BRPG v1.6L beta released

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements

BRPG v1.6L beta released

Postby heruca » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:00 pm

BRPG v1.6L is now available for download. It is to be considered in beta status for the time being.

The main features of this update are:
¢ You can now quickly and easily create multi-token units, using an entire folder (or artpack category) as a source of tokens
¢ Bug fixes

The format for Encounters and Deployments has not changed since v1.6g.

The "User Cast.cxt" file has not changed since v1.6f, so copying over the "User Cast.cxt" file from BRPG v1.6f, v1.6g, v1.6h, v1.6i, v1.6j, or v1.6k may be a fast and efficient way to preserve your media if you are updating from one of those versions of BRPG.

This is a full install. A patch version is available below.

Download BRPG v1.6L here:
Windows version (128.7 MB)
Mac version (133.6 MB)

For convenience, v1.6L is also available as a patch. You must already have v1.6k installed in order to use this patch.

Download:
BRPG v1.6L Patch for Mac & Windows (5.9 MB)

How to "install" this patch: Unzip the downloaded file, then simply move the included files into the corresponding BRPG v1.6k folders, overwriting the existing files when prompted.

Although a ReadMe file with the information below is contained in the v1.6L download, some people might find it useful to see the changes prior to downloading the zip file.

Version History:
v1.6L

¢ Added a hotkey ([Shift + T]) to activate the Tile command. It works with both single-unit and multiple-unit selections.
¢ GMs can now resize all the tokens at once on a selected unit or units by issuing a command in the Chat window. For example, typing "resizeall=35" (sans quotes) in the Chat window and then hitting RETURN will edit all of the tokens on all of the selected units so that they are scaled to 35%.
¢ Added a "Create Multi-Token Object" command to the popup menu that appears when you double-click on the map. Selecting this command will bring up a media-browsing panel prompting you to select a Category (either from a local folder or from an artpack). The "Create" button at the bottom of the media-browsing panel will be dimmed until a Category with more than one token is selected. Clicking on the "Create" button when it is enabled will create an object on the map and assign it every token in the selected Category, at a default scale of 50%. Any media assets needed will be automatically imported. The "Create Multi-Token Object" command is only available to the GM, and only when a game session is not currently being hosted.
¢ Change: The View palette no longer appears if the map window has been resized so as to be too narrow to display the entire palette, so as to avoid cropping the View palette.
¢ Change: The hotkey for changing the Stagger offset for stacks of units has been changed to the CAPS LOCK key. So [CAPS LOCK + Arrow Key] will change the stagger offset by 1 pixel, and [CAPS LOCK + Shift + Arrow Key] will change the stagger offset by 10 pixels.
¢ Change: Selecting the "Keep Only Current Token" command for an Object now causes the unit to be renamed according to the name of the remaining token.
¢ Change: Setting a multi-token unit/s to be a Tile will now also invoke the "Keep Only Current Token" command.
¢ Bug fix: Simultaneous swapping of a unit's current token and current portrait now works properly on Windows OS. Note, however, that this hotkey only works if a single unit is selected, and only if the number of Tokens attached to the unit is equal to the number of Portraits attached to the unit.
¢ Bug fix: Rotating a unit with the mouse wheel would sometimes crash BRPG on Windows OS.
¢ Bug fix: The Dynamic Fog of War was rendering out-of-scale vertically if a hex grid was being used. This bug was accidentally introduced in v1.6j, when the maximum vertical map size was increased to 46 hexes (up from 40).
Last edited by heruca on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:01 am

BRPG v1.6L is now also available as a Full Install. I've edited the OP to reflect this.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby david.steele » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:19 am

So... being a new Battlegrounds user, I currently have version v1.4i. What do I need to do to go to this version? I assume a full install, but would that mean I would have to redownload art packs, etc. Also, would that mean that I would have to register everything again?
david.steele
Sergeant

Postby heruca » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:29 am

Just get the Full Install of v1.6L. You can have various versions of BRPG installed at the same time, just don't run them simultaneously.

Your licence codes and artpack registration codes will continue to work and you won't even have to input them again.

You don't have to re-download the artpacks; just copy them over from your old installation to your new installation. If you had added any content to the older version of BRPG (such as custom Dice Macros, Text Macros, or Turn Sequencer settings), be sure to copy those assets to the appropriate v1.6L folders. See pg. 128 of the updated User Manual (the section called "Updating from an Older Version of BRPG".

If you were a long-time user, I would also direct you to this forum thread, but I doubt you'll need to worry about retaining imported media from your v1.4i installation.
Last edited by heruca on Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
heruca
Developer

Postby rrvistas » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:31 am

david.steele wrote:So... being a new Battlegrounds user, I currently have version v1.4i. What do I need to do to go to this version? I assume a full install, but would that mean I would have to redownload art packs, etc. Also, would that mean that I would have to register everything again?

There have been a lot of additions to BG since 1.4i, allowing you to play the cool games heruca created.

Simply download the full install and extract it in a different directory on the same drive like your current installation and give it a try. If I understood correctly, you don't have to re-register as long as everything is on the same harddrive. Simply copy the artpacks and encounters from one 1.4i directories to the corresponding directories of the 1.6L installation.

Most of us have multiple copies of the BG directory. To try out new versions, as backups or for different games.

It's absolutely safe to have multiple versions of BG.
rrvistas
General

Postby david.steele » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:00 pm

Can I delete the old directory that contains the older version of Battlegrounds? Reading between the lines, it sounds like the registration information is not in that directory - like it is in the registry or somewhere...
david.steele
Sergeant

Postby rrvistas » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:10 pm

david.steele wrote:Can I delete the old directory that contains the older version of Battlegrounds? Reading between the lines, it sounds like the registration information is not in that directory - like it is in the registry or somewhere...

yea, you can delete it.
rrvistas
General

Postby heruca » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:58 pm

david.steele wrote:Can I delete the old directory that contains the older version of Battlegrounds?

Sure, once you've determined that you no longer need it, you can delete it.
It's generally best to give a new version a good workout to make sure you won't want to revert to the old version (due to some newly-discovered bug, for example).

david.steele wrote:Reading between the lines, it sounds like the registration information is not in that directory - like it is in the registry or somewhere...

Battlegrounds never touches the Windows registry.

Look here to see where BRPG stores its preferences files (such as license info).
heruca
Developer

Return to Product Releases