Arion Games

Share your favorite RPG-related and wargame-related links with the Battlegrounds community
Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Arion Games

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:28 pm

Have any of you seen the paper minis produed by Arion Games?

I've bought a few sets and they look good. As they are 3D model generated, I've signed up to their forums to see if they can be made into top down tokens.

Maybe some other people can voice an opinion too!

:)
MB

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:16 pm

Yeah, they have some great sets:
http://www.arion-games.com/minis/paper_minis.html

I could've sworn I'd written them before requesting top-down render packs, but now I can't find the email.

Getting a lot of people from the various VTT sites to write them is probably a very good idea. If they get a hundred or two requests, they might just do it, seeing as how they could produce them at very little cost and get a higher return-on-investment on their 3D model collection.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:38 pm

parkusuk wrote:Ok.....i will give it a try!

I am concious that other companies do produce fantasy tokens etc, and i don't really want to impinge on someone elses area, but i will do modern soldiers and modern civilian sets as a starter, and take it from there.

What sort of format would these need to be? I assume png/jpg etc, but what size and resolution would each figure need to be? Also, is it better to have a border? Square/round etc?

Give me some ideas, and help me get them right, and i will send you a comp copy of the first two sets :D

Graham
If you've a particaular style of token you'd like to see post below.

MB

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:07 pm

Thanks for taking the lead on this, MB.

I posted my reply here:
http://arion-games.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=71

A few shows of support from other interested potential customers wouldn't hurt, folks. :wink:
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:05 am

Replied ;-)

I wasn't originally planning to use top-down figures for my games because, despite their beauty, there simply isn't enough variety.

It just doesn't feel right to use the same "Swordsman" for 5 unique characters when the figure is so detailed that you can tell whether he brushed his teeth that morning.

However, if we can get more major contributors like Arion to pitch in, I'll certainly reconsider. ;-)

Torq
Captain

Post by Torq » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:28 am

I for one will keep plodding away in the hope of increasing the variery of top-downs available. I agree with Omnidon and so do my players. When figure 1 used as a baddy for the second time you here the groans and sarcastic exclamations around the table.
The internet, it'll never catch on.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:36 am

But doesn't that happen with real minis, as well?

But yeah, that's why I like to do color mods. If nothing else, a different shirt color or whatever gives a semblance of it being a different guy.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:38 am

heruca wrote:But doesn't that happen with real minis, as well?
Yes, but I don't use real minis. For many types of games, you don't need any visual aid beyond just pointing at spots on the ground when face-to-face.

Also, I've noticed that players tend to be much more imaginative and open-minded when face-to-face.
heruca wrote:But yeah, that's why I like to do color mods. If nothing else, a different shirt color or whatever gives a semblance of it being a different guy.
Yeah, I love creating variations of existing graphics, but that's not always easy, especially when the artists have already applied tons of effects like shadows.

A raw or unflattened version of the artwork would be ideal, but most artists don't like to provide those.

Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:22 am

A top down and portrait view previewing in the thread.

MB

Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:26 am

Some questions from Arion Games, that are thought I'd post before giving a "community" answer!
What sort of poses are usual? My minis are a mix of relaxed, combat, walking, formal etc. Are "action" poses more usual for counters?

As for size, that is the rendered size (portraits about 1000 x 1000 and tokens about 900 x 600). It is quicker to render small images, so is there a standard or maximum size in pixels?

Next, i have been doing a bit of research, and i have seen that some people prefer multiple poses of the same figure, and others consider multiples as a waste of time as they only ever use one of each per "character". Any thoughts? Obviously 5 poses of each greatly increases production time, and so the cost would have to be a bit higher...
MB

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:08 am

Speaking purely for myself, my preferences would be:
  • - A default pose of 'en garde', with any weapon and shield raised, a stable, wide stance and alert head position is good for most purposes.

- Additional poses of 'prone but still active' and 'unconscious/dead' would be very useful.

- 'Nice to have' poses would be climbing, swimming, sitting relaxing, sleeping, marching, standing on guard, attacking, cowering and flying (in that order of desirability).
Multiple poses are not needed, but for prone or otherwise 'special' conditions they would be very cool and could even be used to indicate 'surprised' status, etc.

Maximum useful size is 122 pixels times the size of the figure in cells in each direction. In practice any 'humanoid' might be enlarged by magic or used as a giant character, though, so 'size in cells' might be variable... 250 px square, say, should be quite adequate for most figures.
Balesir

Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:10 pm

Current examples:
Any comments?

MB

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:40 pm

They look great.

But I think he took the 256x256 pixel dimensions too literally, resulting in the cowboy with his arm outstretched being smaller than the first guy, even though both pics are the same size.

Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:39 am

Yeah, I'll let him know that the occasional pose can result in a larger size.

MB

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:57 am

Nice pix! Couple of (I hope) constructive suggestions in addition to the 'shrink to fit' comment above:
  • - The flesh seems a bit shiny, which is something I often notice in such images. A bit of 'matting down' would improve it, I think.
    - A more crouched/bent leg pose might seem more natural, IMO.
These are not major issues, though - they are shaping up nicely and I would be very pleased to use them for a western game. Actually, a 'Western Gunfight' scenario is a convention standard and might do very well for the next iCon!
Balesir

Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:39 pm

After the comments from the three boards, the latest versions of the tokens:
Comments?

MB

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:59 pm

Looks good, overall. Scaling looks consistent now. I think the shooting pose could be improved, though.

I would add a non-directional shadow to them, as in the sample figure I posted on Arion's forums, but perhaps not everyone wants shadows, so I can understand not including them.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:29 pm

heruca wrote:I would add a non-directional shadow to them, as in the sample figure I posted on Arion's forums, but perhaps not everyone wants shadows, so I can understand not including them.
I personally think that shadows should not be added. The software that these are used with could easily be developed to add shadows as a preference (directional or non directional.)

Removing the shadows, however, would be significantly more complicated.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:34 am

Full Bleed wrote:I personally think that shadows should not be added. The software that these are used with could easily be developed to add shadows as a preference (directional or non directional.)

Removing the shadows, however, would be significantly more complicated.
Agreed.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:39 am

Me, too! :oops:

Ideally I guess shadow and non-shadow versions would be included. I do like the look of shadows, but they do make modifying the figures very difficult because they are so hard to remove - especially when transparency is involved.

Maybe originals could be constructed with a 'shadow layer'?
Balesir

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:11 am

Balesir wrote:Maybe originals could be constructed with a 'shadow layer'?
Yeah. For people who use Photoshop or the like to add the final effects, there really is no reason not to provide the "Unflattened" version. (Layers still intact).

Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:00 pm

All comments from here, RPT and FUM were forwarded on, with the following response :)
Arion Games on Sat 6th Oct wrote:Hi,

Thanks for those comments. They are indeed positive! I am away for another 3 days, home for a couple and then have to move. Then i will start putting together the complete set which will probably take a couple of weeks.
MB

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:26 pm

Thanks for the update, MB.

Murgh Bpurn
Sergeant

Post by Murgh Bpurn » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:32 am

Samples can be seen here.

(sorry the image is the competition, but it does the job!)

MB

ariongames
Cannon Fodder

Post by ariongames » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:39 pm

Hi,

my name is Graham and i am from Arion Games, and i am pleased to say that the Western Counters are now available!

Sample images from the final set can be found here:

http://www.arion-games.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=74

and they are 20% off at YourGamesNow until the end of the month!

They will also be available from RPGNow, e23 and Fantasy Download

Enjoy (your help is appreciated!)

Graham