GURPS 4th edition OLD WEST game

fb66
General

GURPS 4th edition OLD WEST game

Post by fb66 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:22 pm

I have had some interest in running an old west game using GURPS that would be run at a time suitable for US players. So far i have one person interested and really need between 2 and 4.
The game will be run using the GURPS 4th edition rules and I aim for 2 sessions a month.

now for the awkward bit lol. My work schedule is unusual this means i can not guarantee the same days each month. My plan is to present prospective players with a list of available days and pick the two dates (hopefully) every one can attend each month.
If this is acceptable then register your interest in this thread.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:49 pm

I was going to suggest a source of Wild West tokens, but I see you already know about them. :)
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:38 am

heruca wrote:I was going to suggest a source of Wild West tokens, but I see you already know about them. :)
Now if you know anyone good at making old west maps i would be really impressed lol

you up for a guest spot on occasion heruca?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:37 am

There are a number of maps in Base Map Pack 1 that you could just sprinkle in a few cacti and rocks onto to make a decent western map.

Sure, I might be able to pop in from time to time, either to watch, or to play some NPC for a while.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Mr_H
Cannon Fodder

Re: GURPS 4th edition OLD WEST game

Post by Mr_H » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:41 pm

fb66 wrote:I have had some interest in running an old west game using GURPS that would be run at a time suitable for US players. So far i have one person interested and really need between 2 and 4.
The game will be run using the GURPS 4th edition rules and I aim for 2 sessions a month.

now for the awkward bit lol. My work schedule is unusual this means i can not guarantee the same days each month. My plan is to present prospective players with a list of available days and pick the two dates (hopefully) every one can attend each month.
If this is acceptable then register your interest in this thread.
I would be interested, obviously depending on the days and times of course.
I could probably ask around and snag another player or two...course, they tend to fall in the same time schedules as me:)

dunadin777
Soldier

Post by dunadin777 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:39 am

I'm throwing in for some interest in playing this as well. I'm always anxious to play more GURPS campaigns, and the Old West is just an under-represented genre in my opinion. My schedule is really flexible, so let me know what will work for you.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:38 am

Welcome to the Battlegrounds forums, Mr_H.

I didn't see your post, earlier. :oops:

Mr_H
Cannon Fodder

Post by Mr_H » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:58 am

I got a good roll on my stealth check.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:18 pm

ok guys :)

Hi and welcome Mr H and dunadin777

I plan on running two sessions a month on dates to be arranged each month at times suitable for US players mostly. The reason for this is because Mr H could not join my campaign aimed at European players due to time zone issues. So...
Dunadin777 what time zone/nation are you in?

My work schedule is a rolling four on four off arrangement (IE for day shifts four days off four night shifts four days off then repeat). This makes selecting the same day each week impossible. So Players will recieve an email from me with the dates I can be online at a time suitable for the usa. The players will then indicate which are good for them and reply to me. I will then endevour to select the best TWO dates each month for player availability. Is this ok?

I am planning on using 1.6a so long as no major bugs show up by then but i would sugest to all wishing to take part to install two seperate instances of BG 1.6a and 1.4I as I use 1.4I as a back up.
I have two floating liscences only.

So let me know if this is ok and we can advance to Char gen etc lol.

P.S. I plan on posting a sort of campaign log on this site to help Heruca show BG in use.

P.P.S If any of you are budding map makers please let me know as i have no talent in that area at all lol.

dunadin777
Soldier

Post by dunadin777 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:06 am

fb66 wrote: I plan on running two sessions a month on dates to be arranged each month at times suitable for US players mostly. The reason for this is because Mr H could not join my campaign aimed at European players due to time zone issues. So...
Dunadin777 what time zone/nation are you in?
I am in Central Standard Time/USA, which is GMT -5 hours. I'm available to game almost any weekday afternoon-late evening EXCEPT Mondays.
fb66 wrote: My work schedule is a rolling four on four off arrangement (IE for day shifts four days off four night shifts four days off then repeat). This makes selecting the same day each week impossible. So Players will recieve an email from me with the dates I can be online at a time suitable for the usa. The players will then indicate which are good for them and reply to me. I will then endevour to select the best TWO dates each month for player availability. Is this ok?
Sounds a'ight to me :)
fb66 wrote: I am planning on using 1.6a so long as no major bugs show up by then but i would sugest to all wishing to take part to install two seperate instances of BG 1.6a and 1.4I as I use 1.4I as a back up.
I have two floating liscences only.
I have a GM license and 5 floaters, so I'm good to go with that. Are we going to be using Voice chat? I have used Ventrilo without too much hand-holding from Heruca, but I don't have a Mac-compatible headset, so my sound quality might have the occasional train-horn in the background.

Although, I guess that could be kind of ambient sound for a Western RPG, right?
fb66 wrote: So let me know if this is ok and we can advance to Char gen etc lol.
Sounds peachy to me. I have the 4th Edition Basic books, and High Tech, which has a lot of the Western-era equipment in it. Any big Char-Gen guidelines?
fb66 wrote: P.P.S If any of you are budding map makers please let me know as i have no talent in that area at all lol.
I do have a 3D program(along with a very little skill), and I've made a few decent maps and icons with Photoshop. Here's a pic of a map I made for a Gothic Sci-Fi campaign that never took off. This pic is the map at 50%, and it shouldn't take me too long to make something comparable now that I've learned my basic methods.

