BG still usable for war-games?

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
DaveyJJ
Cannon Fodder

BG still usable for war-games?

Post by DaveyJJ » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:46 pm

I'd like to go ahead and buy BG for use as a VTT for my minis-based wargaming needs. I've got suitable art etc but without snap to grid turned on is there a way to measure distance moved or restrict it based on unit type? Otherwise, VTT seems like not a bad idea and BG offers use OSX users a solution.

Plus BG seems to offer a decent fog of war solution, correct?

I'm basically trying to do a game of either Troops, Weapons & Tactics type platoon level gaming in a VTT or move some great print and play rules like Valor & Victory into BG.

Thanks.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:15 am

Welcome, DaveyJJ.

There's currently no way in BRPG to limit movement range, even with snap-to-grid enabled. You could always measure out a range from a unit, mark the spot with some temporary token, and then move a unit to that spot, but there's nothing "automated" to enforce movement ranges.

BRPG currently has a decent FoW feature, but for wargamers it's about to get better (in v1.6c) with the addition of a feature that allows you to see your units while your opponent/s will see only a generic unit (for example, your opponent won't know if he's facing a squad, platoon, or company, just that "something" is there) until he gets a solid sighting of the unit.

I'm not familiar with TW&T, but I suspect a game like Valor & Victory would be perfectly playable using BRPG. I'd have to say that BRPG is currently better suited for use with hex-and-counter type games than it is for tabletop miniature type games.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

DaveyJJ
Cannon Fodder

Post by DaveyJJ » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:50 am

heruca wrote:You could always measure out a range from a unit, mark the spot with some temporary token, and then move a unit to that spot, but there's nothing "automated" to enforce movement ranges.
As long as there's some sort of "measuring" tool for me to see how far someone's moving or the distance from unit A to unit B, that'd be good enough. I can't find a ruler or measuring tape in the demo, though.
heruca wrote:BRPG currently has a decent FoW feature, but for wargamers it's about to get better (in v1.6c) with the addition of a feature that allows you to see your units while your opponent/s will see only a generic unit (for example, your opponent won't know if he's facing a squad, platoon, or company, just that "something" is there) until he gets a solid sighting of the unit.
The current demo/latest alpha build is 1.6a? That feature sounds perfect, btw. Can't wait to see the c build to get an idea of how it works. How will a "solid sighting" be determined? Simply clear line of sight?

Thanks,

David

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:12 am

DaveyJJ wrote:As long as there's some sort of "measuring" tool for me to see how far someone's moving or the distance from unit A to unit B, that'd be good enough. I can't find a ruler or measuring tape in the demo, though.
Right-click on a unit and select the "Measure Range" command.

Alternatively, you could make a Ruler object to place on the map and measure ranges.
DaveyJJ wrote:The current demo/latest alpha build is 1.6a?
The latest release is currently v1.6b. It's only available as a patch for v1.6a, at the moment.
DaveyJJ wrote:How will a "solid sighting" be determined? Simply clear line of sight?
That's up to your game's rules. In most cases, you have to make some sort of spot check or sighting roll. If successful, you would reveal the unit. In other words, the "reveal" is done manually; it is not automated.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

DaveyJJ
Cannon Fodder

Post by DaveyJJ » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Prefect, thanks. All good. Going to pull in some of my graphics to the demo and test it out. Freely rotating units on the board isn't a problem, right?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:38 pm

DaveyJJ wrote:Freely rotating units on the board isn't a problem, right?
Units rotate in pre-set increments depending on what type of grid you are using. By holding down a modifier key (Shift, I think) you can get it down to 5-degree rotation increments, for more precise control.

Units can be rotated via hotkeys, or with the mouse's scrollwheel.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:13 am

heruca wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:Freely rotating units on the board isn't a problem, right?
Units rotate in pre-set increments depending on what type of grid you are using. By holding down a modifier key (Shift, I think) you can get it down to 5-degree rotation increments, for more precise control.

Units can be rotated via hotkeys, or with the mouse's scrollwheel.
And you can get more precise rotations by right clicking on the unit and opening the "Edit Figure..." (or "Edit Object...") panel.