[WIP] - Dungeon Run

Find or advertise games. Show us how you use BRPG and/or BGE!

Feel free to post screenshots!
Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:59 pm

Added the Hero Cards.... Also implemented the multi-token overlay thing for changing the numbers. I have only played the game a few times but I think that values of 9 is all I need. If not I can easily add more o these tokens as I have all the raw source files in psd still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiSj9r4qy0I

So, um... what have I got left to do?

1) The Player Icons Themselves
2) The Monster Icons - I am thinking of using Icons for the Board and having the Monster cards as Portraits when you mouse over, just not sure how to do wounds for the monsters if I do it that way
3) Player Area table - I want to make a nice GFX for the player area, so the Hero Card and the trophies and stuff are not just sitting on black
3) Change the "table" to something.. I was hoping that I could put a image into every cell of the grid, for as the board is modular it is hard to predict how large it will be. Still I was thinking maybe some kind of rocky texture or something that would looks neat and match the very red look of the dungeon tiles.
4) Work out the Alt+Dice Stuff

Hmm I think that might be it.... might think of more latter... but anyway.. seams the project is coming along!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Looking good. Very good.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:22 am

can you set 1 token in a multi-token thing to be always on top and another to always be on bottom?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:35 am

Nope. But you can move a unit to top or bottom with a hotkey.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:39 am

Is it possible to make cards a multi Token Item.. beyond the card itself.. this is what I was thinking...

1) a Card is a Monster
2) So it is in the deck, with its own card back (mouse over shows card back)
3) I draw it and see the monster card (mouse over shows monster card)
4) I then use > to move up 1 token and it is now a monster chitz that can go on the game board (Mouse over still shows monster card
5) I then use the > to move up 1 token to add dmg markers to the chitz.
6) When killed off cycle it to monster card to place in player trophy pile, or discard deck, or bottom of monster deck.

I do not think this is possible, so I made it 2 objects... but it would be cool if you could do this. All it would need would be to allow the "cards" to have more then 2 layers to the token.. so make layer 1 always the card and layer 2 always the back. Then I think you also need to be able to set "Portrait" in the unit options or something, so you can set it so it uses "current tile" for the card and the card back, but also uses a set tile for the rest of the tokens.

I think this would be a cool feature as it would cut down on various components for the same thing. Drawing a monster token is a VERY common board game doohickey... this will allow you to have a single object that is the card, the monster chitz for the board and in case of chitz that only track wounds (witch is most common) you could also have all the varients for the wound on it as well.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:44 am

I don't think that is currently possible, since BGE only considers 2-token components to be cards, for purposes of certain commands such as Draw and Discard.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:49 am

heruca wrote:I don't think that is currently possible, since BGE only considers 2-token components to be cards, for purposes of certain commands such as Draw and Discard.
yea, but I think it wouldn't be to hard to add the source to know that token 1 is always the card, token 2 is always the back.. not matter how many tokens there are, and then have a tick box to define if it IS a card or not... - just a suggestion. Oh you also need to set it so it uses the card back for when on the deck, and uses the card itself as the portrait for all other levels.

Yea, this could possibly be a feature request... I think it would be pretty cool, and also remove the need for multiple objects to represent a single thing.

At the moment in this game, you need to ..

1) Draw the card
2) Place a separate chit on the board.
3) Put the card somewhere safe
4) Kill monster, backspace the chit and then put the card in the player trofy area.

---------- ------------- ---------- ------------- ---------- ------------- ----------

Also...

When I was doing the hero cards I was thinking .. is there a "group" option. Say if I have a monster with more than just 1 tractable stat, say Wounds and Mana for example. This means the chit for the monster needs to have at least to objects. As there are 2 independent incremental numbers to go p and down.

I know there is drag select, but is there an option to group these together so they act like a single object in the game world, prefrably with a new "global" centre point for rotation. For at the moment stacked chitz, even drag selected will rotate around their local axis, meaning that monsters that require positional facing you have to rotate the chitz, then all the counters on it separately.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:03 am

Tragic wrote:When I was doing the hero cards I was thinking .. is there a "group" option. Say if I have a monster with more than just 1 tractable stat, say Wounds and Mana for example. This means the chit for the monster needs to have at least to objects. As there are 2 independent incremental numbers to go p and down.

I know there is drag select, but is there an option to group these together so they act like a single object in the game world, prefrably with a new "global" centre point for rotation. For at the moment stacked chitz, even drag selected will rotate around their local axis, meaning that monsters that require positional facing you have to rotate the chitz, then all the counters on it separately.
You should read up on the "Group" and "Anchor" commands. But note that those features are a bit buggy (consider them a "work in progress").

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:11 pm

Added the Monster Tiles... They work like this...

You draw the card, then the host loads a "deployment file" for that card's token and places it on the game board, and then places the original card in the discard pile.

