Battlegrounds: RPG Edition Sneak Preview

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements
heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:32 pm

Welcome, Logophylia.

There will be (perhaps limited) FoW capability in the free Demo, so you can try before you buy. I just meant that FoW wouldn't be in the sneak preview beta.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Logophylia
Cannon Fodder

Post by Logophylia » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:55 pm

Thanks !

I look forward with great anticipation. :D

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:15 pm

heruca wrote:Eventually I'd like to add an option for transferring the maps and minis ahead of time.

For now, the way it works is that the minis are transferred the first time you use them on a map, so if the same minis get used on maps #2 & #3, they're already preloaded on the client. In any case, most minis are transferred very fast, particularly if they've been prescaled in a graphics app (50-80 KB each).
Thanks Heruca. I was more concerned as a potential exploit for Beta / Demo usage to work around saving limitations. While I think testing does need to cover saving and loading for Beta Testers, I'm not sure about putting it in an open Beta either. However, depends how many of the network functions 1.05 will still be missing I guess.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:50 am

I wouldn't worry about keeping stuff out of the sneak preview. There is clearly going to be a lot of development over the next 12 months. Some people may chose just to stick with the preview if it's functionality is better, but the only consequences will be that they become hooked on the prog & that they will increasingly covet the features (& lack of bugs) that they don't have; won't be that long before they buy it.

riddles
Captain

Post by riddles » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:59 am

Dormouse wrote:I wouldn't worry about keeping stuff out of the sneak preview. There is clearly going to be a lot of development over the next 12 months. Some people may chose just to stick with the preview if it's functionality is better, but the only consequences will be that they become hooked on the prog & that they will increasingly covet the features (& lack of bugs) that they don't have; won't be that long before they buy it.
You're obviously far more trusting of roleplayers than I am! :)
I would NEVER give a save function for a free product that can also be paid for. I would even go so far as to fix the map and figures for the demo. But I'm a git. :wink:
OTOH, you need to show all the features of the program that you're selling, so FoW is pretty important.
Just my 2p's worth of thoughts...

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:17 am

heruca,

I see the 1.0.5 manual on the downloads page but not the 1.0.5 file. Is this a glitch or am I just expecting too much this early in the am?

Can't wait to get ahold of 1.0.5 :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:37 am

Not a glitch. Beta 1.0.5 is going to be posted later today. The User Manual was done first, so I went ahead and posted it. Note that it will also be included in the 1.0.5 installer, so there's no point in downloading it twice.

I only made the User Manual available as a separate download for those people that might want to use it as a means of evaluating BRPG to make sure it supports their needs before downloading the much larger Sneak Preview software archive. Also, in the future there might be User Manual updates in between software updates, so it's a handy way to stay current on any errata fixes and additions to the documentation.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:20 pm

I've got a very anxious gaming group waiting to try out BRPG. They've got me checking every hour to see if its posted. Hope everythings working Heruca

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:23 pm

OK, I'm caving in to popular demand. I'll be posting it within the hour.

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:31 pm

Thanks a lot Heruca.

Anything in particular you want us to look for on the bug front?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:10 am

smatt1001, I'm uploading beta 1.0.5 now. Should be about 45 minutes until the upload is complete. I'll post here when it's done.

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:34 am

Again, thanks Heruca.

Is there a particular feature you'd like my group to try, they're anxious but perfectly willing to try odd stuff to test the program

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:43 am

Go crazy. Try out everything. :)

If you want, I can even join your game and/or voice chat and walk you guys through it. Assuming I can stay awake long enough.

13 minutes to go.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:58 am

BRPG Sneak Preview beta 1.0.5 is now available from the Downloads page!

Because beta 1.0.5 is somewhat rushed, it has quite a few known bugs, all noted in the accompanying ReadMe file. I'm therefore leaving beta 1.0.4 available on the Downloads page, since it has some features that work in it that no longer work properly in beta 1.0.5 (like Tooltip Notes). As always, please post any bugs you encounter that are not mentioned in the ReadMe file.

Note that this is not an update to the previous beta versions; it's a stand-alone install. So if you already have an earlier beta installed, please install this to a new directory. You may then wish to move or copy over any files that you had placed in the Figures, Objects, Maps, etc. folders of your earlier installation into the respective folders of your 1.0.5 installation.

This may or may not be the last beta version posted before the official release of BRPG. So if you have feedback, please post it right away.

