Director Player Error

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
ThinIzzy
Soldier

Director Player Error

Post by ThinIzzy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:04 pm

Tried running 1.6f on Windows Vista Premium. Once the client comes up, I get a Director Player Error window with the message "Script Error. Continue?". Continuing results in a window saying "A serious error has occurred" and I am instructed to reload the client (which only results in the same error window popping up).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:06 pm

Are you by any chance clicking or otherwise trying to interact with the program before it finishes launching?

Have you run BRPG before on that computer?

Did you install v1.6 f from a patch, or from a Full Install?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ThinIzzy
Soldier

Post by ThinIzzy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:06 pm

heruca wrote:Are you by any chance clicking or otherwise trying to interact with the program before it finishes launching?
Not that I recall, no; I can attempt to reproduce it if I get a spare moment to try it.
heruca wrote:Have you run BRPG before on that computer?
Used to have a 1.3e demo version, but had already removed the files some time ago. Backed down to the current 1.4i version after trying 1.6f (and encountering the aforementioned problem).
heruca wrote:Did you install v1.6 f from a patch, or from a Full Install?
I used the full install (and double-checked after the problems started up to be sure I did in fact have the full install).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:27 pm

What are you using to unzip the BRPG download? Try using the unzipping utility built into Windows, if you've been using something else. I've heard on numerous occasions from a number of users that some third-party unzipping tools can cause problems.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:31 pm

By the way, is the error still occurring for you using v1.4i?

ThinIzzy
Soldier

Post by ThinIzzy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:50 pm

heruca wrote:What are you using to unzip the BRPG download? Try using the unzipping utility built into Windows, if you've been using something else. I've heard on numerous occasions from a number of users that some third-party unzipping tools can cause problems.
I simply clicked on the file and extracted directly via Windows, so that shouldn't be an issue there.

ThinIzzy
Soldier

Post by ThinIzzy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:52 pm

heruca wrote:By the way, is the error still occurring for you using v1.4i?
This error doesn't occur for me in 1.4i, no. Also: this error occurs for me in 1.6g as well as 1.6f, for what that's worth. Same thing as before: the error message window comes up with no intervention on my part (beyond double-clicking on a desktop shortcut to run the program).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:38 pm

Does the error occur if you don't use a desktop shortcut to launch BRPG?

What about if you rename the BRPG executable prior to launch? (this will confirm whether or not it's an issue with your preferences files)

Do you have a fair amount of free RAM on your system?

ThinIzzy
Soldier

Post by ThinIzzy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:20 pm

heruca wrote:Does the error occur if you don't use a desktop shortcut to launch BRPG?
The error occurs irregardless of whether it's run directly or via shortcut.
heruca wrote:What about if you rename the BRPG executable prior to launch? (this will confirm whether or not it's an issue with your preferences files)
Tried renaming the executable and running that; the error still occurs. Have since re-renamed it back to its original name.
heruca wrote:Do you have a fair amount of free RAM on your system?
This PC has 4 GB of RAM so I wouldn't think that would be the issue.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks for the responses. Lack of RAM definitely isn't the issue. :)

It may feel like you're getting nowhere, but we're actually ruling things out one by one.

The next test I would like you to run is, if you have any files saved in "<BRPG>\Preferences\Turn Sequencer Settings\", I want you to move them into the "Disabled Turn Sequencer Settings" folder. Then launch BRPG and see if the error is gone.

Also let me know if you have edited any of the other files in the Preferences folder, such as the light sources or vision types.

This doesn't seem to be a widespread issue with BRPG in general, so I think it's worth isolating the troubleshooting process to things that might be on your computer that aren't in other people's BRPG installations.

ThinIzzy
Soldier

Post by ThinIzzy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:09 am

heruca wrote:Thanks for the responses. Lack of RAM definitely isn't the issue. :)

It may feel like you're getting nowhere, but we're actually ruling things out one by one.

The next test I would like you to run is, if you have any files saved in "<BRPG>\Preferences\Turn Sequencer Settings", I want you to move them into the "Disabled Turn Sequencer Settings" folder. Then launch BRPG and see if the error is gone.
When installed both the Turn Sequencer Settings and Disabled Turn Sequencer Settings folders are empty by default; I therefore have nothing to send. The program is in essense running in a "default" state just as it comes out of the zip file.
heruca wrote:Also let me know if you have edited any of the other files in the Preferences folder, such as the light sources or vision types.
I have not made any changes to these. Again, this error with version 1.6f/g is occurring "straight out of the box", so to speak, based on the state the game is in after being unzipped and run without modifications, additions, or subtractions (apart from creating the shortcut on the desktop, which as we found out doesn't seem to make a difference).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:04 am

Can you make sure that you have Read/Write permission for everything in the BRPG folder?

Are you running from an admin account? If not, can you try to, and see if that makes any difference?

Do you have another computer in the house that you could install BRPG on, to see if it runs fine elsewhere?

I'm starting to run out of ideas. Does anyone else reading this have any suggestions?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:31 pm

It is odd that you could run older releases without this problem. What is the highest numbered release you have successfully used? v1.4i? Let me know and I will scan the list of changes for any possible culprits.

Also, do you have any security software installed and running that might be interfering with BRPG? My app looks for certain preference files during launch, and creates new ones if it doesn't find any. Perhaps this is when the error is occurring?

In Windows, the preference files are stored in an invisible folder located here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Macromedia\Director MX 2004\Battlegrounds RPG Edition\Prefs\

(Replace "Administrator" with your windows account name. That's a hidden folder so you may have to adjust your folder viewing options).

Do files exist for you at that location? If so, do you have Read/Write permission for all of them?

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:27 am

heruca wrote: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Macromedia\Director MX 2004\Battlegrounds RPG Edition\Prefs\
The op said he was running VISTA which uses a very different file structure. The above will be of no use to a vista user. I will have a poke around on my machine to find an equivilent
vista version
C:\users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\macromedia\Director mx 2004\battlegrounds rpg edition\prefs

replace <yourname> with your account name and the AppData folder is hidden so you may need to go to the command panel and show hidden folders.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks, fb66. I wasn't aware that Vista had changed the file structure. Do you know if the same holds true for Windows 7?

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:04 am

heruca wrote:Thanks, fb66. I wasn't aware that Vista had changed the file structure. Do you know if the same holds true for Windows 7?
i dont have windows 7 but i am told it is close to vista in many ways.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:52 am

heruca wrote:Do you know if the same holds true for Windows 7?
Windows 7 uses the same file location for BRPG preferences as Vista. I'm not 100% if the entire folder structure for the OS is the same, since I've never done a comprehensive side-by-side comparison, but it's close if it isn't identical. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same.

ThinIzzy
Soldier

Post by ThinIzzy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Okay, figured out what the problem was. I had created the directory for the game inside the Program Files directory.

In Vista/Windows 7, The Program Files directory has a write restriction; when I install it in a directory outside this, it runs without this initial error upon loading. Still getting used to these security features. :roll: Perhaps running it as administrator would have let it work also in this case.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:39 pm

Yay, it's working for you!

Thanks for the info regarding Vista & Win 7 (that was news to me, too!). I'll need to make a note of that in the Installation section of the updated User Manual.