AoE questions.....

morval
Sergeant

AoE questions.....

Post by morval » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:04 pm

I noticed in the AoE Overlay folder there are some overlays that I don't seem to be able to get when I apply a AoE to a figure.

Square_Cone_Angle.... is an example.

When I rotate a figure that has a Gridded Cone AoE I only get it directly lined up with the facing (North, East, South, West). I can't get the angles. If I turn off "Follow facing" I still can't seem to get the angled AoE.

Is there a sperate set of keys to rotate the AoE overlay. When I use Shift with the + or - the figure simply rotates, but the AoE doesn't.

The Geometric Cone angle seems to work though.

thanks,

morval

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:40 pm

Hmm, good question. It may be a bug, or, more probably, a case of incomplete development. I'll take a close look at the code tomorrow and find out.

Were you experimenting with a figure only, or did you also try with an object? They use similar but not identical code for AoE rotation. It may well be that I finished the code for objects and forgot to apply it to figures.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

morval
Sergeant

Post by morval » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:47 pm

heruca wrote:Hmm, good question. It may be a bug, or, more probably, a case of incomplete development. I'll take a close look at the code tomorrow and find out.

Were you experimenting with a figure only, or did you also try with an object? They use similar but not identical code for AoE rotation. It may well be that I finished the code for objects and forgot to apply it to figures.
Only used figures so far for AoE.

I did experiement with Objects when I at first thought the AoE's were not right at all. I thought I'd make an AoE Object that could be put any where (free floating), but I came upon another problem. When free floating is turned on the rotating does not keep. You can rotate it, but then it reverts back to its begining position.

morval

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:52 pm

morval wrote:I thought I'd make an AoE Object that could be put any where (free floating), but I came upon another problem. When free floating is turned on the rotating does not keep. You can rotate it, but then it reverts back to its begining position.
Ah, looks like you've discovered a bug. Although I can't fathom why you'd want an AoE to be free-floating. I think what you really want is to deploy an AoE as an independent object.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

morval
Sergeant

Post by morval » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:57 pm

heruca wrote:Hmm, good question. It may be a bug, or, more probably, a case of incomplete development. I'll take a close look at the code tomorrow and find out.

Seems to be the same with Objects. Also objects I guess have no facing so the AoE doesn't rotate with the object. You have to manually select which square for the cone to start from, but like figures, it won't except anything other than north, east, south, west.

I haven't actually used BRPG in a game yet, but from my tests it seems a little bit cumbersome to change things with AoE's. I guess you shouldn't have to do a lot of them, but if you get a few Wizards together and a Cleric you have a lot of AoE's happening all at once. Its nice for strategy to be able to move them around easily to see how to get the most bang for your buck.

It would be nice if the rotating was a bit more like a mode. Say you press a certain key and now the figure or AoE rotates freely around when you move the mouse, perhaps in 45deg chucks (or ctrl key for 30deg also if other systems use that). In Campaign Cartogragher rotating sort of works like that.

morval

morval
Sergeant

Post by morval » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:01 am

heruca wrote:
morval wrote:I thought I'd make an AoE Object that could be put any where (free floating), but I came upon another problem. When free floating is turned on the rotating does not keep. You can rotate it, but then it reverts back to its begining position.
Ah, looks like you've discovered a bug. Although I can't fathom why you'd want an AoE to be free-floating. I think what you really want is to deploy an AoE as an independent object.
In D&D you wouldn't really, but I'm sure other systems that don't use a grid at all would be nice to have a free floating AoE?

morval

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:04 am

I agree completely. AoE management is one of the clunkiest things in BRPG, interface-wise. I've been meaning to revamp the system (which was only intended to be temporary), but other things keep getting prioritized.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:07 am

I'm not sure you understand what the free-floating feature is for. It's intended for things you want to always be on-screen, like a map compass, map legend, etc.

Free-floating objects are unaffected by scrolling or zooming the map. So why would you want an AoE to be free-floating, regardless of game system?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:57 am

I think, by free-floating, he means not tied to a specific figure.

He probably doesn't know about the floating object feature yet.

morval
Sergeant

Post by morval » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:17 am

Omnidon wrote:I think, by free-floating, he means not tied to a specific figure.

He probably doesn't know about the floating object feature yet.
I thought I had already responded a while ago to this, but looks like it got lost :)

I didn't realize what free floating was. I thought it was a way to have an object be placed anywhere on the screen while snap to grid was still on. I get it now.

morval

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:30 am

Yeah, problem is we're having the same conversation in multiple threads. ;-)

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:14 pm

heruca wrote:I agree completely. AoE management is one of the clunkiest things in BRPG, interface-wise. I've been meaning to revamp the system (which was only intended to be temporary), but other things keep getting prioritized.
Agreed - but we have used semi-transparent objects, custom built, as AoEs and they work fine. Being tied to a figure is a 'nice to have' for certain AoEs, but then you really need the 'square corner' version and the 'diagonal corner' ones to alternate as the figure turns in 45 degree increments - something that is currenlt very clunky to do.
Balesir