BRPG v1.6c beta released

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements

BRPG v1.6c beta released

Postby heruca » Tue May 25, 2010 3:33 pm

BRPG v1.6c is now available for download. It is to be considered in beta status for the time being.

The main features of this update are:
¢ New features: Secret Token, Secret Portrait, and Screen
¢ You can now select a chat color for each individual figure or chat alias.
¢ Anti-aliasing feature (for a nicer display of charts & tables while zoomed out).
¢ Copious bug fixes

The format for Encounters and Deployments has changed since v1.6b. Encounters and Deployment files created in older versions of BRPG will be automatically updated to the new format when loaded. The "User Cast.cxt" file has not changed since v1.5, so copying over the "User Cast.cxt" file from a prior BRPG version may be a fast and efficient way to preserve your media if you are updating from that version of BRPG.

This is a full install. A patch version is available below.

Download BRPG v1.6c here:
Windows version (125.2 MB)
Mac version (130.1 MB)

For convenience, v1.6c is also available as a patch. You must already have BRPG v1.5a or higher installed in order to use this patch.

Download:
BRPG v1.6c Patch for Mac & Windows (4.6 MB)

How to "install" this patch: Unzip the downloaded file, then simply move the included files into the corresponding BRPG v1.5a or higher folders, overwriting the existing files when prompted.

Although a ReadMe file with the information below is contained in the v1.6c download, some people might find it useful to see the changes prior to downloading the zip file.

Version History:
v1.6c

¢ You can now select a chat color for each individual figure. The default chat color for figures is black.
¢ GMs can now assign a specific chat color to a chat alias by specifying the color in brackets when using the "ChatAs=" command in the chat window (e.g., "ChatAs=Filthy Leper[Brown]"). Chat aliases that don't have a chat color specified for them will default to speaking in black text.
¢ Units (both figures and objects) can now be set to have a Secret Token, from a command in the unit's contextual popup menu. Selecting this option will show the normal token for the owning player, but will show an alternate token to everyone else, including the GM. The alternate token that will be shown is the second token listed for the unit (this command does not appear for units with only one token). This feature will mostly be used in boardgames and wargames to conceal the true nature of a unit (e.g., a letter tile in Scrabble, a domino, a flipped counter in a wargame).
¢ Units (both figures and objects) can now be set to have a Secret Portrait, from a command in the unit's contextual popup menu. Selecting this option will show the normal portrait for the owning player, but will show an alternate portrait to everyone else, including the GM. The alternate portrait that will be shown is the second portrait listed for the unit (this command does not appear for units with only one portrait). This feature will mostly be used by GMs so that players see a "visual aid" style portrait for a creature or NPC, while the GM sees a stat block or other information that should be concealed from the players.
¢ A new "Use as a Screen" command is available for Objects in their contextual popup menu. Using this command, an object will be drawn (on other players' displays) above other objects and figures, effectively "screening" them from view. For the player owning the object, the object is not drawn at all, so the owner's view is not obscured by the screen. A new "Screen" button on the Unit Manager allows the setting to be turned off by the GM.
¢ A new "Antialias" command is available for Objects in their contextual popup menu. This command should be used for units whose graphics contain text, to make the text more readable when zoomed out. Note that when this setting is enabled, rollovers will no longer take transparency into account; instead, a rollover will be detected or not based on the graphic's bounding box. Also, this setting has no effect on rotated units.
¢ If the Dice Roller window ever disappears, you can now hold down the Shift key while pressing the [R] hotkey to make the Dice Roller window reappear, centered in your display.
¢ Change: Players can now use private names for units they control. Previously, only the GM had access to private names. Note that GMs cannot see the private name of player-controlled units. This applies to character name labels on the map window, to the name shown in the "Token Name" column of the Turn Sequencer, and to turn sequence announcements made in the Chat window and map window.
¢ Change: GMs can no longer see a player-owned unit that has been set to Hidden.
¢ Change: On the GM's screen, if a unit attempts to display a token from a commercial artpack that is not registered, a placeholder token will be shown instead.
¢ Change: On the GM's screen, if a unit attempts to display portrait art from a commercial artpack that is not registered, a placeholder portrait will be shown instead.
¢ Bug fix: Anchored units were not being properly saved in Encounters and Deployment files.
¢ Bug fix: The image browsers were unable to display a thumbnail for any image measuring over 4000 pixels in either dimension, so a special thumbnail is now displayed instead, to prevent an error message.
¢ Bug fix: Dynamic text (i.e., text created with the Draw Tool) was not updating/previewing properly while it was being created or edited. This probably had not been working properly since v1.4g.
¢ Bug fix: Certain new unit properties were not being properly retained when cloning (copying and pasting) units.
¢ Bug fix: After using the Undo feature, free-floating objects were being moved when the map was dragged with the mouse and a ghost-image of the free-floating objects remained at their original location.
¢ Bug fix: Fixed a problem when placing units on a hexgrid while snap-to-grid was enabled; the units were offset vertically by around 15 pixels, so you had to move them slightly after the initial placement to get them to snap-to-grid.
¢ Bug fix: Fixed a problem when placing units on a hexgrid while zoomed in or out. Units were not appearing exactly where you specified.
¢ Bug fix: The "Load Deployment here..." command now works properly on a hexgrid.
¢ Bug fix: Portrait art is now properly positioned in the top-right corner of the map window for units whose portrait artwork has horizontal or vertical offsets applied to it.
¢ Bug fix: Pressing the "Cancel" button on the Text Label panel was resulting in an error.
¢ Bug fix: The Dice Roller window was disappearing when a dice macro was auto-rolled or loaded if the die color used by the dice macro had not been previously loaded during the current BRPG session.
¢ Bug fix: On occasion, text was being inadvertently pasted into the chat input field of the chat window, even if the paste shortcut had been used while BRPG was not the active application.
¢ Bug fix: In the Lobby, when the chat output field filled up, it was not automatically scrolling the field to the bottom to show new incoming chat messages.
Last edited by heruca on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Wed May 26, 2010 5:15 pm

Edited the OP to reflect that v1.6c is now also available as a Full Install.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Thank you!!!!

