Hero System Mechanics

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
RPMiller
Sergeant

Hero System Mechanics

Post by RPMiller » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:14 pm

As requested I'm putting all the Hero System mechanics issues here and will devote a separate post to each one in the hope of maintaining sanity.

RPMiller
Sergeant

Dice

Post by RPMiller » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:33 pm

The dice mechanic is the easiest one to discuss so I'll start there.

The HERO System uses six-sided dice (d6) to resolve combat, the use of Skills, and similar situations.

Most dice-rolling in the HERO System requires you to roll 3d6 and get a result equal to or less than some number. This is written in the text by a minus sign (-) following the number. Thus, a Skill which your character can perform successfully on an 11 or less roll is written 11-.

Whenever you attempt any 3d6 roll ” whether an Attack Roll, Skill Roll, Characteristic Roll, Perception Roll, or other roll ” a result of 3 (three ones) always hits or succeeds; a result of 18 (three sixes) always misses or fails.

Normal Damage Attacks

This type of damage tends to knock an opponent out (by causing STUN damage) rather than kill him (by causing BODY damage). The total on the dice is the amount of STUN damage the attack does. To determine how much BODY damage it does, look at the numbers rolled on the dice: a 1 is 0 BODY; a 2-5 is 1 BODY, and a 6 is 2 BODY. Thus, a 6d6 Normal Damage attack which rolls 6, 5, 4, 4, 2, and 1 does 22 STUN and 6 BODY. The number of BODY done is usually close to the number of dice rolled.

Example: Dakota Smith uses his 25 STR to hit the nefarious Professor X. Because X is irredeemably evil, Dakota decides to do his full damage. Dakota rolls 25/5 = 5d6 for damage. He rolls the dice and the following numbers come up: 2, 6, 3, 5, 4. The total of the dice is 20, so 20 STUN are applied to X. The 2, 3, 5 and 4 do 1 BODY each, and the 6 does 2 BODY, so the total BODY damage is 6 BODY.

If a character has to roll a half die (1/2d6), damage is determined differently. The half die should be rolled separately or separated by color or size to identify it as the 1/2d6. The face value of the die is multiplied by one half and rounded up to get the number of STUN done. The 1/2d6 does 1 BODY if the roll is a 4, 5, or 6.

Killing Damage Attacks

Damage for Killing Damage attacks is determined differently from Normal Damage attacks. The total of the dice is the number of BODY applied to the target. To determine the STUN done, the character rolls a STUN Multiplier ” 1d6-1 (minimum of 1) ” and multiplies the result by the amount of BODY done.

Example: The Claw slashes a policeman with his claws, doing an HKA 2d6. The dice rolled are 3 and 4, for a total of 7 BODY. The Claw then rolls 1d6, rolling a 6. Since The Claw has a standard HKA, the STUN Multiplier is 1d6-1. He rolled a 6, so the STUN Multiplier is 6-1 = 5. The total STUN damage done is 7 x 5 = 35 STUN.

RPMiller
Sergeant

Speed

Post by RPMiller » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:04 pm

Next up I'll deal with the 'initiative' system that it uses. This is not like initiative systems from other games. It is a little more involved, but I consider it among the best out there for realism sake. I use the term realism very loosely here. ;)

COMBAT TIME

Combat is divided into very small fragments of time. There are three separate time increments: Turn, Segment, and Phase.

TURN

The basic time frame of combat is called a Turn. Each Turn equals 12 seconds of time. Each Turn a character gets to perform a number of actions equal to his Speed. A Turn is divided into 12 Segments.

SEGMENT

Each Turn consists of 12 Segments, each 1 second long. Characters who can perform an Action in a Segment do so in order of their DEX values. The character with the highest DEX score goes first, the second highest goes next, and so on. Two or more characters with the same DEX who act in the same Segment go in order of INT, and if that is tied then they should each roll 1d6; the one with the highest roll acts first. Ties should roll again.

After every Segment 12, before the next Turn begins, there is a œPost-Segment 12
Last edited by RPMiller on Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

RPMiller
Sergeant

Scale

Post by RPMiller » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:10 pm

GAME SCALE

An œinch

RPMiller
Sergeant

Hero Designer

Post by RPMiller » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:36 pm

This isn't specifically about the mechanics, but if you want to make BRPG THE virtual table top of choice for Hero Gamers you should consider this next feature a must at some point, and I personally can help you a great deal with making it work.

