Thanks Heruca

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
Venger
General

Thanks Heruca

Post by Venger » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:23 am

I guess this would be the place to post something like this, since its more of a social thing...

*grins* Thanks for listening to us Heruca.

It HAS to be nerve wracking with so many requests, so many possibilities, unexpected bugs, deadlines, disappointments, little victories, maintaining this forum, answering ALL of the questions, keeping up with other forums, graphics work, and then not to mention your commitments in your personal life etc. etc.

You have to weed out the viable ideas from all the great ideas the community can come up with, as well as your own concepts and give us solid code, all for us to have a more enjoyable game.

You are doing GREAT and thanks for BRPG

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:09 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Gosh. Thanks, Venger. (Or is the proper response "you're welcome"?) :)

It does get a bit crazy and stressful at times, wearing so many hats and trying to do everything at once. But I really enjoy the entire process, and am learning a lot with this little venture.

My only real regret/disappointment is that, in creating BRPG, I thought I'd finally be able to game again with my real-life friends, who are now scattered across the US. That hasn't happened. Partly because I'm too busy to stop development and play games, but primarily because my real life friends are "too busy" with life, work, etc. In the year and a half or so that I've been at this, only one or two of my real-life friends have even bothered to check out this site or download the software for a quick peek. They seem to have time for playing NWN regularly, however. :?

On a more positive note, one of the best things about working on BRPG has been all the great new people I've met (virtually, that is). And I still have hope that I'll be able to game again in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks again for your post. It's nice to feel that the crazy hours I put into this are appreciated.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:59 am

heruca wrote:My only real regret/disappointment is that, in creating BRPG, I thought I'd finally be able to game again with my real-life friends, who are now scattered across the US. That hasn't happened. Partly because I'm too busy to stop development and play games, but primarily because my real life friends are "too busy" with life, work, etc. In the year and a half or so that I've been at this, only one or two of my real-life friends have even bothered to check out this site or download the software for a quick peek. They seem to have time for playing NWN regularly, however. :?
Well... please allow me to stand upon my soap-box and rant, unfettered for a few minutes...

Frankly, it sounds like you have some knucklehead friends like I do. ;) Guys that nearly worship the campaigns we've played in the past and are willing say on a consistent basis that they "want to play again" and "owe a lot to the game", but are just horrible at scheduling time to make playing possible again. I generally don't like ragging on "players" (ok, maybe that's not entirely true :twisted: ), but the reality is that, in most campaigns, "GMs" drive the games in such a way that players have no conception of the time, money, and effort that has been put into making the game a possibility. They sit back, like parasitic amoeba's, soaking up all that energy, and only feeding into it while the game is going... but, when it's not, and even when their thirst to play seems insatiable, they can't seem to manage their lives in such a way to make finding time to play a little easier.

As BRPG is being developed, particularly in these last two months, I've been sending out regular updates to my players about the potential status of our game. We have certain goals in mind that we'd like to have in working order (having a video conferencing solution, audio solution, and VTT are our priorities.) But just getting these guys to help me move the ball forward every week, even if it's only in 15-30 minute bite-size chunks, is such a chore.

So, while a VTT like BRPG will make the game possible with people being spread from Hawai'i, Maryland, Tennesee, and Florida... It still takes a monumental effort to manage it. It's almost like the players are underpaid Employees! That is, until the game starts. And then, even they are willing to admit that the underpaid, overworked Employee is none other than the GM.

It's almost like they are rich, well-intentioned individuals, who have gotten something they enjoy in life for free so often, that they really have no idea how to "pay for it" when it's not right in front of them.

So, Heruca, without launching a huge investigation, I'd put money on the fact that you were probably more often a GM and more often the organizer of games in days past as well. And regardless of the usability and brilliance of BRPG, the onus of "making it all happen" still lies largely on you.

It is, when it all comes right down to it, the relationship of creator to consumers... and the price we all spend in our respective roles. Consumers, in general, come to expect certain things to be free, and when asked to pay for those things, will usually kick and scream for a little while. The price players have to pay in adulthood is the effort of scheduling the games into their busy lives, and it's usually a significant price compared to the "free time" they used to dedicate to the game. And when it comes right down to it, my experience is that they are fairly inept at doing so, with some part of their minds resenting the new "cost" for what they used to get for nothing (or nearly so.)

I know that this is a very sweeping analysis of the situation and does not apply to every player (or GM for that matter.) And it's not exactly a fair reflection of what kind of friends they may be (I, for example, consider my particular players to be my "best" friends, some of whom I've known nearly 30 years!) However, I've seen this phenomena enough times, through campaigns that I've run in my childhood, college years, and in adulthood to recognize a certain pattern of behavior. ;)

And yet, despite it all, we creators do seem to keep coming back for more. Keep moving the ball forward. Keep creating.

So, in conclusion (and I believe a rant this long deserves an "in conclusion"), you probably needn't worry too much about the level of appreciation most of the users coming to this site right now feel for you and the potential of this project. I believe, that most of us are, in many ways, kindred spirits.

And that, I believe, is exactly why you don't know whether to merely offer thanks or graciously accept thanks for the open praise and recognition you do get. :)

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:47 am

And that, I believe, is exactly why you don't know whether to merely offer thanks or graciously accept thanks for the open praise and recognition you do get.
Could be because he probably more often hears griping and whining about this or that than actual appreciative remarks. heheh

I coded a database purchase order and inventory program for the Company I work for, it wasnt even my job description to do so, and for the longest time all i would hear were complains and whining, and nobody even gave me a word of thanks for the long hours, headaches and the final program they have been using for ten years, and sometimes, thats all that is needed just a word of appreciation.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:54 am

Venger wrote:Could be because he probably more often hears griping and whining about this or that than actual appreciative remarks.
Such is the sad lot of a programmer :roll:

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:33 am

I agree getting "a scheduled commitment" from players is tough. I have been hesitant buying this awesome product because I have yet to set the hook in my buddies of 20+ years. I do think GMs get the "pen and paper gaming" bug more than players but I will keep plugging at them. I must admit they had some interest in NWN and I squandered the opportunity with too much development time but that was a lesson learned.

Ohh well, keep up the great work Heruca. I enjoy watching Battlegrounds develop and look forward to using it in the future. Hopefully the near future. :D

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:40 pm

You better get BRPG Greytale, because we will be making art for it :P

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:09 pm

I am itching to. :D Can hardly wait to use it and do art for it.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:15 pm

Welcome, Greytale.

Nice to see you on here. :)
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tlichie
Captain

Post by Tlichie » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:32 pm

Definately thank you!

I've been mia here for some time...lots of stuff going on in my real life (like trying to get my writing to get me some money...I have one children's story making it's rounds to the publishers now). But I'm glad that battlegrounds is still here and still being developed!

Thank you :D
--Tlichie