Ran our first full session using v1.5

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Doval
Sergeant

Ran our first full session using v1.5

Post by Doval » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Last night our group got all 5 players plus me online to give BG a full workout. It went mostly well, with just a few glitches. I have a full GM license, but all 5 players were in demo mode. As expected, all of them timed out at some point in the session, but the good news is that when they relaunched BG and reconnected, it remembered what their character was and ownership did not have to be reassigned.

We tried to run two encounters so I distributed 2 media bundles prior to the session, which everyone loads before hand. The first was not really an encounter, but a tactical overview with 5 mile hexes showing where they had been and where they were going. Even with the media bundle send, some people had black stripes across their map. If this session had worked flawlessly I suspect we'd be ordering 5 player licenses this week, but that map glitched. One player exited BG entirely and re-entered and it fixed his problem and he saw the whole map. My son was in the other room and connected via our LAN could never see the whole thing.

A bit depressed we went ahead and loaded the combat encounter. It worked flawlessly. Within 1 minute everyone had the map up (a 30 x 20 square 122 dpi jpg) with the 8 wolves and 5 player icon as well as the mule and cart. I had dice macros for initiative and it worked fine. Everyone could move and all in all we did well.

We also had Ventrilo running for voice support, so that helped. it makes it feel more like sitting around a table, but there are still some differences. All in all I think things went well and we enjoyed the session. I just need to set up more dice macros for the wolves to speed up the attack and defenses.

Matt

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:18 pm

Is it possible that you made changes to the Encounter after you exported the media bundle? That would cause it to lose the link to the bundle, and would explain why a peer-to-peer map transfer to your players was triggered, instead of the media being automatically imported from the bundle.

If you open your Encounter in a text editor, you should see something like the sample shown below:
  • [[2, 10, "Grass", "Square", 1, "Camp Guard", 0, 0, 65, 0, 1, 40, 40, 0, 0, rgb( 0, 0, 0 ), "", "", [[]], 0, "Manual and Dynamic", 5, "Feet", "Campsite, Day", "", 1, "Client Chooses", "Client Chooses", "", point(0, 0)],...text continues
The text I highlighted in green (right after the measurement unit) is the name of the external media bundle that will be imported when the Encounter is loaded. If, in your Encounter, this text is merely empty quotes (e.g., ""), it means the link has been lost, and that's what caused your problems during the game. If you don't feel like re-exporting your media bundle, you can manually type in the name of the media bundle and re-save the text file.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:24 pm

Another possibility just occurred to me...

Had you previously had your player's connect to you with that Encounter loaded prior to your giving them the media bundle? If they had, and had received incomplete maps with black rows during a peer-to-peer map transfer, that incomplete map would have remained on their clients, so the clean maps in the bundle would not have been imported when they loaded the media bundle.

The solution to this is to have the players use the "Purge Media" panel prior to connecting to your game, and have them purge the incomplete map.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.