Battleground connection

Dungeonlord

Battleground connection

Post by Dungeonlord » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:02 am

Hi! I was interested in battlegrounds but i have a question. How does the connection work? I often go abroad and i connect my pc to different router sometimes with wireless connection too. As GM(and hosting pc) i have to set the port everytime? I've not access to router configuration and this may be a problem....

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:27 am

Unfortunately, that is how it works right now, so it would be a problem in your situation. But I would like to add the ability for another player to host a game session and then hand off GM status to any connected GM Client. Would that work for you?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dungeonlord

Post by Dungeonlord » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:34 pm

mmmm.... this may be a solution but should buy at least two GM license. Then, if i understand, any player need his own license... am i right?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:59 pm

Dungeonlord wrote:mmmm.... this may be a solution but should buy at least two GM license.
Would one GM Client be for the player who would host for you? If I can implement what I mentioned above, just a Player Client or even the free demo would probably suffice for the hoster.
Dungeonlord wrote:Then, if i understand, any player need his own license... am i right?
Players will either need their own license, or the GM must have a Floating License installed for each unlicensed player that wishes to connect.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

dungeonlord

Post by dungeonlord » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:00 am

i saw a software called hamachi. With hamachi you can connect two or more pc using an internet connection in a VPN(virtual private network) for a direct and protected comunication.
Is there the possibility to use it or to implement it in some way?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:06 am

I've heard of Hamachi being used successfully with other VT software, so it may work with Battlegrounds, as well.

http://www.nbos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168
http://www.kloogeinc.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... f=3&t=1763
http://www.primordia.com/blog/archives/ ... machi.html

If you try it out, I'd be very interested to hear your results.

D-Miller
Sergeant

Trying Hamachi

Post by D-Miller » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:23 am

Hamachi provides a second network interface with it's own IP address. BGRPG only seems to want to run from the default interface. Is there a way to change which interface BGRPG uses?

I live in Japan, and our IP structure here is very fragmented. Completing a p2p connection here is very difficult. I've even gone so far as to place my PC outside my hardware firewall and disable the software firewall with no luck. Hamachi promises to be useful if I can get BGRPG to connect through it.

Thanks,
Dave

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:58 pm

Welcome, D-Miller.

I've never used Hamachi before. I will have to download it, try it out, and get back to you.

I'm not sure what you mean about changing the default BRPG interface. Do you mean the method it uses to establish p2p connections? If so, no. The only thing you can really change is the port number that it tries to host or connect over, and the amount of time it will attempt to host or connect before timing out the attempt.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:51 pm

heruca wrote:I'm not sure what you mean about changing the default BRPG interface.
I *think* he is saying that Hamachi is creating a virtual networking device (like having two ethernet cards), but BRPG continues to use the default networking device. I have no experience with Hamachi though so I don't know.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:55 pm

Could it be as easy as temporarily disabling the default networking device at the OS level?

D-Miller
Sergeant

Post by D-Miller » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:26 pm

Omnidon is correct. The program created a virtual network connection.

If I disable the default interface within th OS it will disconnect my Internet connection. The next thing I'm going to try is to install a virtual machine (windows OS) and make the Hachi interface the default for that OS, then try ro run BRPG on the virtual PC.

I think the real problem is that the router that is supplied by my ISP is not passing the requests through. I've contacted my ISP and they tell me that the router should be passing all traffic, however the actual technician doesn't speak english and my Japanese is very poor (no where good enough for a technical conversation).

On a side note, I love this product. I'm just hoping I can get it to communicate outside my LAN. I have players all over the world and it would be great to have the ability to share maps.

- Dave

D-Miller
Sergeant

Post by D-Miller » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:51 am

Okay. I got Hamachi to work and solve my translation issues. Here are the steps that should work for Windows (XP) users.
Everyone:
Install Hamachi (URL above), and join the same channel/network. I'm not going to detail this as Hamachi walks you through this the first time anyway.

GM/Storyteller:
On your PC as an Administrator:
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
Double Click 'Network Connections'
From the 'Advanced' Menu select 'Advanced Settings'
In the top selection box, find Hamachi and move it above your 'Local Area Connection'.

You can now host your game over the Hamachi Interface. You can leave the Network set up this way, it doesn't seem to have any real impact on other applications. I've been able to browse the web, check e-mail (using Outlook) and access my internal network devices with the Hamachi Interface above my Local Network.

I hope this helps someone else.

Best Regards,
Dave

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:06 am

Thanks a lot for sharing that info, D-Miller. It's great to know that Hamachi provides a viable solution for people in your situation, and the instructions you posted should come in very handy for someone trying to set it up.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:38 am

Is there any possibility of adding tips like this to the documentation? I know from experience that it can be frustrating trying to search a forum for the answer to an unusual problem.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:43 am

I'll try to remember to include this info in the updated User Manual.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:20 pm

I just wanted to say thanks to D-Miller.

My friend lives in Osaka, and we were able to connect using Hamachi.

Of course the big test will be in a couple weeks when we actually try to play a game.