You then play

As the monster take dmg you increase the wound counter by using the <,> keys to change the token image. Note the mouse over portrait thing is the card itself so you can still read the card information.

When you get to the last point of damage, the token changes into the card itself, the player can take this and place it in his trophy pile in his section of the board near his items and heroes.

-------- - -- ---------- -------- - -- ---------- -------- - -- ----------

1) Changes for final version... I am already pretty sure I will make these tokens larger, most likely 222 wide.

2) I think I might add a drop shadow, to lift it off the tile gfx a bit. I didn'[t do this at first as each token needs a png with transparency then so it could eat up ram and slow the game down I guess. The other option is if the GROUP function works I can make a single png for the drop shadow, and place it UNDER every monster token, and then group them. This will look the same and only use a single png for all the tokens.. but not sure if that will work.

Anyway.. weekend is over.. I think I got though a lot of this.. See ya next weekend!

(dose anyone hang out on this forum?!! :P)

http://youtu.be/EhcBPSqfFPc

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:33 pm

The shadow PNG thing might work (even despite the bug with the Group/Anchor features), if you make it such that it can share the same centerpoint as the tokens it will be used with.

Keep in mind that if these tokens ever stack together, the nice soft shadow will quickly become solid black.

I originally had soft edge shadows on the mini bases, but I eventually re-did them without the shadow because I hated how they looked stacked together.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:54 pm

And no, not many people hang out on these forums, and if they do, they do so silently.

I initially had high hopes of a strong user community forming around these products, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Ironically, the forums were much more active when the VT was new and had far less features.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:55 pm

heruca wrote:Keep in mind that if these tokens ever stack together, the nice soft shadow will quickly become solid black.

I originally had soft edge shadows on the mini bases, but I eventually re-did them without the shadow because I hated how they looked stacked together.
Yea, I was worried about this as well, witch is why they do not have any... . . but I need to do something to lift the tile of the background. I'll try a few options

1) A hard Edge drop shadow with no transparency
2) Using the group functions to have 2 multi image deployments to make a single token. One is the thing you see in the video the other is the drop shadow, witch you can use <,> to turn on or off.
3) A semi-transparent black image that gose under the tile to darken the game board under it.
4) Redesign the tile so no drop shadopw is needed, most likly using a "mario block" type look.. maybe?

heruca wrote:And no, not many people hang out on these forums, and if they do, they do so silently.

I initially had high hopes of a strong user community forming around these products, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Ironically, the forums were much more active when the VT was new and had far less features.
That must be depressing for you :( Oh well. I'm here at least. I am a serial youtuber, once I get my game running I'll pimp your app out a bit!

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:02 am

heruca wrote:And no, not many people hang out on these forums, and if they do, they do so silently.

True ... I visit regularly, but do not post something each time I do :wink:

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:55 pm

I decided to make the Monster Icon larger and also added a bevel to lift it off the mat, there is also a small grey outline as well as a hard edge drop shadow (no opacity, so there should be no build up when stacked)

I may have to drop its size again though, after I do the Player Token

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:56 pm

what exactly is teh fractional divisions in teh game board settings for the grid?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:31 pm

That's for when your gameboard/grid needs to be sized such that it's not a perfectly round number of cells.

For example, some game might use a board that is 20.5 hexes by 16.3 hexes. It's a rare thing, but this level of precision is occasionally needed.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:57 am

*yawn* Flash extensions... *goes back to sleep*

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:06 am

Omnidon wrote:
*yawn* Flash extensions... *goes back to sleep*
what dose that mean?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:31 pm

He's referring to this (Omnidon's pet feature request, which I can never seem to get around to implementing).

cyberunner8
Captain

Post by cyberunner8 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:12 pm

np
Last edited by cyberunner8 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberunner8
Captain

Post by cyberunner8 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:17 pm

np
Last edited by cyberunner8 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Tragic, any progress on your game conversion? Are you nearly done, or do you still have a lot to do? Stuck on anything?

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:43 pm

No... Just haven't done much on it for a while. Been doing my videos for the Lord of the Rings Living Card Game. Plus I recently found a wargame called infinity that has neat models so been painting them and I think I have worked out the kink in my 3D printer I am building so I am now working on the software to make better prints so I can manufacturer the parts to build a bigger printer.

cyberunner8
Captain

Sorry was that a question for me or some one else?

Post by cyberunner8 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:46 pm

Tragic, any progress on your game conversion? Are you nearly done, or do you still have a lot to do? Stuck on anything?

Ahh cool np.
Last edited by cyberunner8 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Re: Sorry was that a question for me or some one else?

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:53 pm

cyberunner8 wrote:Sorry? Was that a question for me or someone else?
Sorry for the confusion. This is a thread discussing a digital conversion of a boardgame called Dungeon Run, which is being done by a BG forum user named Tragic. I was just trying to get it back on topic.