Attention Mac users!

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
heruca
Developer

Re: Shockwave Files

Post by heruca » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:06 pm

badblade wrote:I have tried downloading those Shockwave files, but I can't seem to figure out where they go. The image above looks like it may be from an older OS.
The attached pic show where the files need to go under Snow Leopard.

The file path is:
"<your Mac>/<your startup drive with Snow Leopard>/Library/Application Support/Macromedia/"
Attachments
Snow Leopard file path.png
Snow Leopard file path.png (47.55 KiB) Viewed 111850 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

severin
Captain

Post by severin » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:48 am

I upgraded to a new Mac and encountered this bug.

Intel Based Mac
OS 10.6.5

Installing the 3 files you provided seemed to do the trick. BG started normally.

Interestingly the error messages I received went something like this:

1. You need to install Rosetta
2. You need to install Shockwave (I installed Shockwave 11.5.9.615 for Mac)
3. This application requires Shockwave Player 10...

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Severin, (and anyone else who encountered this problem and successfully applied the fix)

Please conduct the following 2 tests and let me know the results.

1) Try accessing the Notepad feature (using any method; button, hotkey, or menu command)

2) Try accessing the User Manual by selecting the "User Manual" command from BG button's popup menu.

I've been unable to do either, and I think this fix we applied may be the culprit (i.e., it's only a partial fix). When I'm running BRPG under a different installation of OS X (which never had this security patch problem), both commands work just fine.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

severin
Captain

Post by severin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:52 am

I can access both the Notepad and User Manual.

I am using BG version 1.6 L.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:46 am

Great, thanks. Glad to hear it's just me.

gkramer1

Post by gkramer1 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:01 pm

I'm not sure this is fully solved. I just downloaded the demo version of Battlegrounds RPG, and ran into the errors shown on this thread. Mac OS 10.6.6.

I installed Shockwave (the 64 bit version -- does that make a difference?)**

I got the "Requires Shockwave 10" message. So I installed the three files given in this thread -- same error appears. I tried both directory paths listed in the thread, no difference.

** installing the 32 bit version of Shockwave would be non-trival. Macromedia says I need to open my browser using Rosetta before I can do that, but the browser (Safari) doesn't list that option anymore -- this is an Intel-only OS -- there aren't PowerPC versions of the files anymore.

-Greg Kramer

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 pm

gkramer1, did you install Rosetta on your computer?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:04 pm

heruca wrote:Severin, (and anyone else who encountered this problem and successfully applied the fix)

Please conduct the following 2 tests and let me know the results.

1) Try accessing the Notepad feature (using any method; button, hotkey, or menu command)

2) Try accessing the User Manual by selecting the "User Manual" command from BG button's popup menu.

I've been unable to do either, and I think this fix we applied may be the culprit (i.e., it's only a partial fix). When I'm running BRPG under a different installation of OS X (which never had this security patch problem), both commands work just fine.
It turns out that there was just something wonky with my hard drive and/or OS. When my hard drive died recently, I installed a new one and restored all the files from a Time Machine backup, and I never experienced these two issues again.

pnwd00d

New Mac, Rosetta installed, All updates etc

Post by pnwd00d » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Hey,

So I'm on the latest and greatest iMac with 10.6.7 and all security updates. I've got Shockwave 11 installed, and Rosetta as well.

I'm unable to launch the application due to the same reasons everyone already noted in this thread. I could replace all the files you point out but I'm not really feeling like it for various reasons.

I only wanted to see how your product has matured over time. My gaming group is interested in it but I know they won't jump through these sorts of hoops even though it does appear to contain the features we want.

For what it's worth, I've seen this error A LOT in other applications that depend on either Flash or Shockwave. In most cases it's because the software in question seems to be too picky in its preference for the Adobe software version and all such developers seem to get around to fixing it in a patch. As noted in your later posts, to me it seems unlikely that the security update is the culprit here. I'll check back in a couple months and see if you've solved it.

Cheers

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:59 pm

I think I should clarify something. BRPG does not have a dependency on Shockwave. It is a completely self-contained program.

What I suspect has happened is that some update to Mac OS X has interfered with the application's ability to access the "Xtras" folder, where a lot of required code is stored. The only dependency that BRPG has is to the files that ship with it (including, of course, said Xtras" folder).

