Sideways Hex grid

"How Do I...?"
pyroknight
Captain

Sideways Hex grid

Post by pyroknight » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:38 am

Well I was trying to use BRPG today to play the popular game Battletech, and came across a rather interesting problem.

A battletech hex is shown on the left and the BRPG hex is shown on the right:

As you can see they are 90 degrees from each other. As of right now, I don't know that BRPG has an option to rotate its hex grid.

The two options i'm playing with right now are
1. Don't use the grid. However this causes the unit's base and facing to be off, and unit facing in Battletech is rather important.
2. I rotate all my Battletech maps 90 degrees to align with the BRPG grid, however battletech hexes are label so it looks something like this:

With all the hex labels appearing sideways.

So my question is:
Is there a way to rotate the hex grid in BRPG? and if not can I request that a rotated hex grid be added?

Also, when I start the application, why does the blue logo taunt me with properly facing hexes? :cry:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:16 pm

BRPG currently does not have the ability to change the grain (orientation) on a hex grid.

I came across the same issue when I converted the game "Asteroid Zero-Four".

I "solved" it by creating a custom hexgrid and superimposing the custom grid right on my map, then hiding BRPG's hex overlay and disabling snap-to-grid in the Map Settings panel.

If you want I can probably find you a link to the hexgrid generation & labeling software I used. It's a free download, for Windows only.

I know it's not much consolation right now, but Battlegrounds v2 will definitely have an option to use either long grain or short grain hexgrids.

Oh, and sorry about taunting you with the image in the About panel. :lol: I never noticed that little discrepancy.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

pyroknight
Captain

Post by pyroknight » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:41 pm

I had the same idea as you used for Asteroid zero four, about turning off the hex grid.
The problem is that Battletech units need to face a certain hex side, and even with snap to grid off it still snaps the rotation to the invisible but incorrect grid.
Is there a way to make a unit rotate freely?

If possible I would like the link to that hex labeler, as long as it works on hexes going both ways.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:52 pm

My game uses facing, too. You just need to align the units to a valid facing initially, and thereafter they should rotate just fine. Try holding down the Shift key and/or the Control key while rotating a unit, and it should rotate in smaller increments (15 degree increments, I believe). That should let you get your units facing a proper hexside.

The program I used to draw a hex grid is called, funnily enough, DrawHexGrid. You can download the latest version from here. It even has an option for placing center dots in each hex, which is useful for determining line-of-sight in some games.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

pyroknight
Captain

Post by pyroknight » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks for the help, Heruca

markuwp
General

Re: Sideways Hex grid

Post by markuwp » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:13 pm

I'd like to put in another vote for to option to rotate the hex grid overlay by 90 degrees. My mapping program (Fractal Mapper) does the hex overlay the other way, so it makes it impossible to align hex maps with the same orientation. When I make square grid maps using the appropriate number of pixels they import into BRPG perfectly, but the hex maps are a mess. I've started making maps with a square grid, removing the grid, importing into BRPG, and then adding a hex grid. This gets the scale right, but results in doors that don't line up with a hex and strange fractions of hexes in rooms and hallways.

I hadn't thought of using another graphics program to rotate the map 90 degrees after creating it and before importing into BRPG. I suspect this will work, but it means that everything will always be sideways (text, furniture, etc.) either while playing or while initially creating the map.

Mark
pyroknight wrote:Well I was trying to use BRPG today to play the popular game Battletech, and came across a rather interesting problem.

A battletech hex is shown on the left and the BRPG hex is shown on the right:

As you can see they are 90 degrees from each other. As of right now, I don't know that BRPG has an option to rotate its hex grid.

The two options i'm playing with right now are
1. Don't use the grid. However this causes the unit's base and facing to be off, and unit facing in Battletech is rather important.
2. I rotate all my Battletech maps 90 degrees to align with the BRPG grid, however battletech hexes are label so it looks something like this:

With all the hex labels appearing sideways.

So my question is:
Is there a way to rotate the hex grid in BRPG? and if not can I request that a rotated hex grid be added?

Also, when I start the application, why does the blue logo taunt me with properly facing hexes? :cry:

rrvistas
General

Post by rrvistas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:24 pm

I second the vote for an option to rotate the grid.

Most cosim maps tend to be wider then deep (eg a stretched out rectangle) due to the original intention to be but on a table.
At the moment we have to rotate the map and there by creating a standing rectangle. So the map only uses a small portion of the available screenspace.

boshimi336
Soldier

Third!

Post by boshimi336 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:14 am

I also agree, for may tabletop sims as was mentioned above maps are made as rectangles for a table top. This functionality is pretty crucial for any large development with some war games using this program.