BRPG v1.5 beta released

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements

BRPG v1.5 beta released

Postby heruca » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:52 pm

BRPG v1.5 is now available for download. It is to be considered in beta status for the time being.

The main features of this update are:
¢ Ability to "Anchor" one or more units to another unit so that they move and rotate together
¢ Ability to "Group" two or more units together so that they move and rotate together
¢ Improvements to the Card Table, including the addition of sound effects, the ability to set a unit's initiative value with a card draw, the ability to pull a specific card out of the deck, and an option to play with an inverted card deck
¢ A unit can now have a dynamic Portrait based on the unit's current token (i.e. think: "auto-magnify on mouse-over")
¢ Support for a very large playing area when using map tiles
¢ Simulate card decks right on the map window using a new "Stack & Shuffle" command on multi-unit selections
¢ Bug fixes

The format for Encounters and Deployments has changed since v1.4L. Encounters and Deployment files created in older versions of BRPG will be automatically updated to the new format when loaded. The "User Cast.cxt" file has not changed since v1.4L, so copying over the "User Cast.cxt" file from a prior BRPG version may be a fast and efficient way to preserve your media if you are updating from that version of BRPG.

This is a full install. A patch version is available below.

Download BRPG v1.5 here:
Windows version (128.3 MB)
Mac version (129.6 MB)

For convenience, v1.5 is also available as a patch. You must already have v1.4L installed in order to use this patch.

Download:
BRPG v1.5 Patch for Mac & Windows (4.6 MB)

How to "install" this patch: Unzip the downloaded file, then simply move the included files into the corresponding BRPG v1.4L folders, overwriting the existing files when prompted.

Although a ReadMe file with the information below is contained in the v1.5 download, some people might find it useful to see the changes prior to downloading the zip file.

Version History:
v1.5

¢ Added a "Anchor" command to the contextual popup menu for multi-unit selections. Selecting this command will bind all the selected units to the selected unit that is lowest in the stacking order (for example, if you select a group of characters and the boat graphic that they are traveling in, the characters will be anchored to the boat, assuming the boat is the lowest unit selected). Moving or rotating a unit that has other units anchored to it will also move the anchored units, and keep them in the same relative positions; anchored units can still be moved or rotated independently of the anchoring unit. To break this link, right-click on the anchor unit and select the "Clear anchored units" command from the contextual popup menu.
¢ Added a "Group" command to the contextual popup menu for multi-unit selections. Selecting this command will bind all the selected units to each other. Moving or rotating any unit that has been grouped with other units will also move or rotate the other units in the group, and keep them in the same relative positions. This feature should be particularly useful when moving or pivoting formations of soldiers. To ungroup one or more units, select a grouped unit/s and choose the "Remove from Group" command from the contextual popup menu.
¢ Added various sound effects to the Card Table. You can now hear the card deck being shuffled, and cards being drawn, flipped, or played.
¢ Added a command to the Card Table to set one or more units' initiative value on the Turn Sequencer equal to the number value of the card drawn. The command will be applied to whichever unit/s is/are selected. This feature should be primarily useful for playing RPGs such as "Savage Worlds", which use card draws to determine initiative sequencing.
¢ Added an option to the Card Table to allow playing with an inverted (face-up) card deck. This option can only be set by the GM.
¢ Added a command to the Card Table that allows you to draw a specific card from the deck. Selecting this command produces a submenu listing all the cards remaining in the deck, in alphabetical order. If the deck is very large, the individual cards will instead be listed in two submenus.
¢ Added a new command to the "Portrait" submenu of a unit's contextual popup menu, called "Current Token". Select this command to have a unit's Portrait art automatically match the unit's current token. Select the command again to disable it. It may help to think of this as an "auto-magnify" feature. It can be particularly useful when the map is zoomed out and units are hard to discern.
¢ Added a "Stack & Shuffle" command to the contextual popup menu that appears for multi-unit selections. This command will co-locate and shuffle the stacking order (z-order) of a group of units. The primary purpose of this command is to allow card decks to be used in the map window. It is also useful for boardgames or wargames which use a "chit-pull" mechanic (e.g. "pull a random counter from a cup").
¢ The unit selection marquee now works properly even if the selection marquee starts or ends on the black background layer of the map window.
¢ You can now scroll the map window by right-dragging on the black background layer of the map window (previously you had to right-click on the map itself if you wanted to scroll with the mouse).
¢ The hotkeys used to change a unit's current token now also work on multi-unit selections, so you can change the token on many units at once with a single key-press.
¢ The hotkeys used to change a unit's current portrait now also work on multi-unit selections, so you can change the portrait on many units at once with a single key-press.
¢ Actions performed on multi-unit selections can now be undone with the Undo feature.
¢ Change: When someone drags a unit with the mouse, the unit's position is now updated in real time on connected clients' screens, rather than just when the unit is released.
¢ Change: Scrolling boundaries have been removed from the map window, to allow for very large playing areas when using map tiles.
¢ Change: The text macro window now opens without a fancy dissolve effect. Fast access to text macros was deemed more important than fancy eye-candy effects.
¢ Bug fix: Exporting media asset bundles on a Mac should now work properly again.
¢ Bug fix: The Dynamic Fog of War layer is now properly hidden for a player who has an Enhanced Night Vision with the Special Enhancement setting set to "2" (e.g., "Darkvision [4E]").
¢ Bug fix: Fixed a snap-to-grid bug that affected units directly above the top-most map row, and also directly to the left of the map.
¢ Bug fix: Visual feedback (in the form of altering the text on a button) is now provided if you are about to attach a global dice macro to a multi-unit selection.
Last edited by heruca on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby fb66 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:59 pm

