Battlegrounds: Wargame Edition announced

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements
heruca
Developer

Battlegrounds: Wargame Edition announced

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:15 pm

Battlegrounds: Wargame Edition will commence development in the first quarter of 2009, and should be released by mid-to-late-2009.

Battlegrounds: Wargame Edition is online virtual tabletop software for use with wargames such as Advanced Squad Leader, Panzer Leader, Ogre/G.E.V., etc. It, too, will be released simultaneously for Windows and Mac OS X. Note that players will need to own a copy of the game they wish to play, and have access to a scanner to scan in their gameboards and counters, since these may not be distributed with the Battlegrounds game engine due to copyright limitations.

Edit: Updated the dates in the post.
Last edited by heruca on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Brian66
Cannon Fodder

Consumer Demand for Wargame Edition

Post by Brian66 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:59 pm

Wanted to let Battlegrounds developers know I am anxiously looking forward to seeing what the Wargame edition is about. My remotely located brother and I are avid minitaure and boardgame wargamers and we are always on the lookout for a tool that will help us play turn-based games in real-time online.

We have dabled in a few games on Gleemax, GameTableOnline and AxisandAllies.org , but we still haven;t found what we are looking for.

I am a former U.S. Marine and currently a multimedia artist. Let me know if you need any graphics support to get a Wargame editiion Beta moving in the right direction.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Welcome, Brian66.

In case you haven't tried it out yet, the RPG Edition is suitable for some boardgames and "light" wargames. Since both editions will be based off the same core "game engine", you might want to play around with the Demo and offer preemptive feedback for the Wargame Edition.

You might also want to play around with Vassal and/or Cyberboard, two popular wargaming virtual tabletops (and my future "competitors" in that arena, I suppose). Jot down what you like and hate about them, and post your impressions and suggestions for how a wargaming VT could be improved upon.

Actually, this advice goes for everyone that is interested in the Wargame Edition. The more feedback I can get before development begins, the better.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

WyvernSting
Sergeant

Post by WyvernSting » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:18 pm

Heruca,
Can you point me to the list of features which make the Wargame Edition different than the RPG edition? Should I assume instead of a GM/Player relationship where the GM has total control/access of all objects & units, that the Wargame Edition will instead have two equal Players who have control/access over their own units and no player will have "god mode" within the encounter?

Can you tell me if there is special pricing associated with players who already own BRPG licenses?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:31 pm

1. No such list exists, yet.

2. Your assumption is correct.

3. I doubt there will be special pricing for BRPG owners, unless I eventually release a bundle of BRPG & BWE, in which case BRPG owners will probably just be able to pay the price difference (which of course will be lower for the bundle than if the products were bought separately). If I ever release a BRPG v2, current BRPG users will definitely get an upgrade discount, if they bought BRPG prior to v2's release date.

WyvernSting
Sergeant

Post by WyvernSting » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:28 pm

How does one become a beta tester for your new WgE? I tried using BRPG for a Starfleet Battles game I run with a friend of mine and he wasn't happy that I had an unfettered view of the whole battlefield. :)

I'd love to help you out where ever you need.

Thanks.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:55 pm

WyvernSting wrote:How does one become a beta tester for your new WgE? I tried using BRPG for a Starfleet Battles game I run with a friend of mine and he wasn't happy that I had an unfettered view of the whole battlefield. :)
Well, at least for BRPG, he always releases his betas publicly. He does occasionally have alpha versions though and a small group of alpha testers.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:15 am

Expressing interest, as you're doing, is a good way to ensure that you'll be included in any alpha or beta testing groups.

BTS1967
General

Post by BTS1967 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:34 pm

heruca wrote:Welcome, Brian66.
Jot down what you like and hate about them, and post your impressions and suggestions for how a wargaming VT could be improved upon.

Actually, this advice goes for everyone that is interested in the Wargame Edition. The more feedback I can get before development begins, the better.
Been out on vacation but back. Heruca, do you have a thread to compile the suggestions? I am definitely interested and have a number of games I would like to use the WgE with... Twilight Emperium is one and another is Runebound.