Hopefully.
Attachments
Main Decks Aft2s.jpg
Map at 50% scale. Depicts the aft section of a civilian freighter's main deck and its' two crew decks.
Main Decks Aft2s.jpg (459.58 KiB) Viewed 4607 times

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:05 am

Char Gen rules

pc's are 150pts with some cinematic options allowed (basicly on a case by case basis lol). the disadvantage limit is -75 points (note that includes anything with a negative value)
TL=5
year is 1876
you are allowed any historic firearm generally available in 1876.

The game will take place in a fictional illegal town in the indian territory of the black hills in what was to become Dakota (the campaign draws very heavily on the tv series deadwood for inspiration). The local native Americans are at war with the USA at the start of the campaign.
I tone down racial issues but you must be aware there will be problems for players who chose certain ethnic backgrounds. As an example native american pc's will face serious trouble because of the war ON TOP of any other bias.
Female characters will face similar problems too.
These are represented by the various social stigmas found in the basic set.
beyond this anything with in reason will be considered.
Last edited by fb66 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:11 am

dunadin777
that map is several shades of awesome lol.
if you are interested i can provide some sketchy details of certain locations in the town which you could turn into maps. You would get full credit for them ;) and it would be very helpful lol.
I have so far drawn a blank for western maps online. I do not have any suitable software myself and zero talent lol. so the game will be enhanced by any maps you care to make.

I was planning on using text chat for the game as I too lack a suitable headset (my two year old son destroyed both of hours grrrrr). My pc has a very poor built in microphone but every one ends up sounding like mikey mouse with it. Voice chat may be added as an when i can get suitable replacement headsets and find a program that works well.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:13 am

One last point i feel might be worth making. I am british and have never been to the USA. I do wonder at my sanity for attempting to run a game set in the USA for US players having zero experience of the USA my self lol. So i appologise in advance if i present a slightly weird perception of the USA in the game.

dunadin777
Soldier

Post by dunadin777 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:31 am

fb66 wrote:dunadin777
that map is several shades of awesome lol.
No u :)
fb66 wrote: if you are interested i can provide some sketchy details of certain locations in the town which you could turn into maps. You would get full credit for them ;) and it would be very helpful lol.
I have so far drawn a blank for western maps online. I do not have any suitable software myself and zero talent lol. so the game will be enhanced by any maps you care to make.
Yeah, that'll be fine. I've done only a little searching so far, but I feel that the best bet for period stuff would be to look for US Civil War maps. Some of the forts and small towns that were the focus of the war would be similar to what you'd find on the frontier(or close enough for government work, anyway). I think I have a few old maps of Gettysburg that might serve as suitable inspiration, and I happen to live within walking distance of the Midwest Civil War Museum where my wife and I are 'friends of the museum', so... field trip!

Feel free to send me whatever you have in terms of map desires/preferences now. If the sci-fi maps were any indication, it will take me some time to assemble the textures I want/need, but once I get into the zone, I should be able to crank them out fast enough for bi-monthly games.
fb66 wrote: I was planning on using text chat for the game as I too lack a suitable headset (my two year old son destroyed both of hours grrrrr). My pc has a very poor built in microphone but every one ends up sounding like mikey mouse with it. Voice chat may be added as an when i can get suitable replacement headsets and find a program that works well.
Excellent, fewer points of failure for me, then. I'll be PMing my character concept to you within a day or so. 50 point limit for disadvantages, I assume?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:38 am

A long time ago, I put together a collection of Western-themed art and figure tokens that I pulled from the Dundjinni forums. You can download the zip file by clicking here (7.1 MB).

I hope it helps one of you in your map-making efforts.
Last edited by heruca on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

dunadin777
Soldier

Post by dunadin777 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:42 am

heruca wrote:A long time ago, I put together a collection of Western-themed art that I pulled from the Dundjinni forums. You can download the zip file by clicking here (7.1 MB).

I hope it helps one of you in your map-making efforts.
And then there was awesome. Thanks Heruca :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:57 am

Also see these DJ forum threads:

Misc Western Stuff

Western ISO Buildings (perhaps not useful for tactical combat, but great for setting the scene or using as visual aids)

Town Map (low-res, but may serve as inspiration)

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:53 pm

the disadvantage limis -75 points which includes anything with a negative value as per 4th ed raw.

one other point

for an especially exelent character concept that might need a few more points i will consider award a few more. this would normally be limited to situations that lend them selves to a player generated potential story arc and not my gun fighter needs more skill lol.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:09 pm

heruca wrote:Also see these DJ forum threads:

Misc Western Stuff

Western ISO Buildings (perhaps not useful for tactical combat, but great for setting the scene or using as visual aids)

Town Map (low-res, but may serve as inspiration)
You sir are a star :D