BUGS: First F2F Gaming Session With BRPG

Skeeve
Sergeant

BUGS: First F2F Gaming Session With BRPG

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:35 am

Greetings,

I just posted a User Feeback on our first gaming session with BRPG. Please see the post if you are interested: http://battlegroundsgames.com/forums/vi ... php?t=1879

Configurations:
GM Client - HP DV9000 laptop runing Vista Business connected wirelessly to Linksys Router
Floating License Player - Dell laptop running XP Pro connected wirelessly to same Linksys Router
Player License - Dell laptop running Vista Ultimate connected wirelessly to to same Linksys Router
Floating License Remote Player running XP Pro connected over Internet.

Here are the details of the bugs that we encounter (hopefully they were random encounters) ;-)

We had three connections going and each connection had different issues with their maps. There would be a horizontal black bar covering a small section of their maps (each one player had a black bar in a different area). Please see enclosed attachment.

The GM client would constantly get Index out of range Script Error. Continue? (Director Player Error) pop-ups. One of the other players would also get this error when they ALT-TAB away from BRPG. The GM could not duplicate that but the player could. The GM would normally get the error when users connected and after the map was transferred.

The dice rolling screen was constantly interupting because the More Preference setting does not seem to work (as we assumed it would).

In the beginning the players would constantly get disconnected whenever another user connected. We think it may have been related to the floating license and static player license but were reluncant to troubleshoot after we got it working. The method we tried that seemed to work is make sure the player with the static license connected to a new GM session first, then in turn let the floating users come in.

The issue when a unit has 3 or more labels applied to it and is adajent to another unit it can not be selected with the mouse. It can be selected via the Unit Manager but labels should not interfer with selections. As for an improvement it would be great to implement the free text and add a new feature where a label would have either static properly (always displayed) or a fade property (where it would be visible if the unit was selected and disappear after 5 seconds when not selected).

Although I am not sure this is a bug but the chat window and menu window are way to visibly persistant. When BRPG is minimized they stay visible. Even when BRPG pops up confirmation messages (like do you really want to exit) they will be hiddent behind the chat and menu windows. I would much prefer a menu button that brought up the menu because honestly with keyboard shortcuts I would use those more (or hit M to bring the menu up).
Hosting a F2F (face to face) D&D 4e game using BRPG 1.3c on Vista.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:30 pm

The missing (black) map row is annoying, but there's an easy fix. If your players inform you that some rows are missing, the GM can use the "Send Missing Map Pieces" command (in the BG button's popup menu), and it will quickly fill in the gaps.

The problem can also be avoided completely by either using server-loaded maps, or by predistributing the map in a password-protected media bundle.

Regarding the disconnects when the licensed Player Client logged in, are your player's initials MV, by any chance? If so, this person had an incorrect license code that may have been causing that problem, but that has been sorted out, and he should now have a valid license. Let me know if the disconnect issues persist.
Skeeve wrote:Although I am not sure this is a bug but the chat window and menu window are way to visibly persistant. When BRPG is minimized they stay visible. Even when BRPG pops up confirmation messages (like do you really want to exit) they will be hiddent behind the chat and menu windows.
I have not seen that behavior. For me, when BRPG loses focus, all of its panels & windows automatically disappear until BRPG regains focus. I wonder if this is a Vista-related issue. Is anyone else running Vista and experiencing the "persistent window" problem?
Skeeve wrote:I would much prefer a menu button that brought up the menu because honestly with keyboard shortcuts I would use those more (or hit M to bring the menu up).
That's exactly what you get when you close the Commands panel (or if you disable the Commands panel in Preferences). All those commands will then be available either by hotkey or from the BG button's popup menu.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Skeeve
Sergeant

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:56 pm

Heruca,

Thanks. We will try the "Send Missing Map Pieces" if it happens again.

As for the disconnects, MV was not the initials of any of our users. Again, we will always try to have the Player connect first before any floating licenses are used. Some of the symptoms we saw when we had issues was a user would show connected more than once (same name) in my GM chat screen.

I will test it on both XP and on Vista for the focus issue and let you know.

I did see you can close the command menu - is there a "hot key" that restores it without going to the main menu and selecting it?

As for the other two items - can you confirm the More Preferences setting to "Show Incoming Die Rolls" when uncheck will not pop up the dial roller for the GM (and if that is the functionality can you confirm it is "broken")?

The biggest issue was that Script Error though. It could easily be causing other issues and we would have no idea. I am game for trying to troubleshoot it with you.

