Feedback Wanted: Mini Maps

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun May 07, 2006 12:54 am

drswoboda wrote:Again my point is being missed here.
Oh I didn't miss your point. I actually agree with you about zooming. ;-)
I was just nit-picking at your arguement. :twisted:

I too would like a scroll-wheel zoom and a more useful right-click.
Just because the program also caters to Mac and laptop users doesn't mean the PC users shouldn't be able to use all their perks :-P

I've always been saying we will need an extensive preferences screen. One thing that should be highly customizable is shortcuts. You should be able to set which key does what, including mouse buttons. (My mouse has 5 buttons and a scroll wheel, and it's not even a gaming mouse).

But I'm patient, I'm waiting for heruca to hammer things out the way he feels best before I gripe too much.
drswoboda wrote:the designers
Designers? heruca is the only programmer for BRPG (amazing isn't it?).

I agree that the product has its problems, but I'm impressed both in what it has already, being only a beta, as well as the responsiveness and dedication of the programmer.
It already boasts several features that I have been unable to find elsewhere, and many more are planned.

drswoboda
Sergeant

Post by drswoboda » Sun May 07, 2006 1:27 am

It already boasts several features that I have been unable to find elsewhere, and many more are planned.
Agreed.

I'm just using the feedback forum to feedback. There is no time like before v1 to get in all the plus/minus issues. Once the road is paved with concrete, they seldom come back and make it asphalt the next spring ;)

-David

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 07, 2006 2:40 am

GenCon was once held at the Playboy club?! :shock:

Man, I guess it's been going downhill ever since, then. :)

Soon, you'll be able to scroll the map my mousing over the edges of the screen.
drswoboda wrote:What games are you playing if your not playing D&D type stuff?
I play GURPS, where 1 hex = 3 feet.

If you must have zooming right away, I suggest you use MapTool until BRPG has a zoom feature. Since MapTool is free, you've really got nothing to lose.

The first distance penalty for a bow shot in D&D is at 110 feet? How unrealistic is that?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Post by Guest » Sun May 07, 2006 2:44 pm

How unrealistic is that?
Its about as realistic as me being a wizard shooting magic missiles at a hill giant :lol:

Crow
Soldier

Post by Crow » Sun May 07, 2006 8:34 pm

I'm new to posting on the forums, but I'm in the market for a VT and I've been trying out the various different products on the market. Right now BG and RPTools are the two main contenders for me. I wanted to add my two cents in regarding the zooming issue. I was testing both RPTools and BG today and having the option to zoom out and look at all of the map (even though its only 200x200) is a very important option. For the GM to be able to see the full view and to be able to see where your tokens are at in a glance is very important. Some of my battles get fairly large and the ability to zoom out to a greater degree will allow me to keep battles coordinated and flowing, rather than trying to figure out where they are and where they are going. This isn't a matter of having a second scaled out map for reference, but is a matter of running an encounter efficiently without telling my players "Hold on I have to find this character." Please add this feature.

I have a few other wants; mouse support, bigger maps, etc, but so far I really like the other features of the program. The token tool is very nice and I love the idea of the base and keeping with the feel of regular mini's. My players are suspicious of using technology to help play and I think this will help ease them into using a VT. Keep up the good work and here's hoping the first release will be out soon.

thelevitator
Captain

Post by thelevitator » Sun May 07, 2006 9:01 pm

I've got to admit, my dream VT would work like my GPS for my Ipaq. It zooms out to like 30 miles down to 100'. A single world map, that could zoom right down to the cellar of the local tavern in some isolated little town, THAT is my dream!! :mrgreen: While that might not be around the immediate corner, It would be great to have more control not only of how much area one map contains, but also how much of it I can look at at one time. Zooming out speeds up the process of moving out of sight NPC's and creatures for the DM.

It seems like this program has already evolved 20-fold from its original design and it hasn't even been released yet. I haven't seen too many programs out there where so much input from potential users makes it into the final design. If this thing goes the way of DM Genie, I can't imagine anyone NOT wanting it. DM Genie was a great program when it came out. But now it is nearly perfect, as Janik has taken this same approach of working with users to give them the features they want. It's obvious that Heruca has the same intentions and right now just seems to be balancing what to put in at the last minute without further slowing the 1.0 release. If upgrading BG is going to be as easy as DM Genie, I'm very much looking forward to it!! :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 08, 2006 12:30 am

Lev, (mind if I call you that?)

Have you seen the ViewingDale software? It handles zooming the way you describe.

Funnily enough, BRPG used to have zooming, back when it was a GURPS-only program. I took it out, but a lot of the groundwork is still there for when I'm ready to add it back in. However, it didn't draw units when zoomed out, it just showed the whole map at once.

DM Genie's forums got slightly wiped recently, and all my posts vanished. I'll try to re-establish contact there once BRPG 1.0 is out.

