BRPG v1.6i beta released

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements

BRPG v1.6i beta released

Postby heruca » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:26 pm

BRPG v1.6i is now available for download. It is to be considered in beta status for the time being.

The main features of this update are:
¢ Various performance optimizations
¢ Better support for cards in the map window
¢ Faster and more efficient zooming
¢ Further refinement of the Views feature
¢ Bug fixes

The format for Encounters and Deployments has not changed since v1.6g. The "User Cast.cxt" file has not changed since v1.6f, so copying over the "User Cast.cxt" file from BRPG v1.6f, v1.6g, or v1.6h may be a fast and efficient way to preserve your media if you are updating from one of those versions of BRPG.

This is a full install. A patch version is available below.

Download BRPG v1.6i here:
Windows version (127.5 MB)
Mac version (132.4 MB)

For convenience, v1.6i is also available as a patch. You must already have v1.6h installed in order to use this patch.

Download:
BRPG v1.6i Patch for Mac & Windows (6.2 MB)

How to "install" this patch: Unzip the downloaded file, then simply move the included files into the corresponding BRPG v1.6h folders, overwriting the existing files when prompted.

Although a ReadMe file with the information below is contained in the v1.6i download, some people might find it useful to see the changes prior to downloading the zip file.

Version History:
v1.6i

¢ Optimization: Scrolling the map was slow if too many units had antialiasing enabled, so antialiasing is now disabled during map panning to increase performance, and is automatically re-enabled when map panning is complete.
¢ Optimization: Deleting a unit or units is now significantly faster, particularly when deleting large numbers of units, and Undo-ing a multi-unit deletion now works as you would expect (by restoring all the units deleted, not just the very last one).
¢ Optimization: The Undo and Redo features are now significantly faster, particularly when there are a large number of units on the map.
¢ Added a "Toggle Anti-alias" command to the contextual popup menu for multi-unit selections. This command is available only for the GM. Selecting this command will toggle the setting for antialiasing on any selected objects. The command has no effect on any figures that happen to also be selected.
¢ Added a "Draw Card" command to the contextual popup menu of any object on the map that might be a Card. Selecting this command will play a card-flipping sound effect (remote clients will also hear the sound effect), then shift the Card one cell to the right, set the Owner of the card to the current user's login name (or to "GM"), the current token to the first token, and will enable the "Secret Token" state for the unit. The end result is that the card's new owner sees the front of the card while others continue to see the back of the card. This new functionality should prove very useful for any game that requires using cards in the map window rather than in the Card Table window. A Card is defined by BRPG as any object (except a tile or a free-floating object) containing exactly two tokens whose current token is set to the second token (the card back) and whose Portrait is set to "Use Current Token". Cards set to be owned by "Everyone" will not have the "Token" submenu show up when the contextual popup menu is accessed, as this would allow anyone to cheat by seeing what a card was without flipping it over.
¢ Added a "Discard Card" command to the contextual popup menu of any object on the map that might be a Card held by the user. Selecting this command will play a card-flipping sound effect (remote clients will also hear the sound effect), then set the Owner of the card to "Everyone", and will disable the "Secret Token" state for the unit. The end result is that everyone can see the card side that is actually showing. By default, the current token will be set to the first token (i.e., the discard is face-up), but if the Shift key is held down while this command is selected, the discard will be face-down (the current token will be set to the second token). This new functionality should prove very useful for any game that requires using cards in the map window rather than in the Card Table window.
¢ A card-shuffling sound effect is now played when you use the "Stack & Shuffle" command.
¢ Added code to prevent a manually-edited Encounter file from producing errors when the Encounter is loaded if the Encounter now contains too many units.
¢ Change: An Encounter can now hold up to 600 objects (up from 340) if there are less than 20 figures present. This change was made primarily for digital versions of boardgames and wargames that require a lot of components (tokens, cards, etc.) but do not make much use of minis (figures).
¢ Change: The up arrow key and down arrow key are now used to control zooming if the Shift key is held down (not the Control key, as in prior releases).
¢ Change: The zoom feature has been re-designed to make zooming to a particular level faster, by allowing you to select the desired zoom level and fine-tune it before the zoomed map re-renders. It's now possible to go from 20% zoom to 200% zoom, or vice-versa, significantly faster than ever before. Hold down the Control key to zoom in 50% increments. Hold down the Control key and the Alt key (Option key, on a Mac) to zoom in 1% increments.
¢ Updated all the Encounters that come with BRPG to fix the pre-defined Views in them.
¢ The View Manager panel can now be accessed via a hotkey ([Shift-V]).
¢ Holding down the Shift key while setting a View with the Views palette will now automatically open the View Manager panel after recording the View location, to enable you to immediately name the View or assign it a custom zoom level.
¢ Change: When using a hotkey (Control and a number key) to set a View, if the Shift key is also held down, the View Manager will automatically open after setting the View, to enable you to immediately name the View or assign it a custom zoom level.
¢ Change: To scroll one screen's worth at a time, you must now hold down the Control key when pressing a cursor/arrow key (not the Shift key, as in prior releases).
¢ Bug fix: The Undo and Redo features were broken since v1.6d.
¢ Bug fix: Swapping tokens on a unit no longer produces an error on connected clients if they do not already have the necessary media on their end.
¢ Bug fix: When players saved or attached dice macros to units they owned, the change was not being broadcast to other connected clients.
¢ Bug fix: Units with large portrait art were updating very slowly while being dragged if Snap-to-Grid was enabled.
¢ Bug fix: On Windows OS, the frame around the Views palette is now white instead of black, since newer versions of Windows render the buttons semi-transparent, making them very hard to read against a black background.
¢ Bug fix: Fixed a graphical glitch that manifested the first time the Views palette appeared in a given session, if BRPG was running on a Mac.
¢ Bug fix: Canceling looping audio should now cancel the looping audio on remote clients, as well.
¢ Bug fix: The algorithm for setting Views and navigating to Views was incorrect. It is now fixed, but unfortunately any Views defined in a version of BRPG prior to v1.6i are not compatible, and will need to be re-defined.
¢ Bug fix: The re-designed zoom feature should (hopefully) not cause crashes, or draw the Fog of War masks at the wrong size, when using the mousewheel to zoom in or out very quickly.
¢ Bug fix: On Windows, the GM Client was assigning the wrong text chat color when the GM used the "Chat As..." menu in the Chat window to speak as a GM-owned figure or chat alias.
¢ Bug fix: In a figure's contextual popup menu, the "Chat Color" submenu was not always correctly showing a checkmark beside the currently-selected chat color. The figure's Status color was sometimes being mistakenly used to determine which color names should have a checkmark beside them.
¢ Bug fix: In a multi-player game session, an error would sometimes occur on other connected clients if "Animate Dice Rolls" was enabled in Preferences and someone sent a dice roll containing percentile (d100) dice.
Last edited by heruca on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:36 pm

BRPG v1.6i is now also available as a Full Install. I've edited the OP to reflect this.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby fb66 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:04 am

Downloaded and installed now looking to do some testing. Will contact some of my regulars for that.
I quickly checked the chat colours all seems to be working which is great :)
fb66
General

Return to Product Releases