Skeeve

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:11 am

heruca wrote:Is anyone else running Vista and experiencing the "persistent window" problem?
Yes, I have (and am running Vista). I experience it most often with the Command window, but it's also the only one that stays open all the time.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:28 am

Note: I've removed the attachments from the OP, as they were forcing too much scrolling, and had already served their purpose.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:18 am

Skeeve wrote:I did see you can close the command menu - is there a "hot key" that restores it without going to the main menu and selecting it?
Not at this time. Would you like to suggest a hotkey? I'm thinking [\] (backslash, right above the ENTER key) might be good (I'm reserving the spacebar and ENTER key for other functions).

Skeeve
Sergeant

Post by Skeeve » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:43 pm

Personally, I am a big fan of the next key in the command. In this case the Command Menu 'C' is used for Connections so I would go to 'O'. Using a '/' does not have any relation to the actual command.

Skeeve

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:49 pm

*cough* customizable hotkeys *cough*

;)

Skeeve
Sergeant

Post by Skeeve » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:54 pm

Hmm...I would think that Omnidon may have suggested that earlier...

heruca
Developer

Re: BUGS: First F2F Gaming Session With BRPG

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:23 pm

Skeeve wrote:Although I am not sure this is a bug but the chat window and menu window are way to visibly persistant. When BRPG is minimized they stay visible.
This seems to be fixed in v1.3 (at least under Windows XP; we'll have to wait and see re Vista).
Skeeve wrote:Even when BRPG pops up confirmation messages (like do you really want to exit) they will be hidden behind the chat and menu windows.
This appears to be beyond my control. In Director-created apps, Tool palette windows always appear on top of everything else. Sorry.

Skeeve
Sergeant

Post by Skeeve » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:08 pm

Update on the black bars over the map in our session.

Our session had many fewer connection issues now that we have all the players connect with their player license first then any players that are using floating license then connect.

One individual, using a player license, is still getting a 1" horizontal black bar across the screen. I tried the "Send missing map pieces" menu item and nothing happened to his screen. He tried disconnecting and reconnecting and same result (black bar).

Also, the Script Errors are extremely annoying. I notice they are only happening when someone I first load BRPG (get 1 error) and when someone connects (get 3 errors). After everyone is connected I do not get any errors - but since we are troubleshooting issues, they keep coming back.

Anything else we can try?

PS - I am up for a screen share session to troublehshoot.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:03 am

I'd be up for a troubleshooting session tomorrow, if you have time.

I'd really love to see what's causing these script errors that people are talking about and put an end to it.

Skeeve
Sergeant

Post by Skeeve » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:35 am

Absolutey!

I am in the CST (-6 GMT) time zone. I can be available any time after 5PM CST and can probably get the exact laptop having an issue after 8PM CST.

I will also send you an email with my contact information.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:56 pm

OK, I believe that converts to 8PM and 11PM my time, so that should work.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:55 pm

Skeeve wrote: the Script Errors are extremely annoying. I notice they are only happening when someone I first load BRPG (get 1 error) and when someone connects (get 3 errors).
For v1.3b, I believe I've fixed what was causing the script errors whenever a player connects to the host.

Skeeve
Sergeant

Our Testing Results With 1.3c

Post by Skeeve » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:10 pm

Here are the results of our testing on 1.3c

Confirmed items fixed by 1.3c:

Black bars on maps have been resolved.
Multiple script errors on transferring maps and client connections

Items still an issue or new issues with 1.3c:
Single script error after map is finished transferring to client. Although it does not seem to be effecting play.
Transferring Map dialog box hung for 3m before transfer started on a client who already had the map (they had disconnected and connected).
Still unable to view the chat window (Vista OS). The TAB key is not working and normally the TAB key is reserved for changing focus in Windows. I would suggest an alternate key.
Clients do not see sent visual aids even when using default graphics from 1.3c.

Question:
What are the zoom menu or keyboard equivalants for users that do not have a mouse wheel?
Last edited by Skeeve on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kazander
General

Re: Our Testing Results With 1.3c

Post by Kazander » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:22 pm

Skeeve wrote:Still unable to disable the chat window (Vista OS). The TAB key is not working and normally the TAB key is reserved for changing focus in Windows. I would suggest an alternate key.
Wow. This one surprises me. I run Vista (x64) and have never had this problem even with 1.3c. Do you have it bound to another program, like a push-to-talk key in a voice chat client? Normally it's ALT-TAB that changes window focus in Windows, not TAB alone.