As for upgrading, I'm looking into splitting the code from the rest of the app, so that when some bug fixes become available, you don't have to do any more humongous downloads. Just download the upgraded code, and off you go.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 08, 2006 12:44 am

Welcome, Crow.

I intend to add the option to auto-center on any unit selected in the Turn Sequencer or in the Unit Manager. That should help finding a particular unit on a crowded battlefield, even more than zoom will. But yes, I do plan to add zooming, too.

thelevitator
Captain

Post by thelevitator » Mon May 08, 2006 2:30 am

"Lev" has become my nickname on several other forums, so I don't mind at all. I know it's easier to reply that way. :lol:

I'm not familiar with ViewingDale. I may take a look at it just to educate myself a bit, but I'm 99.9% BG is going to work great for me. And as it develops, I'll grow along with it. I wouldn't have a problem if I could get my players to want to climb into dungeons though! :? For some reason, they really like outside encounters. In fact the main group has an elven ranger, a human barbarian, a human druid, and an elven rogue, so they are better suited for outdoor adventuring. You'd be surprised how often I have encounters with people firing bows from over 100'. Ambushes seem to be a popular use for long range attacks.

thelevitator
Captain

Post by thelevitator » Mon May 08, 2006 2:54 am

I just mentioned my GPS interface because I imagined a smooth transition from large area maps like a town that allowed you to zoom down in to the inside of the local pub. It would be great to have entire towns created this way with layers to allow for multiple floors and roofs for the large scale view. I'm neither an artist nor a programmer, so I have no idea if or when this type of mapping may be available. I know that if I wanted to, I could do something similar with Corel Draw, but I wouldn't be able to use it in the same way a progam like BG works. For me, I would even find the mini-map useful for tracking things outside of my immediate viewing area. I would personally rather wait on the zooming and scaling for now and get a final release in my hands. I can always update later as those things become available. :D

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon May 08, 2006 3:50 am

Ah, layers ;-) A nice dream, but that won't be added for a long long while I'm guessing.

The ability to have a functional large map is definitely important though, since when I go to the bother of making a map, it's usually going to be big...
but I said that already 8)

thelevitator
Captain

Post by thelevitator » Mon May 08, 2006 9:47 am

I was pretty tired when I posted last night. I thought I should mention that I was speaking in general terms in regards to the GPS-style zooming with multiple layers thing. When I wonder about that kind of thing being available someday, I mean it in a general way, not specifically with BG. I read my post this morning and I kinda sound like I'm complaining. Quite the opposite. I feel lucky that there are those out there that have the ability to create these kinds of tools for guys like me. I can only speculate about what's possible or not with programs like these, and it's apparent that there are many differernt types of gaming styles out there.

All I can say is that I'm really excited about BG's release as it seems to incorporate more of the things I want in this kind of program than anything else I've looked at, in the cleanest interface. :D

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon May 08, 2006 7:56 pm

Ha yeah well any feedback can sound like complaining if you read it the wrong way.

But it's the fact that heruca listens to his feedback that, above all else, made me choose BRPG.

heruca is doing a great job of making us feel like friends, not anonymous customers. Just like the good ol' days before mass production. :roll:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 08, 2006 8:31 pm

Thanks for the kind words and votes of confidence. :D

And Lev, your post didn't read like a complaint, so don't worry. And even if it had been a complaint, it's still feedback, and I welcome it.

Blakey
Soldier

Pros and Cons

Post by Blakey » Tue May 09, 2006 6:36 am

Here's my feeling on BG so far, given that its not even released yet and I have only got my hands on a beta.

Pros:

1. The programer. He's here, he's listening, he's responsive. This is easily the best point about this program. If it doesn't do what you want there is a good chance you can ask for it and, eventually, it will do. That gives me great confidence in the potential for this program.
2. The graphics. Okay, possibly because it is using Dundjinni as a base for maps, but the support for PNG objects to be added on top of the base map as you play means the level of graphics will only stay high.
3. The interface. It looks clean and uncluttered and easy to use.
4. FoW and Lightsources. No other VT that I have seen does as good a job as this. Once it is possible to add masks which completely block all light and line of sight (i.e. walls) then this will be awesome.

Cons:

1. Lack of zooming. We've had this discussion already - and its going to be in a later version.
2. No multiple monitor support. Yet. Again, its coming. I use a projector and my tablet, I don't want to run two pieces of software, just one which will also display a players view on the projector.
3. Map size. This is pretty serious to me as I don't use Dundjinni to generate my maps so mine are usually bigger than BG can handle. Again, I hope this will be addressed in future releases.

Overall:

At present I think BG can't do what I need it to. But it has by far the most potential of all the VT programs I've looked at.

Looking forward to seeing what this system can do in the future.