Hero System gamers use a program called Hero Designer to make there characters. SJGames has something similar for GURPS. This application is Java based and creates XML files for the characters. There is a full set of Export Tags available that the user can use to create their own output.

I have written Export Formats for RTF, php and HTML. I suspect that this would make it fairly easy for you to build a character viewer for BRPG as well.

Here is a link to the developer's PbP gaming site, Hero Central, and to the characters page for the game I'm running:
http://www.herocentral.net/characters.h ... nId=521891

Just click on the character name and it will expand and display the character. This is taken directly from the Hero Designer character file that the player uploads to the site. The players do not need to do anything other than upload the character file.

I'm thinking that the easiest way to use this in BRPG is for me to create an HTML export and then for BRPG to display it within the interface. Is that possible?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:22 pm

Thanks for posting all this info. Lots to think about, for sure.

Question regarding Initiative: Say you have two characters with a Speed of 12 and their DEX is also equal. Do you just roll once to see who goes first in every phase that turn, or do you roll 12 times, once for each phase?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

RPMiller
Sergeant

Post by RPMiller » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:33 pm

Each phase you roll. Meaning that the advantage is likely to bounce back and forth as the struggle from phase to phase.

This is a very hypothetical though as I have only seen one published character my whole gaming life with a SPD that high. Most PCs average out to 5 or 6 SPD, and DEX is fairly granular that it is rare that there is a roll off, but that is still a good and fair question.

EDIT: I failed to mention that in the event that DEX is the same, INT comes next. The higher INT goes first, and if those are equal, then the dice are rolled.
Last edited by RPMiller on Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:19 pm

Very informative ;-)
I'll definitely keep this in mind when making custom extensions & RP tools.

RPMiller
Sergeant

Post by RPMiller » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:28 pm

I would be interested in possibly doing this as well. What language is used to create the extensions?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:22 pm

It might be ActionScript (the Flash language) or Lingo (the Director language). Possibly even a mix.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:46 am

I.E. the feature has not been added yet ;-)

Flash is designed to interface easily with Director, and can include Lingo and calls to Lingo functions, in addition to all the normal capabilities in Flash.

See my post on Extension: Flash Integration for more info.

Also, -this article- gives a basic idea of how it would work from the developer's point of view.

RPMiller
Sergeant

Post by RPMiller » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:53 am

Thank you for the information. I'll take a peek at it and see if it is something I want to spend time learning. I am a VB programmer, but know a few other languages from my earlier years.

Also, Heruca, I wanted to thank you once again for spending time last night doing that demo for us. It was very informative and answered a few questions that I had. Starwolf was impressed by how far it has come, but isn't sold on it as it is too system agnostic for his tastes which he feels is actually a bad thing since the application should help reduce the GM's job, and especially for the amount of money that has to be shelled out. He has a group of 7. He said he would keep an eye on its development, but as long as there are programs like ORPG that handles all the system specifics, is completely customizable in that area, and is free, he probably won't be adopting it anytime soon.

For myself, I'm still moving forward with it. I think it has a lot of potential and I want to get more into it and then run a couple demos for my friends and see if they would like playing using the system.

I'll probably be sitting in on a demo of ORPG on Thursday to see what it has to offer as well, and then look into Fantasy Battlegrounds next week and make my final decision the following week.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:06 pm

You're welcome, RPMiller.

I suspect that if automation is your goal, OpenRPG might be the best choice for Hero System. I think Fantasy Grounds would be a poor choice for Hero System, but it's certainly worth checking it out to see what it offers.

RPMiller
Sergeant

Post by RPMiller » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:10 pm

I don't care about automation as much. I am more interested in the look and usability of the tool.

If it really doesn't save any time and is difficult to use or requires tons of time to get 'just right' I'm probably going to pass on it unless there is some other added advantage.

I've heard that about FG, but since I haven't seen it in action I don't want to judge it until I see it. I'm just funny that way. ;)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:50 pm

RPMiller,

Thanks a lot for posting this info. It's proving invaluable for coming up with a new Dice Roller that will support Hero System.

I strongly suggest that players of other game systems start a thread like this one that specifies the die rolling requirements for their RPG system of choice (if it isn't already fully supported by BRPG's current Dice Roller).

