Game Edition Client Getting Script Errors

Dangazzm
Soldier

Game Edition Client Getting Script Errors

Post by Dangazzm » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Alright so I host with no problems but when I asked my friend to hop in it asks me if I wanna let him take my free slot I say yes then randomly this pops up.

List Expected for handler #getPos Script Error. Continue?

And he cannot move anything... in fact trying to manipulate anything causes this error.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:11 pm

Is your player logging in with your username, by any chance? BGE expects each user to have a unique name.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:21 pm

I'll need more details, as I am unable to duplicate your error. Are you attempting to use an existing digital game conversion? A game file of your own creation?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dangazzm
Soldier

Post by Dangazzm » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:04 pm

Sorry for the delay... no I am using Aliens.

He was jokingly using the username: "The Boss" Sans quote

Mine was simply: Dan

ANY other info I can give you... even a join me so you can see it in action I CAN DO just tell me.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:48 pm

Bug confirmed, and fixed for BGE v1.1, which is due out soon.

The bug likely only manifests for a connecting player when units use portraits, or perhaps multiple portraits.

Kinda funny that the bug was discovered while using the Aliens game conversion...

"Is this gonna be a stand-up fight, sir, or just another bug hunt?"

Dangazzm
Soldier

Post by Dangazzm » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Ok so finally got time to play with my buddy on Zombie plague. Same issue. Still does it right when he mouses over something with a portrait.

heyhogan
Sergeant

#getPos

Post by heyhogan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 am

I am bumping into this problem as well. I loaded BGE 1.3 on a laptop so I could test my game between my host computer (desktop) and the laptop (player 1). Connection goes OK, maps comes up, but if the player (named LAPTOP) tries to touch any tokens, the error comes up.

The tokens do have portraits, or are set to "display token as portrait".

One one audio file attached.

heyhogan
Sergeant

Script error

Post by heyhogan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:37 am

I am quite sure it has to do with the Portriats. I made another game and turned off all portraits and it works fine now.

I also wanted to test "SEND Audio". This did not appear to work. I am going to search to see if another thread talks about his.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:56 pm

Does the portrait bug persist if you remove the unit from the turn sequencer?

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:39 pm

Think I might have run into this a few weeks ago too. I found that the error cleared if I set the token owner to "everyone" then tried to join. Might want to check and see what the owner setting is.

heyhogan
Sergeant

Portrait bug

Post by heyhogan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:16 am

I did not have anything in turn sequencer yet. Double-check and built a scot3.bge file. See attached hyperlink for download.

https://www.box.com/s/yvbbuesy3dxp7hhcxj9n

Here is link to media file. I had one music track and one FX. Note: client does not hear music.

https://www.box.com/s/gzjlackt6xt0r8h45tvy

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:06 pm

heyhogan, I just tested your file using two clients on the same PC, and I got no errors. I was testing using BGE v1.4, but I doubt that had anything to do with it. Also, I made sure to import the media bundle on the connecting client prior to joining the host client's session.

What version of BGE are you using? v1.3? Same question for rab46.

heyhogan
Sergeant

My version

Post by heyhogan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:24 am

I am using version 1.3. My tests are done with two machines as this provides me a good way to evaluate what a remote user will see. My Desktop (HOST) is running Windows 7 Enterprise N SP1, AMD Dual core Processor 58000 with 4GB of Ram (running 32-bit). Plenty of disk space.

The GUEST is an IBM laptop W510 runnig the same BG version 1.3. Windows 7. 8GB of ram. Let me know if there are any other files I can post that might help id this problem.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:45 am

Did you import the media bundle on the connecting client prior to logging in?

Could you post a screenshot of the second Preferences screen on that client?

I'd like to fix this bug before releasing BGE v1.4.

heyhogan
Sergeant

Here are screen shots

Post by heyhogan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Yes, I did download the media bundle 1st, but just to be sure I did it again and attached the screenshot. Also included a screenshot of the pref page 2 - and yes portraits was checked. When I uncheck it, the error (and portraits) no long appear. I also tested sending sound, but that caused the HOST to lock up (see screen-shot). I rebooted both machines, made sure portraits were off on both in prefs, and tested again. This time I sent audio with no problems (GREAT!!!) I still miss portraits as I plan to use them for a card game. However, it is now working in this configuration.
Attachments
Host-Died when sending audio.png
Host died on 1st attempt to send audio, but we had errors that might have de-stablized host app. Reboot and send again OK.
Host-Died when sending audio.png (477.85 KiB) Viewed 10571 times
BG-Error.png
The client error screen
BG-Error.png (1.37 MiB) Viewed 10569 times
BG-Import done.png
Import screen. No assets to pull in since this has been done.
BG-Import done.png (13.24 KiB) Viewed 10568 times
BGPrefs2.png
Here is prefs - when error shows up - showing portraits on
BGPrefs2.png (110.5 KiB) Viewed 10565 times

heyhogan
Sergeant

Owner Setting info

Post by heyhogan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:04 pm

The owner was set to HOST. I did try changing just this to see if the problem would go away and it did not. I needed to go to prefs page 2 and turn off display of portraits to get past issue.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:41 pm

I believe you can also avoid the error by turning on "Enable display of Portraits" and turning off "Players can see opponent's portraits".

In any case, this bug is now fixed for BGE v1.4.

heyhogan
Sergeant

Fantastic!

Post by heyhogan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:43 pm

Glad to hear this is fixed. I still a newbie, and there is a lot to learn here, but I can tell a lot of though has been put into the various features. Thanks for your help!