Skeeve
Sergeant

Post by Skeeve » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:31 pm

Follow-up:

I do not have TAB bound to any other app. I thought it was ALT-TAB changes window focus and TAB changes element in window focus (but could be wrong).

We just re-tested without rebooting but just relaunching the app. The sending visual aids worked fine this time. As well as transferring the map (this time the user did not get any transfer map dialog) but the map was there.

Noticed two items though:

The drop down dialog boxes (for sending visual aids) all have black backgrounds and after you select an item it will not display in the box (so you do not know what you are really send and to whom).
If a user disconnects and black out mode is NOT enabled (all the party is playing) and then they reconnect their screen defaults to Black Out Mode enabled. GM has to go and toggle the Black Out Mode for their screen to show the map.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:39 pm

Skeeve wrote:The drop down dialog boxes (for sending visual aids) all have black backgrounds and after you select an item it will not display in the box (so you do not know what you are really send and to whom).
I believe this has been reported already; it only happens with the Aero interface enabled in Vista.
Skeeve wrote:If a user disconnects and black out mode is NOT enabled (all the party is playing) and then they reconnect their screen defaults to Black Out Mode enabled. GM has to go and toggle the Black Out Mode for their screen to show the map.
This happens to me too......ooops. It appears to have slipped off my list of "Bugs to report", unfortunately. :(

Skeeve
Sergeant

Post by Skeeve » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:55 pm

I do not have Aero installed.

Glad you can confirm the Blackout Issue.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:57 pm

Skeeve wrote:Here are the results of our testing on 1.3c

Confirmed items fixed by 1.3c:
Black bars on maps have been resolved.
Excellent!
Skeeve wrote:Question:
What are the zoom menu or keyboard equivalants for users that do not have a mouse wheel?
Control-Up Arrow = Zoom In by 10%
Control-Down Arrow = Zoom Out by 10%

See attached graphic for how to zoom in or out to any level with the mouse by double-clicking on the map.
Attachments
Zoom with Mouse.jpg
Zoom with Mouse.jpg (224.75 KiB) Viewed 11002 times

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:01 pm

Skeeve wrote:The drop down dialog boxes (for sending visual aids) all have black backgrounds and after you select an item it will not display in the box (so you do not know what you are really send and to whom).
BRPG ReadMe, Known Issues wrote:BRPG popup menus do not display correctly in Windows Vista while using the "Windows Aero" or "Windows Vista Basic" appearance settings
I believe that particular issue cannot be resolved until more Vista support is added by upgrading to Director 11. (I.E. probably not until BRPG v2)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:06 pm

Skeeve wrote:Still unable to view the chat window (Vista OS).
Any difference if you click once on the map prior to hitting the TAB key? Sometimes BRPG loses keyboard focus after a popup menu command is chosen, so clicking on the map window ensures it will listen to the hotkeys again.

Also, does the Chat window open for you if you use the "Chat Window" button on the Commands panel? Note that the Chat window only opens if you are hosting a game or have joined a game.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:11 pm

Skeeve wrote:If a user disconnects and black out mode is NOT enabled (all the party is playing) and then they reconnect their screen defaults to Black Out Mode enabled. GM has to go and toggle the Black Out Mode for their screen to show the map.
Has the GM disabled "Automatic Blackout Mode" in his 2nd preferences screen? Otherwise, it's working exactly as intended. Blackout mode engages whenever the map is changed or a new Encounter is loaded, and since the players were seeing a different map prior to logging in (probably the grass map), Blackout mode kicks in.

Skeeve
Sergeant

Post by Skeeve » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:04 am

Blackout Mode Enabled...
I do not believe I have disabled Auto Blackout Mode (haven't adjusted any preferences yet). When I launch BRPG I get the grass map with Blackout Mode Enabled. I then load a new map (still have Blackout Mode Enabled). Then I have a user connect. They see Blackout Mode Enabled. I remove the Blackout Mode and the user sees the map. If that user disconnects and reconnects they will see Blackout Mode Enabled even though I do not see it on my screen. To get that user to see the maps again I need to Enable Black Out Mode and then disable Blackout Mode. Is this by design?

Chat Window...
I can not get the Chat Window to appear on my system. I have tried clicking on BRPG and then hitting the TAB key. I have tried clicking on the TAB key in the commands menu. Any other suggestions (yes both tests were done with someone connected).

Script Error...
I am still getting one script error after the transfer maps completes although it does not seem to be impacting play.