Dice Roller Screenshot [OLD]

A holding area for obsolete posts that we don't wish to delete altogether.
Halebop

Dice Roller Screenshot [OLD]

Post by Halebop » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:52 pm

There has already been some comments on the Dundjinni forum about the application of modifiers to the dice roller. I wanted to throw in a few usability questions and thoughts based on the single screenshot...

Desired Actions: Roll Dice

What other desired actions are there?

Type of Dice:

I see this is some sort of "scrolling" selection button. I suspect this is so people (or Heruca) can customise dice and insert them into the menu? I'd like to see a line of dice or value icons that I could just click straight on to select the dice rather than scroll through and select. Would it be possible to insert another row here and display 5 or 6 small icons of "favourite" dice so they can be clicked without using the menu?

Number of Dice:

I'd do something similar here too. Still have the menu option but have a row or 5 or 6 icons with common or "favourite" dice number combos (preferably set by the user so they can have x dice readied for level modified fireballs/lightning bolts or whatnot).

Modifer to total rolled:

Based on the Dundjinni conversation this might be slightly complex. Thinking of permutations you might need from different rules systems and house rules I have played...

No Modifier
Modifier to Total
Modifier to Each Roll, minimum 0
Modifier to Each Roll, minimum 1 (or more?)

A user could even go as far as roll, but re-roll certain scores, like some Player Attribute Rolling systems that dicate 1s are rolled again on d6, thought the easiest solution to this is probably to just roll again! Perhaps though, if I rolled 3d6 and the 2nd dice came up 1, I could click the displayed 2nd dice "results" icon itself to reroll it.

Anyhoo, just some thoughts...

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:08 pm

Those are some nice ideas Hale ...

heruca
Developer

Re: Dice Roller Screenshot

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:26 pm

Halebop wrote:Desired Actions: Roll Dice

What other desired actions are there?
As mentioned in the second screenshots page, that is going to be taken out in the release version (it's a developer tool that lets me quickly switch to any of the other screens shown in those screenshots).
Type of Dice:

I see this is some sort of "scrolling" selection button. I suspect this is so people (or Heruca) can customise dice and insert them into the menu?
It's so you can select any of the predefined dice (d2, d3, d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, and d100). It is not possible in BRPG to roll a d37, for example. And it probably isn't needed.
I'd like to see a line of dice or value icons that I could just click straight on to select the dice rather than scroll through and select. Would it be possible to insert another row here and display 5 or 6 small icons of "favourite" dice so they can be clicked without using the menu?
I'll consider that as an alternative method of selecting the die type. I really wanted to keep the interface consistent between all the different screens, to make the program easier to use.

It's worth noting here that BRPG will remember the last dice roll (type and number of dice). That's useful for systems like GURPS, that always use 3d6 for everything except damage rolls.
Modifer to total rolled:

Based on the Dundjinni conversation this might be slightly complex. Thinking of permutations you might need from different rules systems and house rules I have played...

No Modifier
Modifier to Total
Modifier to Each Roll, minimum 0
Modifier to Each Roll, minimum 1 (or more?)
The important thing to remember is that the BRPG Dice Roller will let you do what you would do in a face-to-face session, and that is to roll dice. It's on the players and GM to apply modifiers as per their particular ruleset. Just like at a real game table.
A user could even go as far as roll, but re-roll certain scores, like some Player Attribute Rolling systems that dicate 1s are rolled again on d6, thought the easiest solution to this is probably to just roll again! Perhaps though, if I rolled 3d6 and the 2nd dice came up 1, I could click the displayed 2nd dice "results" icon itself to reroll it.
In a future update, I may allow a user to click and highlight as many dice as he/she wants to reroll. The button at the bottom will change to read "Reroll". The reroll won't actually happen until the button is clicked (or the RETURN/ENTER key is pressed, since that's the default button on that screen). The total will be recalculated, taking into account the remaining results from the first roll.
Anyhoo, just some thoughts...
Good stuff (as usual from you).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Halebop

Re: Dice Roller Screenshot

Post by Halebop » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:56 pm

heruca wrote:As mentioned in the second screenshots page, that is going to be taken out in the release version (it's a developer tool that lets me quickly switch to any of the other screens shown in those screenshots).
Hmmm. Note to self: Must learn to read.
heruca wrote: It's so you can select any of the predefined dice (d2, d3, d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, and d100). It is not possible in BRPG to roll a d37, for example. And it probably isn't needed.
Sounds reasonable to me. Is there a game that uses D40? I've seen a few 40 sided dice around.
heruca wrote:I'll consider that as an alternative method of selecting the die type. I really wanted to keep the interface consistent between all the different screens, to make the program easier to use.

It's worth noting here that BRPG will remember the last dice roll (type and number of dice). That's useful for systems like GURPS, that always use 3d6 for everything except damage rolls.
Cool. D20 mostly uses 20 sided (surprise, surprise!) dice but like Gurps damage roles differ, where d4, d6 and d8 are used most often. I can understand wanting to keep the interface consistent and clutter free but I think a single click is very user friendly compared to scroll and click.
heruca wrote:The important thing to remember is that the BRPG Dice Roller will let you do what you would do in a face-to-face session, and that is to roll dice. It's on the players and GM to apply modifiers as per their particular ruleset. Just like at a real game table.
That's cool with me. I'm happier to just roll the dice. I just got the impression from the Dundjinni thread you were considering something more complex.
heruca wrote:In a future update, I may allow a user to click and highlight as many dice as he/she wants to reroll. The button at the bottom will change to read "Reroll". The reroll won't actually happen until the button is clicked (or the RETURN/ENTER key is pressed, since that's the default button on that screen). The total will be recalculated, taking into account the remaining results from the first roll.
Cool.
heruca wrote:Good stuff (as usual from you).
:oops: