Armies of Arcana questions and thoughts

Zinkala
Sergeant

Armies of Arcana questions and thoughts

Post by Zinkala » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:37 am

Hello Heruca and Omnidon,
Ive been playing around a bit with BRPG and have a few questions and comments. First up is how does a dial up internet connection handled running BRPG? At home Im on dial up although I do have access to high speed if I need it. I tend to wait until I can go somewhere with high speed if I have large files I want to download or upload. Are there any significant lag times or delays while connected? Are there any tricks to getting around this such as e-mailing necessary information and files to the players ahead of time?

I just realized that Im using v1.08a right now. Over the weekend I plan on downloading the latest version. Should I go for the v1.2 beta or v1.1? Im considering the beta because it looks like youve added a few new features.

I have a laptop and a desktop at home. Im planning on using them on a LAN to try things out. Do I need another license to run both of them or will my current license work? I installed the programs on both computers from the same download if that matters. Im planning on buying a floating license anyhow so that I can get some other people to help me with some things. Ive had an offer of help from one of the AoA developers but hes wanting me to do the majority of the set up work and then hell help me run some tests and play around.

Ill also want some advice on how to adapt BRPG to AoA. Im learning that a lot of the things Id like to see are already possible. For example labels can be used to show if a token is under the influence of any spells or broken/fleeing from the battlefield. But Ill need to know how to rewrite the file for labels and possible other areas so that they show the options that we need.

The sideboard is useful for us as well because there are situations where units may appear later in the game and not in the standard army deployment zones.

I was looking at the AOE templates and thinking that they would work well for showing things like arcs of fire and different ranges. A player could just click on his unit and check for short, medium or long range options and automatically know whats possible. But all of this would need to be set up seperately for different weapons. Is it possible to have these templates attached to a unit. Or another option is to just have a template for each range class of weapon in the menu. For AoA premeasuring is allowed in all situations. So it would be ok for both players to be able to access the information for both armies.

I dont have any of the demo scenarios from the forum downloaded yet but will be doing that soon. I used to play GURPS and AD&D 2nd ed. So if the demos are for either of those systems or something similar I should be able to play around a bit.

I was also wondering about tokens for download. Ive found a few through your forum and dundjinni. But you wouldnt happen to have a concise set of links where I might find more?

heruca
Developer

Re: Armies of Arcana questions and thoughts.

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:19 am

Zinkala wrote:First up is how does a dial up internet connection handled running BRPG? At home Im on dial up although I do have access to high speed if I need it. I tend to wait until I can go somewhere with high speed if I have large files I want to download or upload. Are there any significant lag times or delays while connected? Are there any tricks to getting around this such as e-mailing necessary information and files to the players ahead of time?
Dial up is not recommended, but is supported. It's actually more viable in most wargaming situations than it is in RPGs, because you can generally anticipate all the maps, tokens, etc. that you will need ahead of time, so the whole thing can probably be run from one media bundle prepared and transferred prior to game time. BRPG already allows media bundles to be created which contain all the necessary media, so the Wargame Edition can have similar functionality.

Actions like moving or rotating units only use a few bytes of information.
Zinkala wrote:I just realized that Im using v1.08a right now. Over the weekend I plan on downloading the latest version. Should I go for the v1.2 beta or v1.1? Im considering the beta because it looks like youve added a few new features.
I'd recommend v1.2.

Does AoA use game cards of any sort?
Zinkala wrote:I have a laptop and a desktop at home. Im planning on using them on a LAN to try things out. Do I need another license to run both of them or will my current license work? I installed the programs on both computers from the same download if that matters. Im planning on buying a floating license anyhow so that I can get some other people to help me with some things. Ive had an offer of help from one of the AoA developers but hes wanting me to do the majority of the set up work and then hell help me run some tests and play around.
I'll send you a Floating License code, so that anyone else can log into your game using just the free Demo (but they must use the exact same version).
Zinkala wrote:Ill also want some advice on how to adapt BRPG to AoA. Im learning that a lot of the things Id like to see are already possible. For example labels can be used to show if a token is under the influence of any spells or broken/fleeing from the battlefield. But Ill need to know how to rewrite the file for labels and possible other areas so that they show the options that we need.
Look in the "Preferences" directory, in your BRPG folder. In there, you will find a file called "Labels Menu.txt". Open it in a word processor. Edit the labels to be whatever you need them to be. You can insert a TAB before an entry to make any label get listed in a submenu (see how the four Posture labels were handled). Save your changes, then try them out your new labels in BRPG.
Zinkala wrote:The sideboard is useful for us as well because there are situations where units may appear later in the game and not in the standard army deployment zones.
I may also add special panels for tracking things like Reinforcements that are meant to arrive on particular game turns.
Zinkala wrote:I was looking at the AOE templates and thinking that they would work well for showing things like arcs of fire and different ranges. A player could just click on his unit and check for short, medium or long range options and automatically know whats possible. But all of this would need to be set up seperately for different weapons. Is it possible to have these templates attached to a unit. Or another option is to just have a template for each range class of weapon in the menu. For AoA premeasuring is allowed in all situations. So it would be ok for both players to be able to access the information for both armies.
Yes, AoE templates can be attached to units. This is described in the User Manual.
Zinkala wrote:I dont have any of the demo scenarios from the forum downloaded yet but will be doing that soon. I used to play GURPS and AD&D 2nd ed. So if the demos are for either of those systems or something similar I should be able to play around a bit.
Nothing for GURPS yet. Both of the sample adventures are D&D/d20.
Zinkala wrote:I was also wondering about tokens for download. Ive found a few through your forum and dundjinni. But you wouldnt happen to have a concise set of links where I might find more?
What are you looking for, specifically?

RPGMapShare is a good place to start your search:
http://rpgmapshare.com/index.php?q=gall ... itemId=105
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Zinkala
Sergeant

Post by Zinkala » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:44 pm

Im glad to hear that dial up will work. I live out in the country and dont have the option of high speed yet. It may be possible soon though. My thought was that players could be sent a selection of maps ahead of time. The tokens and such most players will likely download and save them before hand as well. Tokens that I am looking for at the moment are generic warriors of various races with different weapons. I want at least two different races with spear, sword, bow or crossbow and some cavalry types. Ive downloaded some nice orcs from dundjinni and some of the character packs Ive seen will give me many of the options. But you can never have too many! :) Eventually we will need large monsters and other things. Part of the appeal AoA is that you can use any miniature from any company, design statistics for it and play. It will be up to individual players to figure out how to make tokens for some of the more exotic choices.

Ill download the v1.2 beta as soon as I can and recommend it to the others.

AoA doesnt use any game cards. It was specifically designed to be very light on paperwork and extras. All that is needed to play are d6, rulebook with army lists, tape measure and a few templates/notes to designate spells and morale.

AoA doesnt specifically use reinforcements yet. But we are wanting to have people design more scenarios and that would be a useful feature. Many games Ive played do have specified turns for when reinforcements arrive. What it has now is an option for infiltrators. They remain off the board until their player wants them to appear. The sideboard is perfect for this.

I was thinking about regiments and what would be needed to make them work. I suppose they could work the same as any other unit in BRPG. The trick is in designing the unit so that players can modify shape and size(# of models) while playing. Characters can join or leave regiments at will which adds another layer of difficulty. As models die the regiment will shrink but there are also spells which may allow it to grow. You already understand the need for free form movement.

Another stupid question. BRPG doesnt automatically track combat results does it? For example you attack my character and I take wounds. Its up to me or the GM to change the HP stats to reflect this? Im just trying to understand the limitations. BRPG isnt a video game of course its a graphics interface. How much record keeping can be done in the program? For AoA some models will need to keep track of wounds. That can be done easily enough with labels for our use. Im thinking of other games like battletech or RPGs that use records sheets. The players keep track of things offline? Or can the record sheet be accessed online as well?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:28 pm

For tokens, you might want to browse through FUM's commercial token sets.

Combat results can be tracked with the notepad feature for now, but better things are on the way.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Zinkala
Sergeant

Post by Zinkala » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:58 pm

I actually figured out how to select and move groups myself after I asked. It's amazing what you can learn if you just open your eyes and try something. :oops: I'm sitting here with a couple of groups of elves and orcs moving them around on a map. My apologies if at times my comments or questions sound silly. I'm very appreciative of the fast replies I'm getting. Certain features I've seen and then forgotten how to repeat. Others I haven't found yet.

Honestly I think you are very close to having a program that can do all that is necessary for AoA. Of course there's a lot of extras we could add, but the minimums needed are almost possible. Players will have to make their own judgements on how map terrain effects movement and combat but that's already normal.

Forming regiments should be easy enough. Each player will have a selection of tokens to represent his creatures and they can place as many as they need in the formation they want. With snap to grid on they form up nice ranks easily. It would be nice if there was a way to save regiments for future use or modification. Most of the time players will use many of the same units over and over without much change, choosing instead to swap out entire regiments.

What you need is an option to lock all the selected units into one new unit. That way if I want to change something, say facing direction, I can click and all the units turn to face the way I want. Or for adjusting anything on the regiment it would affect the entire selection instead of one unit at a time. For example base colour, morale status, what not. When it comes time to remove casualties or change formation the regiment can be unlocked, modified and then relocked for easier movement and selection.

This would work for skirmishers as well. The player spaces them out how he wants and then locks them to move the group. If he needs to adjust things due to terrain he can unlock same as above. This feature would also allow for characters to be added or removed from the regiment during play. When a character is in base contact with a regiment he can choose to join it if he wants.

In AoA most templates have a varying effect on units depending on if they are skirmished or R&F. It isn't importan how many figures are under the template, just that the regiment was touched by it. Then the hits transfer through the rest of the models. Skirmishers generally take 1/2 of the hits that a tight R&F regiment would from things like fireballs and artillery.

For movement you need to allow the regiment to pivot on a corner or from the center. It would be nice if the rotation adjustment in the edit unit section would also rotate the base if you wanted. This could be tied into the regiment rotation I think as well because a "locked" regiment would act the same as an individual unit. The movement keys can be used if the player wants to move exactly in a straight line by one base distance. Or the player can manually move the unit with the mouse for less exact circumstances. Would be nice if the rotate functions were given hot keys to speed things up.

If you can program these changes I think that table top miniature gaming is good to go. This is the biggest thing that's needed right now. I can think of more useful features many of which you've already in the works. But this is the most important.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:23 pm

Hotkeyed presets for re-selecting predefined groups of units are planned.

The are already hotkeys for unit rotation: the plus and minus keys (counter-clockwise and clockwise, respectively). Holding down the Shift key while pressing a rotation key will allow for facing diagonally.

Zinkala
Sergeant

Post by Zinkala » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:04 am

Those hot keys work perfect for if you want to do regiment facing changes. Now all you need is the grouping function and a way of pivoting/wheeling the entire regiment. I would be perfect if it worked like the rotation adjustment under edit figure. That gives a player the possibility of practically unlimited choice in how to position the regiment. It would need to be linked to the corners and dead center of the regiment/unit. So that a player can choose from what point to wheel or have the entire regiment rotate in place around the center.

The more I tinker with BRPG the happier I am. I don't know how hard it is to implement that final request but I think that's all that's keeping it from being playable as is. Actually it might be playable as is just not as flexible as it could be.

This could be adaped to Warhammer as well. 40k is probably already doable because it doesn't rely on tight formations. I know there's a lot of players for them. I used to play a lot of both those until I found AoA.

I'm going to start working on modifying the labels soon.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:59 am

Sounds good.

How much table-space does AoA need? Is a 40 x 40 grid too small/cramped?

