My Experiences Thus Far with 1.3e

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
GreenMeany
Cannon Fodder

My Experiences Thus Far with 1.3e

Post by GreenMeany » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:54 am

Heruca,

You've done a fine job with Battlegrounds RPG. I found it quite daunting at first to figure it out. Once i did its simply fantastic.

I run it for my 4e tabletop sessions and only use about half the features. I set up my DM, and spend some time building my encounters in advance of the game. I hook in with my floating license on my second machine and through reverse projection, project my maps up onto the underside of my glass table. We use real mini's from there. I use simple colored square markers to represent my characters and keep them in the turn sequencer.

I've had a few issues with FoW getting funky and not wanting to run or sync but i always get them worked out (sometimes requiring a reboot or 2).

I've got a few ideas I want to build for a new flash menu.

I'm also trying to set up a "Play by Post" to use BattlegroundsRPG but i cant seem to get them to connect to my server.
I can set the port on the DM side but as soon as i do, i cant get the floating license to connect and there doesnt seem to be a port setting when you join a game like there is when you host one.

I've had a few conversations via email with Heruca. Very helpful, and on the ball to help out his peeps.

I keep getting those damned script errors, but they are a minor annoyance.

So i still give Heruca 2 thumbs up!! Keep up the great work. and Thanks for building it.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback, GreenMeany. You're not so mean, after all. :lol:

I encourage you to try out v1.4f, since you're experiencing script errors with the official release. Don't be afraid of the "beta" label, since the v1.4 series is pretty far along now.

Any issues lining up the BRPG grid with your reverse projection system? Are you using Fullscreen Mode? Are you aware that you can set the zoom level very precisely (e.g. 127.3%)?

For getting others to connect to your game, they don't need to specify a port number. It's handled automatically. The problem is most likely that you need to set up port-forwarding on your router, or allow BRPG connections to get through on your firewall. Let me know if you need help with that.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:21 am

Hi, GreenMeany!

A request, if I may? Can you give any details of your glass table setup? I'm getting really interested in using BRPG in just this fashion and any specs, tips, issues you faced etc. would be much appreciated! Maybe a separate thread in the 'Tips and FAQ' area would be best?

Oh, on the 'net connections I concur with Heruca. Getting the router and firewalls sorted was the hard bit, but you only need to do it once (per GM machine), so not so bad.
Balesir

GreenMeany
Cannon Fodder

Post by GreenMeany » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:06 pm

Balesir,

Here is the set up. I have a 6x6 with a 4x4 glass center. I took a large piece of thin tracing paper and put it over the glass. I hook up my laptop with the demo license to my projector. My other laptop runs my gm client, which has a floating license. The projector is situated generally beneath my seat and projects under the table to a 2 foot mirror which redirects the image to the underside of the glass. This is the same procedure that alot of the older big TV's used called reverse projection.

You can zoom in the maps you are using to be the right size for your minis on the demo machine.

The tracing paper allows for you image to be seen as well as protects your glass from scratches.

I have a module that i have built and with a little preparation added all the monsters as objects in advance. All of my monsters are red squares renamed to the appropriate name. I can then take them and add them to the turn sequencer. Since my entire map is laid out with monsters I specifically determine if another encounter is drawn into the current encounter due to players actions.

I also turn on fog of war and assign a seperate object to be a lightsource. as my players have a tendency to toss a sunrod down the hall and see what comes to them... /shakes head.

I'm still working on breaking them of this habit, the funniest look on a players face is when you say "Your sunrod vanishes, the light is gone, you are in total darkness...(dramatic pause) and you can hear sickly wet slurping sounds coming toward you". /que dm's evil laugh

I havent figured out how to sort objects on the z layer yet, that would make a few things easier for me, but its fairly trivial ATM.

Also, since my last post i had a hard drive crash on my laptop and had to run a game on a battle mat again. So this is where I get to tell Heruca thanks for all his hard work on BRPG, it really does add that little extra dimension to playing the game. Now how to i play in an iso view? :-p

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:17 pm

GreenMeany wrote:I havent figured out how to sort objects on the z layer yet, that would make a few things easier for me, but its fairly trivial ATM.
Press the hotkey on the GM Client to bring up the Unit Manager. Use it to set the z-level (i.e., stacking order) for all your units. Units listed higher up on the Unit Manager will be drawn above units that are lower in the list.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:07 am

Thanks, GreenMeany!

I was thinking I'd have to get a bespoke job, but a standard dining table with glass centre with (protective) tracing paper is a very neat alternative!

Do you use any kind of fixed frame for the mirror and projector?
Balesir

GreenMeany
Cannon Fodder

Post by GreenMeany » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:32 pm

I currently use a tripod i cut the legs off of to support and angle the mirror. My players have tendency to nudge or kick it. Although they have gotten pretty good about not doing that lately.

I'm building a frame to place the mirror and projector in so its always the same every time and no setup. It will also mean that when the mirror gets nudged its not catastrophic.

severin
Captain

Post by severin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:13 pm

Do you have pictures of your set up?

GreenMeany
Cannon Fodder

Post by GreenMeany » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:28 pm

I dont, sorry. I'll get some at our next game in a week and a half

eric292
Cannon Fodder

Post by eric292 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:59 pm

Meany!

Let me second that notion. Please provide like thirty pictures of your setup (if you don't mind spreading the mental wealth). What you describe sounds awesome and I would love to invest some time into building something as clever as that!

Be vain and show off your hard work :) it'll make my day to worship it at least.

Regards,

Eric

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:11 pm

When you have the pictures, I recommend you post them in the Game Room area.

GreenMeany
Cannon Fodder

Post by GreenMeany » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:22 pm

I posted some pics of my initial reverse projection that i dug out of my iphone. you can find them in the game room per Omnidon