Attention Mac users!

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements

Postby canadrian » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Elric wrote:Is there REALLY any negative points to just running Battlegrounds and BGE under Parallels? I'd really like to go to Lion and don't know that much about MACs to build a separate partition running Snow Leopard.

There's no reason you couldn't use BGE under Parallels, and it should work fine. The only negative points would be having to maintain an entire virtualized operating system, booting it up and shutting it down every time you want to use BGE, and the performance hit to your system to run two operating systems at once (you're effectively splitting your RAM and CPU power in half). To address the launch time and performance issues, you'll get faster response and better performance out or running BGE under Crossover. If you already own Parallels and Windows, however, the go for it. My recommendation if using Parallels would be to use a Windows XP virtual machine as it will have a smaller footprint than Windows 7.
canadrian
Soldier

Postby Elric » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:55 pm

I think I still have the one around that you sent me when I bought the GM Client License for the MAC side - I guess I'd just need to find it and then get codes for the Devin Night Token Pack and the Armies of the Deep packs. :)

I had to reset the MAC a couple of weeks ago and just haven't reinstalled BRPG under Windows 7. I'd need to get a new code for BGE as well too right? And the Artpacks for BGE?
Elric
MusicalQuests BBS
Come To The Darkside... We Have Cookies! :)
Elric
Soldier

Postby Elric » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:31 pm

canadrian wrote:
Elric wrote:Is there REALLY any negative points to just running Battlegrounds and BGE under Parallels? I'd really like to go to Lion and don't know that much about MACs to build a separate partition running Snow Leopard.

There's no reason you couldn't use BGE under Parallels, and it should work fine. The only negative points would be having to maintain an entire virtualized operating system, booting it up and shutting it down every time you want to use BGE, and the performance hit to your system to run two operating systems at once (you're effectively splitting your RAM and CPU power in half). To address the launch time and performance issues, you'll get faster response and better performance out or running BGE under Crossover. If you already own Parallels and Windows, however, the go for it. My recommendation if using Parallels would be to use a Windows XP virtual machine as it will have a smaller footprint than Windows 7.

I'm not worried about the footprint per se as Windows 7 runs my other stuff quite well (and I have to use Windows for some of my stuff) and that's what I have installed on the Dell. My ultimate plan is to use the MAC to build my Adventures and Digital Conversions since I can carry it around and then run the games on the Dell - which is why I purchased the 'Basic' Licenses for the MAC and the 5 Floating licenses for BRPG and 7 player license for BGE for the Dell. I already have the GURPS Character Assistant and Dundjinni installed under Parallels and since they fixed the utilization bug in Parallels the other day, I just run Windows in Coherence Mode. :)
Elric
MusicalQuests BBS
Elric
Soldier

Postby heruca » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:25 pm

Elric wrote:I had to reset the MAC a couple of weeks ago and just haven't reinstalled BRPG under Windows 7. I'd need to get a new code for BGE as well too right? And the Artpacks for BGE?

I'm pretty sure that codes issued for BGE on a Mac will also work when running a Windows OS on the same computer, so I doubt you would need new codes.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby Elric » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:07 pm

heruca wrote:I'm pretty sure that codes issued for BGE on a Mac will also work when running a Windows OS on the same computer, so I doubt you would need new codes.

Didn't - email coming. :)
Elric
MusicalQuests BBS
Elric
Soldier

Postby heruca » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:06 pm

I think I may have found a definitive fix for the Mac OS X users who are unable to run BRPG or BGE because they get a "Shockwave required" error message on launch.

1. Download the attached zip file and uncompress it.
2. Place the resulting "Macromedia" folder in the following location on your hard drive:
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Macromedia/Shockwave 10/Shockwave.bundle
(Replace "Macintosh HD" with the name of your boot drive, in case you have renamed it.)

3. Launch BRPG. You should no longer get any error messages, and the program should launch successfully.

Note: If you already had a "Macromedia" folder in "Application Support", move it to the desktop (or some other safe place) in case this fix does not work and you want to restore everything to the way you had it before.

If someone could please try this out ASAP and let me know if it works, I would appreciate it.
Attachments
Macromedia.zip
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 374 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby Omnidon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:31 pm

heruca wrote:If someone could please try this out ASAP and let me know if it works, I would appreciate it.

Yeah, definitely need to change the announcement ASAP if this is confirmed to work.
Omnidon
Site Admin

Postby severin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:50 pm

This worked for me. No error messages when I started BG RPG 1.7c.

Severin
severin
Captain

Postby heruca » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:04 pm

Does anyone else care to corroborate whether or not the above fix works? Was this an issue that affected almost no one?
heruca
Developer

Postby Nihilito » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:00 pm

My version (1.4i on mac os 10.5.8 ) works now (because of the fix)!
Nihilito
Cannon Fodder

Postby heruca » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Welcome, Nihilito.

Thanks for the additional confirmation. I suggest you update to v1.6m or v1.7c when you get a chance.
heruca
Developer

Is this a Mac only issue?

Postby 1MGSIX » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:02 pm

I have to ask this question because my brother-in-law just dled 1.7e and got this message on his windows OS. Vista I believe.
1MGSIX
Cannon Fodder

Postby heruca » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:41 pm

Yes, this is a Mac-only issue.

However, I believe a similar Shockwave-related message may appear if one tries to run the program on Windows if they don't unzip the files first. Make sure to "Extract All...", rather than just opening the zip file and launching BRPG.
heruca
Developer

Postby pansophy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:34 pm

is there any chance BG will be running native on the newer OSX versions? Currently I am using Parallels to run it, which is ok, but a native version would be nice. ;)
pansophy
Cannon Fodder

Postby heruca » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:23 am

BRPG v1.x won't, but I am hoping to be able to develop v2, which would.
heruca
Developer

Re:

Postby Paladius Darkhelm » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:53 pm

heruca wrote:BRPG v1.x won't, but I am hoping to be able to develop v2, which would.

Do you have this working with modern OS X patches yet?
Paladius Darkhelm
Cannon Fodder

Re: Attention Mac users!

Postby heruca » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:27 pm

No. But when/if I do, I will be sure to update the System Requirements page.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect anything on this front until BRPG v2.
heruca
Developer

Postby suntzu » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:13 am

well i got it working under mavericks , i bottled it

Rob
suntzu
Cannon Fodder

Postby heruca » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:00 am

Whoa! Tell me more! How did you get it to work? Are there any issues or limitations? This sounds like great news!
heruca
Developer

Postby suntzu » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:04 am

ok , i built a app which is essentially a wine wrapper for the windows version of your demo of both the game and the rpg versions , i have not used your product before so i am not sure of any issues that there may be and with only the demo to play with i would not know how this would effect the licensing of your products

i used wineskin to build the wrapper and then asked it to copy in the unpacked windows version. I had to tweak the display settings as initially there was the odd crash.

the effect of this is to create an osx app with all the files contained within the app

i have tried some of your demos an they seam to load ok but i do not know if this will all work online

wineskin link http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php

you will need to install Xquartz window system http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac

Rob
suntzu
Cannon Fodder

Postby heruca » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll try to recreate this the next time I can boot into a more-modern version of OS X, and will try to test the online functionality.

If this works, you are welcome to complimentary licenses for BRPG and BGE. And I will post the verified versions on the BG Downloads page.

Question 1: Will the final end users of the wrapped BG apps also need to install XQuartz? Or is that just for creating the runtime?

Question 2: What video tweaks did you have to make to get it to run properly?
heruca
Developer

Postby suntzu » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:17 pm

my video tweaks were to specify the resolution in wineskin say 1600 by 1200 but then i do have a 27" iMac and to use the video hardware driver rather than software for greater speed

Xquartz is the update for osx's xwindows that was originally bundled with snow leopard i think it was removed from lion's distribution

i will also try the installs via crossover but that is a paid for wine distribution

i can confirm that the windows version runs under crossover , crossover does not create an app it access the files directly as each program is installed to a bottle which is a directory within crossovers file structure , crossover required no tweaks just a copy of the battle grounds directory an a set of a pointer to the battlegrounds.exe file

the crossover link is http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

by the way crossover runs under linux as well

if you wish to contact me directly my email is suntzu777@mac.com

Rob
suntzu
Cannon Fodder

Postby heruca » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:49 am

Well, I was able to build it and run it. Unfortunately, the app hangs anytime I try to select a category in a panel (for example, to place a figure or object, or select a Visual Aid). Must have something to do with the app's folders being contained in the app itself, and not external to it.
heruca
Developer

Postby suntzu » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:22 pm

Well thats a shame , looks like you have a todo then to get that bit working

Rob
suntzu
Cannon Fodder

Postby heruca » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:21 am

Actually, upon further inspection, it turns out that wasn't it at all. The app freezes anytime you try to access a pulldown menu (combo-box?), such as the one on the License panel (which accesses no media). Not sure if there is anything I can do to address this issue.
heruca
Developer

Previous

Return to Product Releases