BRPG v1.6g beta released

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements

BRPG v1.6g beta released

Postby heruca » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:19 pm

BRPG v1.6g is now available for download. It is to be considered in beta status for the time being.

The main features of this update are:
¢ Added GM-defined "Views" (think "Bookmarks") to Encounters, for easily navigating from one area to another in the map window.
¢ Added a "Duplicate & Select" feature.
¢ Added the ability to "nudge" units on the map one pixel at a time, for precision alignment.
¢ Improvements to the Text label feature (i.e., text labels created with the "Text" Draw Tool).
¢ Bug fixes

The format for Encounters and Deployments has changed since v1.6f. Encounters and Deployment files created in older versions of BRPG will be automatically updated to the new format when loaded. The "User Cast.cxt" file has not changed since v1.6f, so copying over the "User Cast.cxt" file from that BRPG version may be a fast and efficient way to preserve your media if you are updating from that version of BRPG.

Download BRPG v1.6g here:
Windows version (125.3 MB)
Mac version (130.2 MB)

For convenience, v1.6g is also available as a patch. You must already have v1.6f installed in order to use this patch.

Download:
BRPG v1.6g Patch for Mac & Windows (2.6 MB)

How to "install" this patch: Unzip the downloaded file, then simply move the included files into the corresponding BRPG v1.6f folders, overwriting the existing files when prompted.

Although a ReadMe file with the information below is contained in the v1.6e download, some people might find it useful to see the changes prior to downloading the zip file.

Version History:
v1.6g

¢ Added GM-defined "Views" to Encounters. A View is like a bookmark to a particular spot on the map window, and it can (optionally) have a pre-defined zoom level that it will be viewed at. The primary purpose of Views is to let you quickly and easily jump around in the map window to points of interest that the GM has defined (e.g. Character dossiers or vehicle record sheets located "off-map"). Select a View by clicking on a View button in the View palette that appears when your mouse cursor is in the lower portion of the map window. Alternatively, you can select a View by pressing a number key while holding down the Control key. Define a View by holding down the Alt key (the Option key, on Mac OS X) and clicking on a View button in the View palette. Alternatively, you can define a view by pressing a number key while holding down the Control and Shift keys. A maximum of 10 Views can be defined for each Encounter. When an Encounter is loaded, it will automatically show View 0. Using the new "View Manager" panel (available from the BG button's popup menu), you can give custom names (e.g., "Game Board", "Player 1 Display", "Player 2 Display", etc.) and custom zoom levels to each View . When an Encounter is saved, it will store the Views settings that have been defined by the GM. While the View palette is the primary way of switching from one View to another, you may find that using hotkeys to switch Views is significantly faster. Lastly, you can switch Views by double-clicking on the map window to bring up a popup menu and selecting a View from the "View..." submenu.
¢ Added a "View Manager" panel, accessible only to the GM, which allows the GM to assign a custom name and zoom level to each view.
¢ Added the ability to "nudge" units on the map one pixel at a time (primarily useful when laying out units that require precise alignment with each other, such as elements on a form or record sheet). Select one or more units, hold down the spacebar, then press any arrow (aka cursor) key.
¢ Added a "Duplicate & Select" command to the contextual popup menus. This command duplicates the currently-selected unit/s and then selects them so that they can be easily moved elsewhere on the map without affecting the originally-selected unit/s. Although this command is somewhat similar to the copy & paste functionality that was already present in prior releases, there will be times when you wish to preserve the relative positions of the duplicated units. The [Control-D] hotkey (on Windows) or the [Command-D] hotkey (on Mac OS X) can also be used to invoke this command.
¢ Text labels created with the "Text" Draw Tool now store their settings (color, font, font size, etc.) when an Encounter or Deployment is saved, and the settings are now transmitted to connected clients during multiplayer games so that the text appears identically on all clients.
¢ Text labels created with the "Text" Draw Tool can now use a font size up to 128 (up from 96 in previous releases).
¢ Added a new font for creating dynamic text labels. The new font is called "Apple Casual", and is designed to look like handwriting (print style).
¢ If you specify a flat color to use in lieu of an actual map graphic, the color is now saved in the Encounter file.
¢ Updated the file format for Encounters.
¢ Updated the file format for Deployments.
¢ Updated all the Encounter and Deployment files that are included with BRPG to the new format.
¢ Change: The [Control key + <number>] hotkeys are no longer used to set the cursor mode for the GM (cursor mode hotkeys were for selecting the various Fog of War tools and Draw Tools, but I suspect no one really used those hotkey commands).
¢ Change: Text labels created with the "Text" Draw Tool are now antialiased by default.
¢ Change: Encounters can now be saved after exporting a media asset bundle without losing the reference to the media bundle.
¢ Change: Removed the "Center Map on Screen" command from the map's popup menu. It has been rendered obsolete by the new Views functionality.
¢ Optimization: Many game-state updates (e.g., stepping the turn sequence) no longer cause the Fog of War to re-render unnecessarily.
¢ Bug fix: If the artwork is missing for a text label that was created with the "Text" Draw Tool, it will be recreated when the label text is edited.
¢ Bug fix: Prevented an error that could occur after certain actions if the Draw Tool palette had not yet been opened in the current BRPG session.
¢ Bug fix: You can now use the color chips in the Draw Tool palette to change the text color or border color of a text label that you are editing.
¢ Bug fix: Re-implemented about a dozen bug fixes that had been lost after accidentally overwriting the "Browser.dxr" file. See this forum thread for details.
Last edited by heruca on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
heruca
Developer

Postby rrvistas » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:40 pm

It seems that the "View Manager" is only visible in the BG Button popupmenue when you have hidden the commands panel.
rrvistas
General

Postby heruca » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:44 pm

Correct. I have not yet added a View Manager button to the Command panel. Will do so in v1.7.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:47 pm

BRPG v1.6g is now also available as a Full Install. I've edited the OP to reflect this.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:52 am

Known Issue:
There is a minor (and purely cosmetic) glitch with the "Views" palette when running BRPG v1.6g on Mac OS X. The very first time the Views palette appears in a given BRPG session, it is drawn with the buttons enlarged/distorted. Just move the mouse up until the palette auto-hides, and it will look fine from then on.
heruca
Developer

Postby cyderak » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:44 am

Is there any way to turn the "Views" Palette off?
cyderak
Captain

Postby heruca » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:25 am

Not yet. There will be a Preference setting for that soon. In the meantime, you can keep it hidden by not having the mouse near the bottom edge of the map window.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:08 am

Due to a bug with Encounter saving in this release, I recommend anyone using v1.6g update to v1.6h.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:24 pm

heruca wrote:Known Issue:
There is a minor (and purely cosmetic) glitch with the "Views" palette when running BRPG v1.6g on Mac OS X. The very first time the Views palette appears in a given BRPG session, it is drawn with the buttons enlarged/distorted.

This is fixed in v1.6i.
heruca
Developer

Return to Product Releases