Zinkala
Sergeant

Post by Zinkala » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:16 pm

I was looking at that last night and wanting to ask you about map sizes. If we go with the standard grid size of 5x5(which is great) the maps are about 1/2 size of what's needed. Depending on the size of the battles a 4'x6' or 4'x8' table is used. Some people even construct larger. This weekend in London there is a pairs compettion being played and I think they plan on running 2 armies against 2 armies on a 5' x 12' table. If we could get a map size of 48 x 96 that would be excellent. For average sized games 48x72 is workable. Smaller would be limiting.

For AoA we could be using less detailed graphics. Pretty terrain is nice but we don't need a lot of extra little things. What we need is a way to define and label terrain areas. Map building in BRPG is already possible. WE just need graphics in the objects folder for various blocks of terrain. Make the map base colour whatever theme you want(grass, desert, etc) and then throw out a bunch of terrain features. Most tables are relatively bare because it's a pain moving ranked up figures up and over lots of small features.

Zinkala
Sergeant

Post by Zinkala » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:01 pm

How do I change the AoE ranges? Do I have to edit the .png files to make the cones I want? I am trying to do plain geometric cones that show the various standard ranges for AoA. For example a normal bow has a short range of 7

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:59 pm

Zinkala wrote:What we need is a way to define and label terrain areas.
Have you tried the Notes feature, yet? It allows for descriptive text to pop up over a unit when you position the mouse cursor over it.

For example:

"Light Woods
Movement Halved"

Currently the Notes feature only exists for figures, but it could be expanded to work with objects easily enough.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:01 pm

[quote="Zinkala"]How do I change the AoE ranges? Do I have to edit the .png files to make the cones I want? I am trying to do plain geometric cones that show the various standard ranges for AoA. For example a normal bow has a short range of 7

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:05 pm

Zinkala wrote:To add things to the Library or charts and tables does it need to be a JPEG file? I was thinking of putting the army lists, turn reference chart and spell lists in there for easy reference.
Besides JPG format, I think PNG and BMP are also supported.

However, you might be better off attaching your reference charts to free-floating object icons on the map. That way, during play, all you have to do to reference a chart is roll the mouse over the proper icon, and the chart will appear in the upper right corner of the screen.

Zinkala
Sergeant

Post by Zinkala » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:37 pm

I hadn't tried the notes feature yet. I threw the objects I wanted into the Figures folder and can add notes to them now. I'm going to search for some pictures of various terrain and add them. Then I'll be able to do a quick map right in BRPG. If players want to predesign maps they can. Or they can take turns laying down terrain from the object/figures folders similar to what they do on a real table. Is there any function to lock a unit in place? Objects can be locked I know. If you add the notes feature to objects then it's not important.

Notes can be use to show what a unit is and I can include a stat line with that. Good quick reference for both sides. No arguments over what anything is :D It also helps to show where and what the hero types are while in a unit.

How can I attach the files to free floating object? What I can do is make up the seperate spell and army lists and just include the ones that I know will be used in the scenario. All of this can be in the library as well if someone wants to access information about an army that's not being played. Notes works well for short lines of information. I've attached the missile chart you included through portraits and that's ok for a work around.

Another question about tokens. I've found and downloaded some pictures from various sites that I can use. A couple were giant lizards off the dundjinni forum that you tinkered with. When I saved the picture to my computer the background went black and now in BRPG they have an ugly black square around them instead of customizable bases. What do I need to do to make them BRPG compatible.

I've got a suspition that I'll be buying Dundjinni soon. Are you familiar with the Reaper token pack on their website? Do you know if it has top down images or just portraits? I have a few of their minis and could definitely use some things from there.

Too bad about the AoE. Combined with the ruler we can still get the same effect. So it's not a huge disappointment. But a multi shade range finder with field of view would be excellent for a lot of wargames.

Spell templates I guess can be handled as objects easily enough. Just need to modify some images to suit what I need. Not difficult because I have image files of the AoA templates.

Lots of questions I know but I think I'm close to being able to do a playable scenario.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Figures can't be locked, only objects can.