Postby boshimi336 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:09 am

I will download and play with this, this weekend! Thank you very much!!! Just starting to crunch through some stuff to see if this platform is truly a viable way to track tokens in certain wargames. It's looking like it will be. :-)
boshimi336
Soldier

Re: BRPG v1.6c beta released

Postby Kazander » Sat May 29, 2010 11:44 am

heruca wrote:¢ Change: GMs can no longer see a player-owned unit that has been set to Hidden.

Okay, I give up on this one. I don't understand why you made this change, since it's still only the GM that can control whether the unit is hidden or not.
Kazander
General

Postby heruca » Sat May 29, 2010 11:49 am

In the next release, players will have access to the Hide/Show command for units that they own.
heruca
Developer

Postby ursus » Sun May 30, 2010 11:49 am

Shouldn't this be optional? Some GMs might need to keep track of the player's figure, even if it is hidden. For example, what does the GM do when both he and the player have hidden figures?
ursus
General

Postby rrvistas » Sun May 30, 2010 12:01 pm

As in a RPG the GM is god, he should always be able to see where every figure stands.
But if you play a wargame, the GM is merely one side in the game, and then he should not be able to see the hidden units of the other players.
rrvistas
General

Postby heruca » Sun May 30, 2010 12:35 pm

ursus wrote:Shouldn't this be optional? Some GMs might need to keep track of the player's figure, even if it is hidden. For example, what does the GM do when both he and the player have hidden figures?

Use the "Stealth/Invisible" setting for player-owned figures. They'll be drawn at 50% opacity for everyone. No real need for members of an adventuring party to hide themselves from one another, is there?
heruca
Developer

Postby Monk » Sun May 30, 2010 7:08 pm

heruca wrote:In the next release, players will have access to the Hide/Show command for units that they own.

Oooo... that's a good one. [;)]
Monk
Soldier

GM still needs to be able to see hidden figures for RPGs

Postby markuwp » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:16 am

heruca wrote:
ursus wrote:Shouldn't this be optional? Some GMs might need to keep track of the player's figure, even if it is hidden. For example, what does the GM do when both he and the player have hidden figures?

Use the "Stealth/Invisible" setting for player-owned figures. They'll be drawn at 50% opacity for everyone. No real need for members of an adventuring party to hide themselves from one another, is there?

I understand the need for different people to completely hide units for wargames, but please do not eliminate the functionality for both a GM and player to see that player's hidden unit. There IS a real need for members of an adventuring party to hide from each other. It adds realism to not know where your invisible friends are. For example, having an invisible ally makes it harder to cast area-effect spells. A campaign with evil and/or greedy characters might also have times where an invisible character would not want his companions to know what he/she is up to (but the GM would still need to see them).

We recently decided to start using BRPG for face-to-face sessions (previously had just used it at distance since we live in different states, but had used paper and minis when we got together for live "marathon" weekends). In discussing whether or not to bother with computers and BRPG, the deciding factors included fog of war and the ability to have hidden figures that other players couldn't see (but the GM can). Serving different views to different players is something paper-and-minis can't match, and adds to the realism of the experience. I really hope you'll reconsider stripping out the ability for players to see their own hidden pieces while still allowing the GM to see everything.
markuwp
General

Re: GM still needs to be able to see hidden figures for RPGs

Postby Omnidon » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:18 am

markuwp wrote:I understand the need for different people to completely hide units for wargames, but please do not eliminate the functionality for both a GM and player to see that player's hidden unit. There IS a real need for members of an adventuring party to hide from each other.

Agreed. Should be a preferences option at the very least.
Omnidon
Site Admin

Postby heruca » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:20 am

OK, I'll make it a preference.
heruca
Developer

bump - GM viewing hidden characters

Postby markuwp » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:03 am

heruca wrote:OK, I'll make it a preference.

Where do we change this preference?
markuwp
General

Bump again

Postby markuwp » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:37 pm

heruca wrote:OK, I'll make it a preference.

Just wanted to remind you to either change this back to the way it was before 1.6C or to make it a preference. I can see where having figures hidden from the host might be good for boardgames, but for RPGs it is very inconvenient that GMs can't see where invisible players are.

A workaround occurred to me that would also be a nice feature addition. We can currently either only have one person or "All" owning a figure. If instead we could select and deselect people allowing for multiple owners this would completely solve the invisibility problem by allowing one to select both GM and a player as owners of a figure. It would also more than one person to move forces around (without revealing information about those figures to everyone) or could allow for an co-GM or assistant GM to help move people around and control things.
markuwp
General

Return to Product Releases