BRPG v1.3e released

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements
heruca
Developer

BRPG v1.3e released

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:05 pm

BRPG v1.3e is now available for download.

v1.3e is intended to fix a number of bugs that were found in v1.3d shortly after its release. v1.3e contains only bug fixes and optimizations; no new features have been added.

The format for Encounters and Deployments has not changed since v1.3d. The "User Cast.cxt" file has changed, so using the "User Cast.cxt" file from a prior BRPG version will not work.

This is a full install, but a patch version is available below.

Download BRPG v1.3e here:
Windows version (127 MB)
Mac Zip version (129 MB)
Mac DMG version (129 MB) * Recommended for users of StuffIt Expander

Installation instructions are included in each download.

Edit: A file was mistakenly omitted from both of the Zip files listed above. Click here to download the missing file. After unzipping it, place this file in BRPG's folder.

For convenience, v1.3e is also available as a patch. You must already have v1.3d installed in order to use this patch.

Download BRPG v1.3e PATCH here:
Windows version (46.5 MB)
Mac version (46.5 MB)

How to "install" this patch: Unzip the downloaded file, then simply move the included files into your BRPG v1.3d folder, and overwrite the existing files when prompted.

Although the ReadMe file with the information below is contained in the v1.3e download, some people might find it useful to see the changes prior to downloading the zip file.

Version History:
v1.3e

¢ Did some optimization to try to cut down on BRPG's launch time.
¢ Optimized the rendering of the grid to ensure it is never re-rendered unless necessary, in order to improve update performance.
¢ Optimized update performance when the grid settings are changed on the first Preferences screen and when the map size is changed on the Map Settings panel.
¢ The players are now informed if the GM quits BRPG without first logging off (exception: there is no notification if the GM force-quits BRPG).
¢ Doubled the rate at which map chunks are sent out during peer-to-peer map transfers.
¢ Improved the code that handles fading the grid overlay in or out when the grid is toggled on or off.
¢ Change: The default map is no longer the grass map. It is now a flat color which loads far faster, greatly reducing BRPG's launch time.
¢ Change: The content of the Library window is now draggable, to allow viewing of very large media which exceeds the size of the window.
¢ Change: The Library window now has a maximum size based on the current display resolution, to ensure that the window is not larger than the display.
¢ Change: If a player logs in with a Challenge Code and Response Code that's already in use, it is now assumed that this is an attempt to reconnect by a player who had been previously disconnected from the game, and the (presumably) ghost player will be ejected.
¢ Change: If a player logs in with a username that's already in use, it is now assumed that this is an attempt to reconnect by a player who had been previously disconnected from the game, and that username will be made available by ejecting the (presumably) ghost player.
¢ Change: The names of units that are "friendly" to the PCs but are controlled by the GM are now displayed in the Turn Sequencer (rather than just listing them as NPCs) for any player that is not listed as an "Adversary" in the Chat window's Participants List.
¢ Change: The names of units that are "hostile" to the PCs but are controlled by the GM are now displayed in the Turn Sequencer (rather than just listing them as NPCs) for any player that is listed as an "Adversary" in the Chat window's Participants List.
¢ Change: No more system beeps when you reach the edge of the map while dragging a unit.
¢ Bug fix: Figures, objects, and portraits from artpacks are now properly listed in their respective panels.
¢ Bug fix: Units whose token assets are located in an artpack now load properly.
¢ Bug fix: Reference material (e.g. charts and tables) from artpacks can now be accessed using the Library panel.
¢ Bug fix: Cloned units' dice macros now show up in the unit's contextual popup menu without having to reload the Encounter.
¢ Bug fix: Cloned units' names are now based on the original unit's name, not on the name of its token.
¢ Bug fix: Units deployed or cloned onto a hex grid now appear centered in the target hex, if snap to grid is enabled.
¢ Bug fix: Tweaked code to prevent "Unable to open file UIMIAW.dxr because it is already in use" error message on Windows PCs.
¢ Bug fix: The unit name was not being shown on the Turn Sequencer on player's screens if the unit was hidden and the unit was not owned by the GM.
¢ Bug fix: Addressed a case where an Encounter would fail to load properly because of a void unit value.
¢ Bug fix: Prevented an error from occurring while rendering the grid overlay if the map could not be loaded for some reason.
¢ Bug fix: The visibility of the grid overlay is now always retained when the map is changed.
¢ Bug fix: The snap-to-grid feature has been made slightly faster in hex mode, and units now snap to the exact center of each hex even on the lower quadrants of the map (a cumulative rounding error was fixed).
¢ Bug fix: After issuing the "Clear All Units" command, the current unit selection is now cleared, and if a portrait was showing, it is automatically hidden.
Last edited by heruca on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: BRPG v1.3e beta released

Post by Omnidon » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:56 pm

heruca wrote:¢ Change: The default map is no longer the grass map. It is now a flat color which loads far faster, greatly reducing BRPG's launch time.
That's a good feature for slower systems, though it's not really necessary for a modern computer.

