How to host your own Ventrilo server

"How Do I...?"
heruca
Developer

How to host your own Ventrilo server

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:13 pm

Note: The following instructions are for Mac OS X. If a Windows user would like to post equivalent instructions in this thread to cover the Windows platform, that would be great.

Ventrilo is VOIP (voice chat) software that works great with BRPG, and the free version of Ventrilo allows you to host your own server for up to 8 users. Unfortunately, hosting your own server isn't as easy as it could be, so here are step-by-step instructions that should help.

Usually, the GM will be the one hosting the Ventrilo server.

1. Download Ventrilo from here. You want to get both the Server and Client programs.

2. Install both programs, following the instructions provided here.

3. Find the file called "ventrilo_srv.ini" and open it in TextEdit. Edit the following values as follows:
  • VoiceCodec=3
    VoiceFormat=21
This ensures that your Ventrilo server will use a high-quality voice codec that is Mac-compatible (Speex).

4. Launch the "Terminal" app and select "New Shell" from the File menu.

5. Type "cd ventrilo" (sans quotes) and press Return.

6. Type "./ventrilo_srv" (sans quotes) and press Return.

The server app is now running. You should be seeing something similar to the image posted below.

7. Launch the Client, configure it the way you want, and log into your server. (I'm glossing over this part, which may warrant its own tutorial; for now, this should help).

Important:
Ventrilo uses port 3784 by default, so you may need to set up port-forwarding if you have a router or cable modem. Otherwise, users outside of your local network won't be able to log in. You can use this to run a test to make sure the port is open and Ventrilo can accept external clients.
Attachments
Using Terminal to launch Ventrilo server.jpg
Using Terminal to launch Ventrilo server.jpg (79.46 KiB) Viewed 10038 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dan_Paddock
Soldier

Post by Dan_Paddock » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:57 am

Thanks for this.

It was extremely helpful and got me through the initial hurdles of setting this up.

We will try it with two remote sites this weekend.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:09 am

I'm glad this was helpful to someone. :)

Hint: If you use the Push-to-Talk feature (which I recommend), assign the tilde key (right below the Esc key) to be the PTT key. BRPG will ignore the tilde keypress if the chat window is open, so that you don't unwittingly type "````````````" into the Chat Input field.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:49 am

heruca wrote:BRPG will ignore the tilde keypress if the chat window is open, so that you don't unwittingly type "````````````" into the Chat Input field.
Aww but what if we wanted to type "````````````"? :lol: :lol: :lol:
but yeah, I generally use Alt as my push-to-talk key. Allows me to keep my fingers on the other keys and doesn't interfere with most apps.

Beregond
Soldier

Interesting note

Post by Beregond » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:16 am

I've noticed that there is an interaction between Ventrilo 3.x and Battlegrounds when the Ventrilo server and Battlegrounds server are on the same computer. Battlegrounds will not load if the Ventrilo server has been previously loaded, so it is a good idea to start up the Battlegrounds server 1st and then start up the Ventrilo server if you ever have this interaction problem.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Interesting note

Post by Omnidon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:41 am

Beregond wrote:Battlegrounds will not load if the Ventrilo server has been previously loaded
Do you mean that the entire BG app will not load or it will merely not allow you to host?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:39 am

That's news to me. The only BRPG/Ventrilo interaction I was aware of was that if you leave the Ventrilo chat window open, BRPG will not receive incoming die rolls.

Beregond
Soldier

Re: Interesting note

Post by Beregond » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:54 am

Omnidon wrote:
Beregond wrote:Battlegrounds will not load if the Ventrilo server has been previously loaded
Do you mean that the entire BG app will not load or it will merely not allow you to host?
It reacts differently at times. The incident I was describing in my earlier post caused BG to immediately come to an abnormal end as soon as I started it up.

I've been trying to always start them in the order I indicated, but during our sessions today I ended up with BG crashing with the 'Script error-Continue Yes / No' and I just restarted BG (without shutting down the Ventrilo 3 server). BG ran for awhile, but all the Player clients started having difficulties. I shut down both Ventrilo and BG and brought BG up 1st... voila no more of that problem.

Beregond
Soldier

Ventrilo and BG

Post by Beregond » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:58 am

heruca wrote:That's news to me. The only BRPG/Ventrilo interaction I was aware of was that if you leave the Ventrilo chat window open, BRPG will not receive incoming die rolls.
Yeah, I've been reminding my newer players of that one. :lol:

I'm planning on offloading the Ventrilo to my actual server shortly. That should eliminate any interaction issues since I would only be running the Ventrilo client on the PC where I am running BG server.