Thanks,
BTS

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:47 pm

BTS1967 wrote:Heruca, do you have a thread to compile the suggestions?
Post your feature requests here. If you wish to make several feature requests, please start a new thread for each one, rather than posting them all together.

blibertore
Cannon Fodder

Small Skirmish

Post by blibertore » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:35 am

The game as it sits now lends itself well to miniature games. We turn grid off (g) and snap to grid off (x) and throw down some counters we found on the net and made our map and renamed some of the labels you can put on units, such as pinned, routed, whatever... we also use the measure distance to move figs and measure distances, and the dice macro for rolling on a to hit table, damage table, and upload some look up tables.... All of this has allowed us to play star fleet battles, silent death, and WWII skirmish (nuts 2.0)

here are some screenshots I have taken of us playing Nuts 2.0 by two hour wargame. (scroll down some)

heruca
Developer

Re: Small Skirmish

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:46 am

blibertore wrote:The game as it sits now lends itself well to miniature games.
Certainly, but I think most people would agree that it would be better to have a client that is designed from the ground up to support wargaming, as opposed to "shoehorning" an RPG-oriented program into this task. Removing RPG-specific functions is only part of the plan; the rest will be about adding wargame-specific features, such as supporting unit formations and stacks of counters, keeping track of victory points, supporting Order of Battle mechanics, etc.

riddles
Captain

Post by riddles » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:57 pm

For me, the main thing is that there's no hierarchy of ownership of the game. I.e. no GM, all players can put stuff down, fog of war is on a per player basis and so on.

All the rest, the order of battle, victory points etc. is a nice to have, but not 100% necessary.

Take the heirarchy out and BRPG is BWE now... :)

My £0.02 :)

WyvernSting
Sergeant

Post by WyvernSting » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:48 pm

Heruca, any updates on when the Wargame Edition will be released? (I apologize if this is covered somewhere else in the forums and I've just missed it).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:33 pm

See the first sentence in the first post in this thread. :P

GAMAserf
Soldier

Post by GAMAserf » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:16 pm

OMG! This wait has been killing me! Get to it already! :shock:

Don't make me go buy a CDR, 'cause I ain't got no facilitator.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:15 pm

Hiya, Pete. :D

GAMAserf
Soldier

Post by GAMAserf » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi. :!:

I check in here every few months 'cause I've been anxiously anticipating the release of the Wargame Edition. You do great work, so I'm sure my patience will pay off.

Let me know if you need beta testers. You know where to find me. :twisted:

btw, great site ... and enviable traffic.

GAMAserf
Soldier

Post by GAMAserf » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Checkin' in again. :)

Anything to report? Any good news?

I just ordered ~150 pewter 15mm AWI miniatures, much to the wife's chagrin.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:42 pm

Nothing much to report on the Wargame Edition, other than to say I'm closer to wrapping up the RPG Edition, which needs to happen before I start work on the other project.

GAMAserf
Soldier

Post by GAMAserf » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:22 pm

All plains! Er, um. Never mind.

I guess I'll just sit over there ::gestures vaguely:: and wait. Do you have a notification list for when WgE (or its beta) is released?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:23 pm

Everyone who's signed up on this forum will receive notification via email when the Wargame Edition is released. But you'll know about it sooner, since I'll probably draft you as a beta tester. :wink:

Arimmus
Captain

Post by Arimmus » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:51 pm

Ohh beta tester, Sounds like a fancy word for sucker to me :P hehehehe I love being a beta tester, but Heruca, Promise me you won't make me run in a wheel without pants on, the last time i was a beta tester, they made me do that for 8 hours....

GAMAserf
Soldier

Post by GAMAserf » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:44 pm

The anticipation is already killing me.

GAMAserf
Soldier

Post by GAMAserf » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:55 am

There better be both a lost marine scenario and a sniper scenario, or WgE just won't seem complete.