One concern, however, is that it makes a somewhat unimpressive first impression on new users.
It probably takes a couple minutes for most new users to get around to changing the map, and until they do they won't really appreciate the graphical capabilities and spacious feel of BRPG.

Once BRPG has support for on-map links and triggers to open encounters, the default map should include links to recent encounters and links to open new maps based on predefined (user-editable) templates (new grass map, new forest map, etc).
Either that, or have a generic panel/tab with the same sort of links appear.

heruca
Developer

Re: BRPG v1.3e beta released

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Omnidon wrote:One concern, however, is that it makes a somewhat unimpressive first impression on new users.
It probably takes a couple minutes for most new users to get around to changing the map, and until they do they won't really appreciate the graphical capabilities and spacious feel of BRPG.
I'd like to think that anyone who bothers to download BRPG is going to eventually take a look at the sample Encounters.

How do others feel about this change?

I suppose I could also perform a check to see if this is the first time the app has been launched, and if so, have it automatically load a sample Encounter. Speaking of which, I need to spend some time to come up with more interesting and impressive sample Encounters to include with BRPG. If anyone has something they'd like to share, please email me the Encounter and the external media bundle that goes with it.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Updated the OP to include a Full Install version of BRPG v1.3e.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:11 pm

I think newcomers fall into two groups -
  • Those who are being brought in by friends (in which case the friends will show them good images) or
    those who are researching VTTs and they will probably be perfectly able to load some of their own maps and images to see how they look.
I'd tend to agree with Heruca that faster loading will impress more people than a grass background.

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:45 pm

I think the new fast load time is more than worth it and what with the free art pack adventure its not hard to see what BG can do
Running 5 player D&D 4E campaign over the net using BRPG 1.4e

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:28 pm

Oh sure, I finally get 1.3d going, and you give us 1.3e!

:D

Sounds like some nice changes in there. Any idea if any of them will make Fog of War work smoother? I'd like to at least start using dynamic FoW, but am concerned about slowness.
Running 4 player D&D 4th ed. campaign over the net using BRPG 1.6b.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:49 pm

I'm curious as to why FoW is slow for you. Are you running BRPG on a slow computer? Do you have dozens of light sources on the map at once? Try lowering the FoW rendering resolution (from the FoW panel if you're the GM, and from the BG button if you're a player).

You can also speed things up a lot on slower computers by not enabling things like Darkvision on monsters. Only flip it on to check if they can see a party member when that's in doubt, then flip it back off.

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:06 pm

All I know was that when I was doing 1.3d testing and I turned on FoW, the program slowed to a crawl. I will do more testing and get back to you if necessary.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:20 pm

I have never been able to get manual and dynamic FOW to run together at anything even near a workable speed.

On an unrelated and brighter note, I tested 1.3e in game yesterday and detected no bugs of note. I did notice a load-speed improvement, an in-game speed improvement, and a bundle-export speed improvement. So far, thumbs up. I don't know how to use the new turn sequencer yet, though, so I didn't test it.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:09 pm

Using 1.3d last night with FoW on we had a massive slowdown. Will be testing 1.3e next week.
Running 5 player D&D 4E campaign over the net using BRPG 1.4e

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:14 pm

Farland, if you just use Dynamic FoW - representing a dark area or dungeon and the PCs moving about with lanterns or torches - how has that worked for you?

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:48 pm

Dynamic FOW only (no manual) has worked for me very well for quite a long time.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:23 pm

Okay, I'll look into using that in my games then.

Thanks! :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:31 am

BRPG v1.3e is now out of beta, and has become the new official release on the Downloads page, supplanting v1.2f. :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:54 pm

Updated the OP to include a DMG version for Mac users, since StuffIt Expander occasionally causes problems for people who download the Zip version.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:39 am

Farland wrote:I don't know how to use the new turn sequencer yet, though, so I didn't test it.
Check out video tutorial #3, which covers how to use and configure the Turn Sequencer.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:28 pm

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I've edited the opening post because a file was mistakenly omitted from both of the Zip files. Be sure to download and install this missing file, as it provides card deck support to BRPG.