask a dungeon then reveal it as it was explored - a MUCH faster process then drawing it as they go - and cooler with the dynamic FOW tuned on also. However, with some of the rooms and stuff being fairly close, could cause some issues if the reveal is out of sink with the grid. (so is the conceal by the way).
That is odd. For the occasional fluke render, sometimes it helps to either click on the map or to zoom in or out a bit, which will ensure that the Fog of War overlays are redrawn at the exact same size as the map. By any chance, were you using the Map Offset feature? Or the Fog of War Overlay feature?
I was no tusing the gof of war overlay. I'm not sure what map offset is. If you mean that I "shifted" teh map over when aligning the grids, then yes, this map had some partial squares.

I had the same problem in the previous version of BG, but it was way way worse, like 3 or 4 grids off.

It did seem to refresh whenever I selected "player view" then turned it off. It is annoying when trying to draw on the map though, not sure if I'm right or not, and I don't want to accidentally reveal anything. I'll try how it works in play next game.

George

Shayd3000
Captain

Post by Shayd3000 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:00 pm

heruca wrote:
Shayd3000 wrote:*AOE templates. <SNIP> it would be nice to see d20 AOE templates provided that correspond to the "official" AOE. We had some other minor issues with AOE's, but I don't recall that any were that serious and we managed to get through it (some were probably just learning curve stuff). Oh, it would be nice of the AOE were not just "dark" and "light" - we're worried it can cause confusion between is it light or darkness (plus, does it actually reveal anything? I didn't check - if so, that is a problem). Some AOE with color choices would be really good, sicnce some AOE's set by players need to stay in place.
I believe the AoE templates provided with BRPG are accurate for 3rd edition D&D. For 4E D&D, I added the Blast, Burst, and Wall shapes. Have you tried those yet?

AoEs do not reveal anything; they merely visually mark grid cells that might be affected by something, like a spell effect. I provide light and dark variants because light AoEs don't show up well on a very light map, and dark AoEs don't show up well on a very dark map.
Shayd3000 wrote:it would sure be nice to see Bullseye lanterns, and the ability of the player to change their light source (and not their vision type) make it in. Next game isn't for a few weeks do to some personal life issues in the group.
I hope to have the next release out in a week or two. It will support cone-shaped light sources like the bullseye lantern.
Give us a chance to play more with it, it may just be inexperience. I'll keep you posted. We do not recall seeing a "gridded cone" AOE, but then again, we are still figuring some things out.

Good to hear on the light and dark AOE. I have one or 2 players that could potentially seek an advantage that way.

I look forward to the bullseye lanterns! I have a feeling after seeing what it REALLY looks like in a dungeon, they'll go back to regular ones!

George

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:52 pm

Shayd3000 wrote:Could the fact that I copied the encounter save from one computer to another have anything to do with it?
No, that wouldn't affect anything.
Shayd3000 wrote:I didn't see an undo.
On Windows, press Control-Z to Undo. On a Mac, Command-Z. I think just pressing [Z] will also work, on both platforms, as long as the map window is the active window.