Cheers
Blakey

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Re:

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:19 am

heruca wrote:Lev, (mind if I call you that?)
Funnily enough, BRPG used to have zooming, back when it was a GURPS-only program. I took it out, but a lot of the groundwork is still there for when I'm ready to add it back in. However, it didn't draw units when zoomed out, it just showed the whole map at once.
reading through some old threads on scale and mapping... I found this.
I'm curious why you felt you had to take this out? For me, this would be a nice bonus to have a birds eye view of t he map and then zoom down to a section of the battle. As you say... not drawing the units is not such a show stopper if one could see the whole of the battle front.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Re:

Post by Omnidon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:05 am

Dark Lord Galen wrote:reading through some old threads on scale and mapping... I found this.
I'm curious why you felt you had to take this out? For me, this would be a nice bonus to have a birds eye view of t he map and then zoom down to a section of the battle. As you say... not drawing the units is not such a show stopper if one could see the whole of the battle front.
Wow, careful with that necromancy, this thread is 8 years old! :P

BRPG & BGE both have a zoom feature that lets you zoom out to 20% or in to 200% and have had that feature for a long time. The information in this thread is no doubt extremely obsolete.

It's true that BRPG does not yet have a minimap feature (and likely won't get one until either v2 or when flash integration is added), but the post you're quoting seems to be speaking more about the zoom feature which was later added to BRPG.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:26 pm

Omnidon wrote:
Dark Lord Galen wrote:reading through some old threads on scale and mapping... I found this.
Wow, careful with that necromancy, this thread is 8 years old! :P

BRPG & BGE both have a zoom feature that lets you zoom out to 20% or in to 200% and have had that feature for a long time. The information in this thread is no doubt extremely obsolete.

It's true that BRPG does not yet have a minimap feature (and likely won't get one until either v2 or when flash integration is added), but the post you're quoting seems to be speaking more about the zoom feature which was later added to BRPG.
ROFL... yea told you I was digging :p
And I agree that the zoom 20% to 200% does exist, but was realy inquiring (and should have clarified) Whole map meaning not limited to say the 40x40 for FOW and the Hex gridding is how I interpreted it. This would allow a GM to have a whole province map at whatever scale, and "zoom down" to a hommlet in the provence that FOW and the Grid would take over from... if that makes sense... This would allow for an area map and an encounter map to be the same map at differing resolutions without having to utilize the "views" (which is how Im working around it now). This would (as it works now require toggling FOW and the grid off/on as well.

Lastly (concerning onld threading.... hehehe.. you at one point maintained a list of "future" options and ideas (which I think is good, keeps people like me from creating thos animate dead threads.. hehe) but other than the "flash" (which I think is a great idea) the list doesnt seem current as to progressing the idea, or shelfing them.

My appologies for the "grave robbing" heheh but lots of good info on the evolution of BG stuff there.... Just seems (and certainly not intended as a slight) that some things have been pushed aside on forgotten threads and not -re-visited or resolved. I realize there is a finate amount of resources and time. So as they say in my part of the world "Ya'll keep up the good work"!

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:56 pm

Dark Lord Galen wrote:Lastly (concerning onld threading.... hehehe.. you at one point maintained a list of "future" options and ideas (which I think is good, keeps people like me from creating thos animate dead threads.. hehe) but other than the "flash" (which I think is a great idea) the list doesnt seem current as to progressing the idea, or shelfing them.

My appologies for the "grave robbing" heheh but lots of good info on the evolution of BG stuff there.... Just seems (and certainly not intended as a slight) that some things have been pushed aside on forgotten threads and not -re-visited or resolved.
It's not so much that things have been forgotten. Yes, it's true that I haven't updated the suggestion summary in ages, but that's mainly because BRPG seems to be pretty much feature-locked at the moment. Most of the important updates to BRPG could only be added with either a massive rewrite (I.E. BRPG v2) or with the addition of Flash integration.
If heruca announced that he was starting work on v2 or if he added Flash integration, then I would certainly update the suggestion summary, but there doesn't seem to be much point to it at the moment.
Dark Lord Galen wrote:I agree that the zoom 20% to 200% does exist, but was realy inquiring (and should have clarified) Whole map meaning not limited to say the 40x40 for FOW and the Hex gridding is how I interpreted it. This would allow a GM to have a whole province map at whatever scale, and "zoom down" to a hommlet in the provence that FOW and the Grid would take over from... if that makes sense... This would allow for an area map and an encounter map to be the same map at differing resolutions without having to utilize the "views" (which is how Im working around it now). This would (as it works now require toggling FOW and the grid off/on as well.
It sounds like you are asking for an "overall map" or "world map" view, which is something I intended to add via Flash integration and did mention somewhere. :P
That feature is more than just a minimap, since it uses more than just the current map image. Back in the early days of BRPG I strongly encouraged heruca to add the capability to open several maps at once in tabs, which also would've helped achieve what you wanted, but that too got pushed back to BRPG v2.

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Re: Feedback Wanted: Mini Maps

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:35 am

You are spot on for both responses...
And I agree tabs may have been a good approach.
Guess we can add that to the flash list
:D