Top three things you would love to see in BRPG or BWG

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE

Top three things you would love to see in BRPG or BWG

Postby morval » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:17 pm

I'm new and have written a flurry of msgs on the board all over the place. I thought I would jot down my three top things that would be awesome to see in BRPG.

1. some kind of movement help (I know its coming :))
2. freely rotating figures and objects (for all games that are on nongrid tables and use facing with movement, ie. a sailing ship turning on a nongrid table)
3. Deck of cards generator (be able to assign images to each card in the deck (also coming)

morval
morval
Sergeant

Postby heruca » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:38 pm

Heh, if not for you, it would be entirely too quiet here. Of the nearly 700 registered forum users, only a small handful seem to want to directly shape the development of the program to suit their gaming needs. I guess that's just the nature of forums.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby Omnidon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:33 am

Bah! I can't decide on only three things...

My #1 favorite feature, of course, would be Flash integration.

I'll hopefully get around to updating the suggestion summary again soon :P
Omnidon
Site Admin

Postby ursus » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:22 pm

3 things?

Well, #1 would be FoW that uses LoS.

The other two are already in the works. The improved turn sequencer and approved movement.
ursus
General

Postby Kepli » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:57 am

Same top 3 as Ursus :D
Kepli
High Commander

Postby Halebop » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:54 am

My 3 things? They've all been mentioned...

1. What Morval Said
2. What Omnidon Said
3. What Kepli Said
Halebop

Postby heruca » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:03 am

Halebop cheats!
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby Halebop » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:29 am

heruca wrote:Halebop cheats!

[Tries really hard to look contrite]
Halebop

Postby Kepli » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:18 pm

:lol:
Kepli
High Commander

Postby Varl » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:04 am

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't say no to line of sight FoW. Is there finer tuning for scaling in BRPG other than 10% at a time using the scroll wheel? If not, that'd be number 2 for me. Number 3 would be anything that improves FoW. :wink:
Varl
Sergeant

Postby heruca » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:11 am

I think I can squeeze in finer zoom control into the next release.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:55 am

Varl wrote:Is there finer tuning for scaling in BRPG other than 10% at a time using the scroll wheel? If not, that'd be number 2 for me.

This will be in v1.2a, which I'm hoping (no promises) to release in the next few days.

It will also be possible for both players and the GM to set the zoom level directly by issuing a command in the chat input box.

For example: Typing "zoom=43.7" (sans quotes) into the chat input field and hitting Return/Enter will set the zoom level to 43.7%. The valid range for the command is any value between 10 and 200.

I also want to allow finer zoom control while using the mousewheel, if a modifier key is held down.

Finer zoom granularity will probably be important to projector users, who need to precisely adjust the size of the projected grid.
Attachments
Zoom Adjustments.jpg
Zoom Adjustments.jpg (242.41 KiB) Viewed 336 times
heruca
Developer

Postby ursus » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:15 pm

Where does LoS FoW fit into your development plan/schedule, Heruca?

Would it maybe be something for v1.4?

This is still item #1 for me.
ursus
General

Postby heruca » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:11 pm

IF I ever do LoS FoW, it would be in v2.

My primary plans for finishing up the v1 series include the revised Turn Sequencer (v1.3) and the Approved Movement System (v1.4), which will likely include measuring the distance moved.

Somewhere along the line I'll also squeeze in:
¢ Morval's #2 request
¢ Perhaps some Chat window enhancements
¢ Wrapping up some loose ends (like the still-missing cone and beam light sources)
¢ Updating the User Manual
¢ Some other goodies, too
heruca
Developer

Postby fink » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:17 pm

Any status change on the zoom function?

I have a top-down projector which I use for maps. Without a zoom function that allows scaling <1%, BG is not going to be a viable option for me. Most of my maps come from photoshop drawings or GIMP pdf rips, so they need to be scaled before use.

Keep us informed when 1.2a is out, I would love to beta the zoom function for you.

Also, in version 1.0 of the manual it states that your pixel/grid division is 61/1 - has that changed? Is there plans to change it in the future?

Finally, is there any thought to allowing png files or other files with simple layer mask to be implemented for maps?
fink
Cannon Fodder

Postby heruca » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:32 pm

Welcome, fink.

The new zoom adjustment features are already in place and working, as shown in the screenshot above. Note the ".1%" options, for super-fine control.

v1.2a is due out shortly after iCon is over, so... sometime this coming week.