Free-floating objects can have files attached using the Portrait feature.

Internet Explorer has issues with the DJ forums. PNGs get downloaded as BMPs, and lose their transparency data. Use a different browser, or use a download manager, to get the art. Or, if a zip file is available, that'll work, too.

The Reaper tokens for DJ are cropped portraits, not top-down.

Zinkala
Sergeant

Post by Zinkala » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:47 am

IE is what I generally use. I noticed that the files were being saved as BMP but didn't think it was a problem. At least that's easy enough to fix.

Too bad about the reaper file. I don't need portraits. I'm planning on buying some of the FUM tokens tomorrow while I've got access to high speed internet.

I've finished templates for all of the AoA spells that need them now. Took a few minutes to figure out what size and resolution was needed for BRPG and then it was just copy paste and resize. After reading through the spell lists it might be better to have terrain as objects/figures because certain spells allow you to move, delete or create terrain. I'm going to do up a selection of standard terrain in the normal dimensions we use.

One other thing I found is that if I lock an object then I can't unlock it. Is this the way it's supposed to be or is it because I'm using an older version?

So next step for me is finding or making some terrain features and converting the lists I want into image files from wordpad or even just scanning the rule book. Then I'll do up some figures with a stat line attached in notes.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:47 am

To unlock an object, you have to use the Unit Manager panel. Only the GM can unlock objects.

Zinkala
Sergeant

Post by Zinkala » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:50 am

I understand now. I saw that button while I was playing around.

Zinkala
Sergeant

Post by Zinkala » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:15 am

Today I was able to download the BRPG v1.2 beta, a bunch of tokens and dundjinni. I was playing around looking at the various tokens I have and thinking that we need cavalry options badly. Then I thought about the bases. For Warhammer and AoA cavalry are based on 25mm x 50mm bases. BRPG doesn't support rectangular bases. That's another thing that could be tweaked.

Another question is about switching systems. If everything is set up to play in one system it seems that you need to move a variety of files around to get what you need for the new system to work properly. Is there any easier way to support multiple systems? Later on I can probably do up a Warhammer adaptation because I'm familiar with that game. I've been reading the new rules for Field of Glory and might be able to set something up for that as well. That would give you a pretty wide audience for the Wargames edition. Field of glory uses rectangular bases as well with the depth varying depending on the tyoe of unit.

This makes me think that having a base that's part of the token might be what's needed. If the token and base were merged the rotate function would give you the possibiltiy of lining things up how you want and could allow rectangular bases. Just a thought. You know better than me how this might work.

I also bought a headset with mike and downloaded skype. I haven't installed it yet though. I have the demos scenarios from your website now. I haven't taken a look at them yet.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:00 am

Sounds like you're really getting into this. :)

Good point about needing rectangular bases for cavalry. Hex mode already has 2-hex and 3-hex bases, but there's no equivalent for square mode, yet. I'll have to do something about that.

For a Car Wars mod I was working on, I ended up including the bases on the vehicle graphics, and deploying the vehicles as objects instead of figures.

Switching systems is something that won't be addressed until BRPG v2.x, but it's possible I might be able to work it into the Wargame Edition right from the start.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:01 am

Interesting thread on the Field of Glory forums (current, too):
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5315

Zinkala
Sergeant

Post by Zinkala » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:17 pm

When I start on a project I tend to go full speed for as long as I can. Right now I have the time and the interest to make this work. There's a small group of people I know wanting to get this working soon. In a month or two my spare time is going to be a lot less. So I'm trying my best to get as close an approximation to AoA out of the BRPG engine as possible. Some of this will have multiple applications if I get things figured out.

I have friends that would be interested in used BRPG for Battletech and other FASA games too. You've made a good impression on me and I'd like to help you out and get to play some of my favourite games in return! :D If you can program it I'll do the final adaptations to my favourite games.

Switching systems isn't a huge problem but it would be more user friendly if you can work it into BRPG.