Please see the included ReadMe file for a list of what's new and the bugs that have been fixed. Most important is that the connection-crashing bug seems to be gone for good.

But since I know many of you won't bother with the ReadMe, here's a quick summary.

Beta 1.0.5 adds several new features, including:
About half of the online/multiuser code is in place, so the GM can now place units and move them around, adjust settings, etc., and these actions will all be reproduced on the connected clients' screen. Connected clients can do the same, but only on figures that have been assigned to them.
The "Attack" and "Target" commands now work.
The interface screens (i.e., the floating window) are now modal.
Added three more maps (courtesy of Kepli), usable in any genre. Like the default grass map, these maps are meant to be customized by deploying objects on them.
Added a Save Encounter feature (but there's still no functioning Load Encounter feature).
Various bug fixes and cosmetic improvements.

There is still no Fog of War, but you should know that even when there is, it will be kept fairly limited in the free beta.

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:09 am

Thanks Heruca

We'll try and put it through its paces.

Thanks for offering to join us. I'll have to take yopu up on it another time. A couple of the guys went out to get food and disappeared so I have no idea when we're starting up.

Thanks again

heruca
Developer

IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT BETA 1.0.5

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:09 am

1) Because the code for image transfers is not yet in place, you should only deploy units in online games that everyone has already imported. This is easy enough to work around. Let's say you and your friends want to test the new online features, and agree that as sample units you will be using the units "Giant Spider", "Archer, Idle", "Wizard, Action", and "Backpack 2". Have all of the clients import these units offline, before they connect to the GM. If you don't do this, you will get an error message if you deploy a unit that someone else does not have.

2) Because the online code for shuffling the stacking order of units is not yet in place, do not use this feature of the Unit Manager in online games. But definitely play around with it offline.

3) Do not delete units in online games. The online code is not yet in place, and everyone will be out of sync with their units, as in #2.

4) Other things that don't yet work in online games include dice rolling, sending audio or visual aids, and changing the map. However, none of these will give you an error or cause any problems, so you're free to do these things in online games, but just be aware that the other connected users won't see the results of these actions.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:29 pm

riddles wrote:You're obviously far more trusting of roleplayers than I am! :)
Don't think I'm any more trusting than you. Just believe that a combination of bugs in the sneak preview & a relative lack of features will mean that everyone who can will pay for the supported & developed version in the end. However mean they are.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:14 pm

BRPG Sneak Preview beta 1.0.5a is now available from the Downloads page. It's under Updates.

Because beta 1.0.5a is a patch, and not a full install, you will need to have beta 1.0.5 already installed.

Installation Instructions:
1) Expand the zip file, then drag the files it contains into your beta 1.0.5 installation. Click Yes or OK to overwrite any existing files.
2) Rename "BRPG (Mac beta 105).osx" to "BRPG (Mac beta 105a).osx".
3) Rename "BRPG (Windows beta 105).exe" to "BRPG (Windows beta 105a).exe".

Here's a quick recap of what has changed in this update:

A figure's token-style information (i.e., "portrait", "seen from above", or "seen from the front") is now saved with the unit defaults.
Fixed the "disappearing map window upon launch" problem that affected Windows users in beta 1.0.5.
Tweaked the code that limits the map scrolling boundaries, to work better at different screen resolutions.
Disabled the code that saves the connection preferences, which was causing crashes upon login on some systems.
The About screen now shows the correct beta version number.
Last edited by heruca on Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:26 pm

Snagged!

dittotb
Soldier

PDF

Post by dittotb » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:48 pm

I have not been able to download the newest PDF of the manual. Am I doing something wrong?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:15 pm

Dittob, try it now. I fixed the link. Sorry about that. :oops:

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:52 pm

Snagged ...

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:54 pm

I haven't hit any major snags in 1.05a which makes me worder if the next thing we see is BRPG v1.0 in the next couple of weeks.

I've started to wonder since the forums have gone quiet and heruca's got a content pack out....

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:05 am

The content pack is supposed to whet people's appetites. And because I'd promised it a while ago for registered forum users.

I'll be testing beta 1.0.6 tonight with Halebop. Look for it in a day or two, if all goes well. Map transfers, token transfers, and generally more complete multiuser functions and bug fixes. Oh, and larger chat window text. :)

After that I'll probably have a non-public beta for the Save/Load and FoW features, before releasing v1.0.

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:37 am

Sounds good Heruca