did a bit of testing and you seem to have craked the dice roller issues heruca :)
any one up for a proper test?
fb66
General

Postby heruca » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:14 pm

Great! I didn't even work on the dice rolling issue, AFAICR. :lol:
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby fb66 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:16 pm

well something has changed lol i tried very hard to get it to error out and it never did lol

what does AFAICR. mean?
fb66
General

Postby heruca » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:48 pm

fb66 wrote:well something has changed lol i tried very hard to get it to error out and it never did lol

I have a suspicion that what fixed the error is that in prior BRPG patches I failed to include the file called "Table Support.cxt". Now that I included that file in v1.5, the error is gone.

fb66 wrote:what does AFAICR. mean?

LOL, I made it up. :lol:

AFAIK = As far as I know

AFAICR = As far as I can recall
heruca
Developer

Postby Omnidon » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:09 pm

heruca wrote:
fb66 wrote:what does AFAICR. mean?

LOL, I made it up. :lol:

Heh, I've actually seen that one used elsewhere though. ;-)
It's even on acronymfinder already.
Omnidon
Site Admin

Postby ursus » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:25 pm

When will this be available as a full install?
ursus
General

Postby heruca » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:20 am

Probably later this week, if no significant bugs are reported. It's looking good, so far.

Do you find that applying patches is too difficult or too prone to user error?
heruca
Developer

Postby ursus » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:24 pm

heruca wrote:Do you find that applying patches is too difficult or too prone to user error?

No, my problem is that I don't always have the latest version required in order to install a patch. I don't always keep up with all the beta releases. Like this time, I don't have 1.4L.
ursus
General

Postby heruca » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:48 pm

Ah. Well, even if a Full Install of v1.5 was available right now, you'd only save about 4 MB of download time compared to downloading v1.4L + the v1.5 patch. You're probably better off applying multiple small patches, rather than getting a "Full Install". But I can see how the problem is compounded when you factor in that all of your players have to do the same. I'll try to get a "Full Install" of v1.5 posted in the next couple of days.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:19 pm

I've edited the OP to reflect the fact that a Full Install is now available for download, in addition to the original patch.
heruca
Developer

Postby ravenloft » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:58 pm

I just installed v1.5 (full installation). My previous version was 1.4a.

I replaced the map, figures and encounters directories with the old ones.

But now, I am having troubles reopening old encounters that were working with 1.4a. It's telling me that it cannot find the map and the players' figures show up as question marks...

Since I changed to a new laptop, I don't have my DM licence yet (just sent the request) but this should not be a problem, right? Someone can help?
ravenloft
Soldier

Postby heruca » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:10 pm

See this forum thread for instructions on how to get your old media into your new installation.

In many cases, the above-mentioned procedure is not necessary, since you can usually just copy over your "User Cast.cxt" file from your old installation into your new installation. However, you are updating from a rather old version of BRPG, and the "User Cast.cxt" file has changed since v1.4a, so copying over the "User Cast.cxt" file from a prior BRPG version is not an option in this case.
heruca
Developer

Postby Sholari » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:19 pm

heruca,

Can this be downloaded and used for Demo versions? Or would you recomend the 1.4i non-beta version for newbees.

Thanks
Sholari
General

Postby Omnidon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Sholari wrote:Can this be downloaded and used for Demo versions? Or would you recomend the 1.4i non-beta version for newbees.

AFAIK, no major problems have been reported for v1.5
It's probably more reliable than earlier versions.
Omnidon
Site Admin

Return to Product Releases