It should theoretically be possible to completely uninstall any and all versions of Shockwave from your system and BRPG should still run.

I'll post more when I know more.

Hoodsey
Cannon Fodder

Post by Hoodsey » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:13 am

Do you have any plans of actually breaking away from Rosetta? It actually slows down apps that run in it since it's an emulation layer.

I only ask because Lion is around the corner bringing LOTS of under-the-hood goodness.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:17 am

Welcome, Hoodsey.

If I ever create a Battlegrounds v2, it would be done using a newer version of Adobe Director, which creates native apps for Mac OS X (i.e., Rosetta would no longer be required).

Unfortunately, I cannot simply create a new build of BRPG v1.x using the new version of Director. It would basically require a ground-up rewrite.

Hoodsey
Cannon Fodder

Post by Hoodsey » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:45 pm

Confirmed...

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/os- ... lications/

That was just posted today.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:11 am

Here's something you might try if BRPG won't launch for you in OS X.

Move the following four files from BRPG's "Xtras" folder into BRPG's root folder:
DPLib
IMLLib
MacromediaRuntimeLib
ProjLib

Please let me know if you try this, and if it helps get BRPG to launch.

canadrian
Soldier

Rosetta will definitely be gone

Post by canadrian » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:51 pm

So it is confirmed that Rosetta will not even be installable under Lion. It has been completely retired. Does that mean Mac users with paid BRPG licenses are left with the options...

A - buy Windows and boot into it to use BRPG
B - do not upgrade to Lion and miss out on its host of improvements
C - abandon BRPG and write off any money spent on it

Or will there be a fourth option of...

D - upgrade to the Intel-native version of BRPG when it is released shortly after Lion

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Don't forget option E: Keep a Leopard partition that you can boot into to continue using programs that require Rosetta.

Option D is possible, but it won't happen very soon.

heruca
Developer

Re: Rosetta will definitely be gone

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:31 pm

canadrian wrote:A - buy Windows and boot into it to use BRPG
Anyone who happens to choose option A is welcome to request Windows-specific license codes, free of charge.

canadrian
Soldier

Post by canadrian » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Does the Windows version of BRPG run under Wine or Crossover on OS X? I suppose that might be another option.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:08 pm

I don't know. I do know that BRPG runs for Linux users under Wine and Virtual Box. Why don't you try it out using the free Demo and let us know your results?

canadrian
Soldier

Post by canadrian » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:48 pm

There is no currently-maintained version of Wine for OS X, and I have not purchased a license to Crossover (a commercial fork of Wine). If BRPG runs under these environments in Linux, it ought to run fine in OS X the same way. Unfortunately all of the options (with the exception of a second Snow Leopard partition) are fairly pricey solutions to the problem. They may work well for people who already own the products though.

Hoodsey
Cannon Fodder

Post by Hoodsey » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:59 am

After looking at Adobe's offerings, I believe you could import BGRPG into a newer version of Director and make it a more robust app at the same time. I feel as if I'm in the same boat. I despise Windows, and don't really like emulation as you don't get the native speeds...

Lion is rumored to come out on July 6th. We'll know for certain how BGRPG works out then...

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:02 pm

Hoodsey wrote:I believe you could import BGRPG into a newer version of Director and make it a more robust app at the same time.
I've been nagging heruca to upgrade to Director 11.5 for a while ;-)
Problem is that BRPG is heavily dependent on a library that is incompatible with the new versions of Director, meaning that heruca would have to rewrite substantial portions of BRPG's code to get it to work.

He decided instead to just go ahead and start coding BRPG v2 from scratch, which will be a Director 11.5 or higher-based application.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm

And with Director 11.x getting long in the tooth now, if Heruca starts on BRPG v2 now, by the time he finishes Director 12 may be out. If it does come out at all.

Elric
Soldier

Post by Elric » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Is there REALLY any negative points to just running Battlegrounds and BGE under Parallels? I'd really like to go to Lion and don't know that much about MACs to build a separate partition running Snow Leopard.
Elric
SEMO Recordings
Dundjinni CSUAC and Archives

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:04 pm

Elric wrote:Is there REALLY any negative points to just running Battlegrounds and BGE under Parallels?
I don't think so, as long as you already have a Windows OS license.