The resolution has changed a bit since the User Manual was written. You can now use maps up to 122 pixels per cell. Normally you only see 61 pixels per cell, at 100% zoom, but since the zoom feature goes up to 200%, you'd get to see 122 pixels per cell at full zoom.

It might be possible to allow partially-transparent PNGs to be used as maps. What would you do with that capability, if I might ask?
heruca
Developer

Postby demonsbane » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:48 pm

Well my main interests for BG RPG development are

1) Line of Sight (LOS) Fow of War,
2) Chat enhancements (including window color customization, and font) and
3) Some character sheet support.

But you (Heruca) already stated some of these things aren't coming until BG RPG 2.x
"We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."
J. M. Caparula / Scott Haring
demonsbane
Captain

Postby demonsbane » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:49 pm

ursus wrote:Where does LoS FoW fit into your development plan/schedule, Heruca?

Would it maybe be something for v1.4?

This is still item #1 for me.

I agree. That enhances A LOT the game-map experience . . .

But it seems currently we are out of luck about this.
"We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."
J. M. Caparula / Scott Haring
demonsbane
Captain

Postby D-Miller » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:30 am

Hmm, 3 things.
Support for ShadowRun 4 dice rolling. (detailed below)
Larger map area (61 cells by 61 cells can be small at 1m/cell)
LoS FoW (ran out of ideas, but I LOVE this one)

SR4 dice:
SR4 has an odd dicing system (when compared to other systems). Here are the basics:
Large pool of Dice (all D6, refered to as DP (Dice Pool)) a success (or "hit") is a roll of 5 or 6 on a die. A "Glitch" is at least 1 hit and half or more of the DP is 1's. A "Critical Glitch" is no hits and half or more of the DP are 1's.

Options:
- Basic roll, roll xx DP
- Can be open ended where all 6's are counted and an additional dice is rolled added to the DP (these 6's are also open-ended), so a DP can easily grow in size this way.
- Can re-roll all failed dice

Most of this can be compensated for manually, however it would be a nice option to have automated.

Thanks,
Dave
D-Miller
Sergeant

Postby Omnidon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:31 am

D-Miller wrote:Larger map area (61 cells by 61 cells can be small at 1m/cell)

Note that BRPG can support up to 122x122 pixels per cell if you use 200% zoom as standard.
Omnidon
Site Admin

Postby heruca » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:09 am

D-Miller, have you seen this? I'm not sure how much more I can specifically support Shadowrun glitches without getting into a legal grey area. With the publisher's permission, it would be a piece of cake to implement your request. Do you know who I can contact to try and obtain the publisher's consent?
heruca
Developer

Postby D-Miller » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:05 am

Heruca,
I have seen that, and in fact have played with it a great deal. I can work around the dicing system quite well, but having it automated would be nice. :)

The current owners of Shadowrun can be reached at http://catalystgamelabs.com/contact/ or contact@catalystgamelabs.com. They have been quite friendly so far. But a little slow to respond sometimes.

Edit:
I was able to see the open-ended rolls working well. The re-roll failures is really the only hard one, as this has to be determined after the roll has been completed.
Ex: Player rolls 10 DP, gets 2 hits. Player chooses to re-roll failures so rerolls 8 dice and scores 3 more hits for a total of 5 hits out of 10 dice.
Thank you,
Dave
D-Miller
Sergeant

Postby heruca » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:47 am

Thanks for the contact info. Much appreciated.
heruca
Developer

Postby nortonweb » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:00 pm

Ok my top three would be:

1) Turn Tracker improvemnets (coming in so yay)
2) Dice rolls reporting into chat.
3) A mix of better handling of Dice Macros (say a dropdown on the dice roller screen and an ability to delete a macro) and the dice auto rolling when a dice macro is picked from the right click (windows) menu on a figure or battleground button.
My thoughts being if I'm selecting a pre created macro to roll then why jump to the macro control page to start with only for me to click roll... I want it to roll the dice (saves some click time and thus game flow)
If I want to roll something thats either not pre macro'd or its a change to a macro then I can select the new macro choice and either do a one off roll or make a quick mod to a macro I pick from the new drop down menu... if any of that makes sense :D
nortonweb
General

Top three things

Postby cuhullen » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:05 pm

I would love to see:

Like so many others, los for fow.

Encounter linking so that activating the link automatically brings up the linked encouter.

.... Can't think of anything else I really want. I'm really enjoying BRPG.
cuhullen
Soldier

Next

Return to Submit Feedback