BG and Voice Chat?

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
DedmeetDM
Cannon Fodder

BG and Voice Chat?

Post by DedmeetDM » Wed May 23, 2007 3:04 pm

Hey all,

Haven't gotten BG yet. I'm just wondering how well it works with voice chat? Have any of you tried it yet. I am new to the Virtual Table-top and would like to know how well the game runs on something like Ventrilo.

Thanks,

DedmeetDM

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 23, 2007 3:31 pm

Welcome, DedmeetDM.

BRPG runs great with voice chat, at least as long as everyone has broadband. We used Ventrilo during iConvention in March and loved it. Skype is also an option (and there are many others), but I really like/prefer the push-to-talk feature of Ventrilo, as opposed to an "always on" mic.

Voice really makes for faster game play.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

DedmeetDM
Cannon Fodder

Post by DedmeetDM » Wed May 23, 2007 4:45 pm

The faster game play, and more of a "face-to-face" feel is what i am looking for. I have noticed that typing everything can really make a game slow down.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 23, 2007 5:22 pm

Some people prefer a mix. They use text chat for the "in character" stuff, and voice to keep the game moving along, ooc chatter, etc.

The nice thing about that is that you can save the chat log for posterity, or use it to get a player up to speed again if they missed a game session.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed May 23, 2007 7:24 pm

heruca wrote:The nice thing about that is that you can save the chat log for posterity
Well you can always record the voice convo too ;-)

I'm a fan of Teamspeak, though Ventrillo is good too. Skype has the highest fidelity, but I can't stand not having push-to-talk.

heruca
Developer

Re: BG and Voice Chat?

Post by heruca » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:34 pm

Just got Teamspeak 3 set up on my new computer. I was wondering if there are good servers available for Battlegrounds users to meet up on. My Teamspeak nickname is Heruca.

I also got a Ventrilo client set up, but have been unable to get the server to work properly. Since the Ventrilo server is WIndows-only, I am running it on my WIndows virtual machine. I set up port-forwarding for it on my router, but since my Mac and my Windows VM share the same internal IP address, that looks to be a non-starter. I can't seem to be able to join my own locally-hosted server. :(

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:13 am

heruca wrote:I also got a Ventrilo client set up, but have been unable to get the server to work properly. Since the Ventrilo server is WIndows-only, I am running it on my WIndows virtual machine. I set up port-forwarding for it on my router, but since my Mac and my Windows VM share the same internal IP address, that looks to be a non-starter. I can't seem to be able to join my own locally-hosted server. :(
I would just stick with TS3. It definitely outclasses ventrillo in features & quality these days. Mumble is the other option some people use, but that one also isn't as good as TS3.
heruca wrote:Just got Teamspeak 3 set up on my new computer. I was wondering if there are good servers available for Battlegrounds users to meet up on. My Teamspeak nickname is Heruca.
Anyone can set up a 32-slot TS3 server for free. Just download the server application. https://www.teamspeak.com/downloads
It's very lightweight and can be run off a PC in windows, mac, & linux.
There are certainly plenty of free public servers out there, tho I don't know of a good one to recommend off the top of my head.

If someone wishes to set up TS3 on a rented virtual private server (optional), I recommend the $8 / month linux plan from NFOservers.com
Don't pay for TS3 slots directly; just install TS3 on the VPS. I'm happy to help people set that up if they need it. DigitalOcean also has a good tutorial.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:01 pm

Thx for the info. I've been partial to Ventrilo since the FUMcon days, but it's clear that the software has stagnated since then, while TS3 has progressed. So I guess it's time to switch. Fortunately, my favorite feature, push-to-talk, is present in TS3.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:48 pm

Tried to set up a TS3 server on a Mac and couldn't. The posted instructions are apparently obsolete and don't work at all. I never got as far as launching the server. :(

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:27 pm

heruca wrote:Tried to set up a TS3 server on a Mac and couldn't. The posted instructions are apparently obsolete and don't work at all. I never got as far as launching the server. :(
The posted instructions where? The digitalocean tutorial I posted was for an Ubuntu linux VPS
I've set up TS3 servers on both Windows & Linux several times. Never tried a Mac, tho it is officially supported.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:28 pm

On the TeamSpeak site.