Interesting the discussion about IP protection and such. I've been studying a bit on that because I got my wrists slapped by a GW forum for resin casting modified bits. It's a tangled mess of legislature and not something the average person can wade into. I definitely don't want to get myself or any others into trouble with the big companies. That's one good thing about doing this with AoA. I'm on the commitee that controls the IP rights for that. Warhammer works similar enough to AoA that it will be easy to adapt. FoG is a different system totally but as far as the computer side goes the graphics should handle it as well. Just need to include all the rules specific parts.

About IP and what BRPG does. When I host a game all of the necessary information, libraries, tokens and such are on my computer. BRPG send that information to my players. But if I disconnect then they no longer have access to that info? Unless I've already sent it to them by another means? As far as AoA goes the army lists and a lot of other things are already available on the internet for personal use. But for other companies I know they don't like people sharing informaiton on their games.

For the wargames edition having all of the units as objects might not be a bad thing. As long as you add the notes feature :) That way terrain can be placed or adjusted as we play. For example in a siege a castle wall might be knocked down and need to have the good all section removed and lay down a rubble section. Terrain can be locked down for most of the time and then unlocked if/when it needs to be changed.

I bought dundjinni because I've wanted a good map making program for a long time. Right now I have an excuse for why I need it :lol: I'll be able to use it for a lot of different things.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:15 pm

Zinkala wrote:About IP and what BRPG does. When I host a game all of the necessary information, libraries, tokens and such are on my computer. BRPG send that information to my players. But if I disconnect then they no longer have access to that info? Unless I've already sent it to them by another means?
Graphical and audio media assets will continue to reside on the players' computers (useful for future sessions, so that they don't have to be re-transmitted) until the players manually purge that media. However, the media is locked inside BRPG, and thus cannot be used outside of the program, since the files don't exist externally on the players' hard drives. Furthermore, without the Encounter file that specifies how to use the media, the players can't really do anything with that media (i.e., they can't utilize those images in their own Encounters).

Zinkala
Sergeant

Post by Zinkala » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:35 pm

So technically only the GM can use the information and he should have the necessary books and such anyhow.

I've been playing around again. I editted some png files to have 2.5" x 2.5" "bases" around the token. Other than it's not as pretty as your base option it works. The figures can still be used and retain all of the features, notes and what not. If you start rotating them you can see the actual base outline but for my uses we can just ignore that(use clear bases) and play without snap to grid. It's a little fiddly to adjust ranked up units it your going with a non standard turn. ie not 45 or 90 degrees. But workable.

With the v1.08 I was able to select a group of figures and drag them around in formation. I can't seem to do this in v1.2. Am I doing something wrong? Or has that function changed? It was handy.

I've been playing with the dice macros a bit too. That's a nice feature. In AoA if a creature has a melee skill of 2 that means that it needs a 1 or 2 on a d6 to hit. Rarely are there modifers added in melee. Genrally just for situations such as fighting up or down hill or over a wall. So it's simple to add the attack macro. Armour saves on the other hand have a lot of modifers depending on the specific strength of the attacker. I suppose the quickest fix would be to do a seperate macro for each strength. ie Armour 2 is light chainmail and saves on a 1 or 2 on a d6. if hit by a strength (1) creature the armour save is reduced by 1. if hit by strength (2) or more they don't get a save. Any suggestions on how to use the dice macros more effeciently?

Another couple of days and I think I'll actually be able to play a small battle against myself! Just a few more things to figure out and prepare.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:19 pm

Zinkala wrote:With the v1.08 I was able to select a group of figures and drag them around in formation. I can't seem to do this in v1.2. Am I doing something wrong? Or has that function changed? It was handy.
Crap. I think this feature broke in v1.2. AFAIK, it was working fine in all the prior versions. I'll definitely fix this for the next release.

Regarding macro modifiers, I suggest you either just edit the success target number prior to making the roll, or you make up different macros to use vs. different opponents (e.g., "Armor Save vs. Strength 1", "Armor Save vs. Strength 2", etc).