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:56 pm

heruca wrote:I strongly suggest that players of other game systems start a thread like this one that specifies the die rolling requirements for their RPG system of choice (if it isn't already fully supported by BRPG's current Dice Roller).
I absolutely won't be able to play my games without a D1 :lol:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:18 pm

Just roll 1d2-1, with the "Min. of 1" checkbox enabled. :)

RPMiller
Sergeant

Post by RPMiller » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:33 pm

You are welcome. I'm glad it has proven useful.

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:53 am

heruca wrote: I strongly suggest that players of other game systems start a thread like this one that specifies the die rolling requirements for their RPG system of choice (if it isn't already fully supported by BRPG's current Dice Roller).
I'm already covered with some of the other diceroller suggestions. Thanx, Heruca

heruca
Developer

Re: Dice

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:53 am

RPMiller wrote:Normal Damage Attacks

This type of damage tends to knock an opponent out (by causing STUN damage) rather than kill him (by causing BODY damage). The total on the dice is the amount of STUN damage the attack does. To determine how much BODY damage it does, look at the numbers rolled on the dice: a 1 is 0 BODY; a 2-5 is 1 BODY, and a 6 is 2 BODY.
I just wanted to point out that this is now supported in v1.0.9, in case it isn't immediately obvious. You just need to mentally substitute the correct terminology. In the attached sample pic, "Total Successes" is the number of BODY the attack did, and "Total Result" is the amount of STUN damage. So in this example, the attack did 5 BODY and 19 STUN.

Edit: Added a small pic showing how to configure the macro settings.
Attachments
How to count BODY.jpg
These are the macro settings to use in order to count BODY. No XML scripting required. :)
How to count BODY.jpg (39.79 KiB) Viewed 8602 times
Hero System Damage Sample.jpg
Hero System Damage Sample.jpg (263.71 KiB) Viewed 8637 times
Last edited by heruca on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

heruca
Developer

Re: Dice

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:58 am

RPMiller wrote:Killing Damage Attacks

Damage for Killing Damage attacks is determined differently from Normal Damage attacks. The total of the dice is the number of BODY applied to the target. To determine the STUN done, the character rolls a STUN Multiplier ” 1d6-1 (minimum of 1) ” and multiplies the result by the amount of BODY done.

Example: The Claw slashes a policeman with his claws, doing an HKA 2d6. The dice rolled are 3 and 4, for a total of 7 BODY. The Claw then rolls 1d6, rolling a 6. Since The Claw has a standard HKA, the STUN Multiplier is 1d6-1. He rolled a 6, so the STUN Multiplier is 6-1 = 5. The total STUN damage done is 7 x 5 = 35 STUN.
I took the liberty of replicating your example exactly (7 BODY, 35 STUN).

Since this is a bit trickier, I've included a second pic that shows how the macro was configured.
Attachments
Hero System Killing Damage Results.jpg
Hero System Killing Damage Results.jpg (247.38 KiB) Viewed 8612 times
Hero System Killing Damage Setup.jpg
Hero System Killing Damage Setup.jpg (303.91 KiB) Viewed 8607 times

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:56 am

Omnidon wrote:
heruca wrote:I strongly suggest that players of other game systems start a thread like this one that specifies the die rolling requirements for their RPG system of choice (if it isn't already fully supported by BRPG's current Dice Roller).
I absolutely won't be able to play my games without a D1 :lol:
Oh no! My D1 is broken! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
d1broken.jpg
d1broken.jpg (60.94 KiB) Viewed 8590 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:21 pm

LOL! You win the prize for finding the least critical bug.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:30 pm

Omnidon wrote:Oh no! My D1 is broken! :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is fixed for v1.0.9a. :lol:

RPMiller
Sergeant

Post by RPMiller » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:19 pm

Looking very good!

Can you also giving an example of a Normal Damage Explosion and a Killing Damage Explosion both including a 1/2d6?

As a reminder on Hero system dice. Explosion in the Hero system means a literal explosion not the 'term' 'exploding dice' as used in other RPGs.

Explosion damage is calculated by rolling the full damage and then removing the highest die as you move away from the center of the explosion and based on the explosion effects 'drop off of damage'. So a typical explosion would look something like this:

[3 1/2d6EX2]: 6, 3, 4, 3
0": 16 STUN, 5 BODY
2": 10 STUN, 3 BODY
4": 6 STUN, 2 BODY
6": 3 STUN, 1 BODY

3 1/2d6EX2 is a 3 1/2d6 Explosion which fades at the rate of 1 die / 2".
The highest value is subtracted at each fade interval until the 0 die point is achieved (with the results at each fade interval listed in the output).