Campaign cartographer or other

PatMont
Soldier

Campaign cartographer or other

Post by PatMont » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:44 am

I will like to use my maps from CC3/DD3/CD3 in BRPG. How we can make it possible?

Thank you

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:41 am

Here is a recent thread on the topic, in case it helps.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

PatMont
Soldier

Post by PatMont » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:01 pm

Didint help Heruca, In Nutshell its saying "If you already use a mapping program like Dundjinni or Campaign Cartographer, you can save time and money by not having to print out your large, full-color battlemaps"

I just want to convert Campaing cartographer maps files to be able to use with BRPG if possible. Right now it can not see it.

Thanks

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:40 pm

What image format are you exporting from CC? If it is a JPG, use ".jpg", not ".jpeg".
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:01 am

Just to be clear, BRPG only loads maps in bitmap format. It does not understand CC's or Dundjinni's native file formats, so you can't import them directly. Instead, you must export a bitmap from your mapping program and place it in BRPG's "Maps" folder for it to be accessible to BRPG.

PatMont
Soldier

Campaign cartographer

Post by PatMont » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:36 am

Heruca, you have right we have to convert files. It works. The bad thing is : the quality of DD3 (dungeon designer/ .fcw files) is worse with the .jpg conversion.

To create dungeon wall and floor (only) is very faster with DD3 then Dundjinni and last BRPG. I created same rooms with the three software to try.

My question : does it exist artwork for :
Dungeon / building : Doors, tables, others indoors furniture (shelves) ...
Outside : Rivers, more kind of ponds ...

Thanks

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:07 pm

I'm not sure why you say the quality is worse after saving a map into a bitmap format. Are you sure you didn't simply specify a resolution which was too low? Those tools are designed for creating printable maps, after all, so they definitely support hi-resolution output.

As for where to find artwork for use in BRPG, see this stickied forum thread.

Devilfire
Soldier

Post by Devilfire » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:18 pm

Hello Pat and heruca,

Pat, I am using the same cc3/cd3/dd3. I have noticed that evening when using Windows picture viewer, to view the exported jpg it is grainy and lower quality, my fix was to save the map as a 24 bit color bitmap, then if you really want it in jpg, use paint to saveas as, the quality was much better this way then just using cc3 to save to jpg. not sure why.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks for the tip, Devilfire.

PatMont
Soldier

Campaign cartographer

Post by PatMont » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:38 am

Thanks you Devilfire. I tried it but i think i didnt do it correctly cause it is the same lower quality. Lets see if i understand.

1) Use CC3 and save as on BITMAP 24 bit
2) open the files with Paint and save as on JPEG
3) copy it in BRPG map folder

Are they the steps?

P.S. I sent a mail directly to Campaign cartographer and the answer was like Heruca save as JPEG (or other conversion files). But when you look some maps on sell on the web many use CC3 / DD3 and the quality is awesome.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:59 am

There must be some place in the CC3 image export interface where you get to specify the pixel dimensions of the resulting bitmap, I would think. Perhaps you are using default settings that are way too low? Just a guess.

Devilfire
Soldier

Post by Devilfire » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Attached is a copy of my one map that i use (downsized for better upload and viewability on the site). It doesn't have a whole lot of detail in it, however when i used CC3 to save as jpg all of the numbers and coastlines were blurry, so i saved as bmp and then used paint to convert.

When I get home and my kids go to bed, I will try to get on my computer and make a step by step with details of the exact settings i used.

If you would like, can you email me a copy of you saved jpg file and if you are willing your CC3 file and I will see if I can toy with it a bit.

Also, I ran across some conflicts with grid matching, when i get some free time, i intend on testing some things and then attempt to write up, somewhat of a tutorial for conversion and map settings for CC3 to BRPG. That is if i am able to figure it out.
Attachments
Thandalar1.jpg
Thandalar1.jpg (556.98 KiB) Viewed 13303 times

PatMont
Soldier

Campaign cartographer

Post by PatMont » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks again both of you. There are two test. When you zoom in (and use with BRPG) the quality is not as good as the ones already existing on web.

P.S. I have copied all the cliparts files from DD3 in BRPG folders so i can use them with very good quality. Though it takes time to create complex dungeon like DD3 when is time to use rooms and walls that why i want to use my DD3. And of course CC3 / CD3 as well.

Thank you again Devilfire / Heruca, i appreciate.
Attachments
Prison 3.JPG
Prison 3.JPG (177.62 KiB) Viewed 13294 times
New world.JPG
New world.JPG (224.72 KiB) Viewed 13301 times

Devilfire
Soldier

Post by Devilfire » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:20 am

Here is a quick replica of your jail map that i made
Attachments
Jail).JPG
Saved Directly to JPG
Jail).JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 13285 times
battlegroundjailview.jpg
The look in Battleground with grid aligned
battlegroundjailview.jpg (225.81 KiB) Viewed 13284 times
Jail.jpg
Just the JPG file
Jail.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 13286 times

Devilfire
Soldier

Post by Devilfire » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:18 am

Okay, Gonna Attempt to explain what I did. Hopefully it is clear.

Map Setup
~New Map > Dungeon > Predefined Template > I used 200'x160'
~Left all Default Settings except Grid Settings ( I set to 5'Grid, 2 Snap)
~ Drew everything using standard DD3 Fills and Symbols

Save To BMP Then Convert
~Saveas > Select bmp File Type > Click Options (Here is the Settings I used)
-Under Maximum Image Dimensions
*Take desired grid size and multiply by 122 (not to exceed 4000[Per Battleground RPG Manual]) (I.E. This Map is 20w X 16h [So use 2440w X 1952h])
- Under Options
* Click Antialias On (I Left at 0%)
* Leave Restrict to Map Border On
- Under True Image Dimensions (Same as Maximum Image Dimensions)
- Under BMP Clipboard (Select 24-Bit)
- Click Okay
~ Name File and Location and Click Save
~ Open File up in paint and saveas jpg

Save Directly to JPG
~ Use same info as above except the following
- Obviously Use jpg File type
-Click Options (Use same setting as mentioned above)
* Difference instead of bmp clipboard, Under jpg set to 100 and click progressive, click okay and save

PatMont
Soldier

Campaign Cartographer

Post by PatMont » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:43 pm

Devilfire it works perfectly, Very big thanks. :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:45 am

Thanks for helping out, DevilFire. Much appreciated.

Devilfire
Soldier

Post by Devilfire » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:59 am

Patmont, no problem. Which way did you use bmp or jpg? Also please post a final product shot.

Heruca, it was my pleasure, also feel free to reuse the info if you see fit. Also if you want you can remove my posts with large pics or large file size attachments to free up space and make the topic, easier reading.