PDF maps

yax51
Cannon Fodder

PDF maps

Post by yax51 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:29 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to import a PDF map from Pathfinder into BRPG. I've been able to load it into the client by converting it into a JPG, but the grid on the map doesn't line up with the grid on BRPG. I took the number of squares horizontally and vertically and multiplied by 61 as per this post: http://battlegroundsgames.com/forums/vi ... =pdf#p1924 but it still doesn't line up. I don't mind not showing the BRPG grid, but the tokens won't be placed properly and that could prove to be problematic. It lines up fine in places but overall it get horribly offset. Any ideas?

Here is a screen shot of the issue I'm having.

heruca
Developer

Re: PDF maps

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:19 pm

It is possible that you have to use horizontal and/or vertical offsets to get the map to align with the grid in BRPG.

Email me the map and I will make a tutorial video of the correct sizing procedure, as this could be of benefit to many users.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

yax51
Cannon Fodder

Post by yax51 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:16 pm

Cool, I've sent it to admin@battlegroundsgames.com. I hope that was the right address. Thanks for looking into this!

yax51
Cannon Fodder

Post by yax51 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:55 pm

VICTORY!!!!

I was able to do it successfully! I had to reduce to PDF map width to 40 tiles. Apparently in that particular map, it was 43 tiles across, thus making the distortion that we saw. So removing 3 rows of tiles, 1 from one end, and 2 from another. I was able to multiply the 40 tiles by 61 (pixels per BRPG tile), and resize the PNG image accordingly (kept aspect ratio) and it aligned with only minor tweaking.

So for a 40x33 tile map, resize the width to 40 X 61= 2440. Maintain aspect ratio, and you should be good.

I don't know if there is a way to increase the BRPG map size beyond 40, but this worked great for me.

*edit* Here's a screen shot of the correctly aligned map.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:13 pm

Glad you figured it out.

40 x 40 is the maximum if you want to use the Fog of War feature. For other cases, you can place the remainder of the map as an object beside the map area and set it to Tile, to effectively extend the map area.

I've moved this topic from the BGE forum, since it was misplaced.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.