Dice Pack

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements

Dice Pack

Postby heruca » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:00 pm

This free artpack for BRPG and BGE, which is intended for use in BRPG v1.6f or higher, contains 788 unique dice and coin graphics. These graphics are used by 128 dice of various types and colors, and the dice are organized into 16 different categories.

The primary purpose of this artpack is to allow you to place dice and coins directly in the map window, and interact with them there, instead of in the Dice Roller window. For some RPGs, boardgames, wargames, and dice games, this style of dice rolling could provide for significantly faster gameplay. Particularly in games that use simple mechanics and don't require a lot of modifiers, in which using dice macros would be overkill.

A secondary purpose of this artpack is to make certain RPGs, boardgames, wargames, and dice games playable in BRPG which were, until now, unplayable, due to the fact that prior to BRPG v1.6f, the dice have always been confined to the Dice Roller window. For example, some RPG systems require "opposed rolls", where an attacker and defender must line up their dice after rolling them, such that certain dice cancel out the opponent's dice. Another example would be games with Yahtzee-like dice rolling mechanics, where you want to keep some dice from your first roll, but re-roll the rest. This wasn't possible before, but now it is.

I decided to put together this artpack and offer it for free to the BRPG and BGE community as a way of saying "thanks for your support", and to add value to BRPG and BGE in general.

Enjoy!

Download:
Dice Pack for BRPG and BGE (7.4 MB)

(Installation and usage instructions are in the ReadMe which is included in the download.)
Last edited by heruca on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Here's a sample of just some of the 128 dice (and all 3 coins) included in this artpack.

Click on the image to see it at full size.

:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:43 am

I just thought of some other reasons that this artpack could be handy.

1) Any game which requires you to roll more than 2 die types or die colors in a single roll (since BRPG's dice macros only support two die types or die colors). For example, "Don't Rest Your Head" requires rolls with 3 colors of d6s. White for Discipline, grey for Exhaustion, and red for Madness.

2) In face-to-face games, people sometimes place a die or dice next to their miniature to indicate altitude when they are flying. The same method could also be used to track other number-based data. For example, If I cast Wall of Flame, a spell which lasts 3 turns, I would place an Area of Effect template on the map and I could put a d3 on it. Using BRPG's token-swapping feature, I would decrease the number on the d3 every turn, until the spell ends and I remove the Area of Effect template. Remember, just because these are dice doesn't mean you have to roll them.

3) Sometimes the players in an RPG need to make a roll, but they shouldn't know what result they got (e.g., search for traps or secret doors). In BRPG, the GM could use these dice in conjunction with a concealing object set to Screen, and the players could move the dice under the Screen (where the GM can see the dice but the players can't) and then make the roll.

Can you think of other uses for dice on the map window?
heruca
Developer

Postby fb66 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:03 pm

does this mean i can put a dice on the screen and roll it directly by clicking on it or something?
fb66
General

Postby heruca » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:15 pm

Yes. Just click on a die to select it (or drag a selection marquee over several dice) and press Control-R (Command-R, on a Mac) to make the roll.
heruca
Developer

Postby Kazander » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:47 pm

I think this is a nice feature.

I think it would be improved though if all dice results were reported to the Main Window, and recorded in the Dice Roll History though, instead of just some special sets. It's inevitable that there is a player who has to make a bunch of rolls in a row, and if there's some lag (as there always is at some point), those rolls will tend to come through very quickly when the lag dissipates, and you'll want to look at the History.[/i]
Kazander
General

Postby fb66 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:51 pm

heruca wrote:Yes. Just click on a die to select it (or drag a selection marquee over several dice) and press Control-R (Command-R, on a Mac) to make the roll.

sweet :)
fb66
General

Postby heruca » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:11 pm

Kazander, I will investigate the possibility of dynamically generating a dice macro when "map dice" are rolled, so that the roll is reported everywhere and stored in the Dice Roll History.
heruca
Developer

Postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:20 pm

Kazander wrote:I think this is a nice feature.

I think it would be improved though if all dice results were reported to the Main Window, and recorded in the Dice Roll History though, instead of just some special sets.[/i]

I agree. This is a great idea.

Super job on this addition, heruca! Very nice feature to have. Thank you!
Lockdown
Cannon Fodder

Postby heruca » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Welcome, Lockdown.

Glad you like this new feature.

I'm still doing a forehead slap for not having thought of it a year or two ago when I originally added multi-state tokens.
heruca
Developer

Postby Kepli » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:49 am

Awesome. Will have to check this out and see how I can use this in my games :)
Kepli
High Commander

Postby fb66 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:02 am

heruca wrote:Welcome, Lockdown.

Glad you like this new feature.

I'm still doing a forehead slap for not having thought of it a year or two ago when I originally added multi-state tokens.

lol heruca no one is perfect.
fb66
General

Postby Kepli » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:06 pm

Works like a charm Heruca :D
I will probably use them most for stuff like counting the number of rounds a spell is still active, height in feet/yard, count number of still living opponents, etc.
Kepli
High Commander

Postby TRIAD4Evr » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:04 pm

The readme doesn't say how to use them, and CTRL-R brings up the normal dice-roller tabletop for me. What am I doing wrong? I have 2 dice unhidden and set to "All" for ownership.
TRIAD4Evr
General

Postby heruca » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Did you select the die (or dice) before pressing Control-R?

Are you using BRPG v1.6f? The ReadMe for v1.6f explains how to roll dice in the map window.
heruca
Developer

Postby TRIAD4Evr » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:28 pm

Nope, was still using the "release" version of 1.4i. Must have missed the reference to it requiring a beta. Fixing now!
TRIAD4Evr
General

Postby TRIAD4Evr » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:11 pm

No, it's still not working- is this related to the issue you just posted about in regards to needing to put out a "g" build? CTRL-R still brings up the old dice table for me.
TRIAD4Evr
General

Postby heruca » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:36 pm

If you installed the patch rather than the Full Install, double-check that you installed the patch correctly. You should have been prompted to overwrite a bunch of files. Were you?
heruca
Developer

Postby TRIAD4Evr » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:09 pm

No I used the full install and then copied over figures and maps and some other stuff specific to the build I had been using. I re-installed the full version again overtop my previous installation of the full version, and it's working now. Musta inadvertently copied something inappropriate when I was moving figures and sounds and whatnot. It's working fine now...
TRIAD4Evr
General

Postby heruca » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Glad to hear it's working now.

Kepli wrote:I will probably use them most for stuff like counting the number of rounds a spell is still active, height in feet/yard, count number of still living opponents, etc.

Just wanted to point out that this sort of "non-rolling" use of the dice is possible in earlier versions of BRPG. v1.6f or later is only needed if you actually want to roll the dice.
heruca
Developer

Postby Kepli » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:44 am

I know, but you have already added all the "subtokens" for 1 - 20 under the d20 die ... I was too lazy to do that :wink: :P
Kepli
High Commander

Postby heruca » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:08 am

Too lazy to create one d20? :lol:

Imagine how much fun I had creating 128 dice, each containing between 2 and 20 tokens. Okay, I actually cheated. I made one complete color set, and the rest of the color sets I made in a text editor using "search and replace" and "Save As...". But still. :roll:
heruca
Developer

Postby Piraticus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:16 pm

You are amazing, Heruca. Thank you for putting this free art pack together and for designing the unique "free board" way that it works.
Piraticus
Sergeant

Postby Motdc » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:16 am

Loving that the HQ dice made it in there :)
Motdc
Captain

Postby Case » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:09 am

This rules heruca, I noticed that players have to have it installed after reading the directions!

Thanks!!!
Case
Case
Captain

Next

Return to Product Releases