Prism Shard's D&D 3.5 Campaign

A place to post your BRPG game transcripts
Prismshard
Captain

Prism Shard's D&D 3.5 Campaign

Post by Prismshard » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:35 pm

Hello, players.
I thought I would start this thread so we could have a common area to discuss the details of the D&D 3.5 campaign I will be running in the near future. Initially it will be a good place for you to discuss with each other and myself the types of characters you want to play, and to determine the setting we will use.
As of now I'm leaning towards Forgotten Realms, since I already have quite a few books for that setting, but I'm open to others.
As for character types, that's totally up to you. If you want to create a well-rounded group, that would be cool, but I'm sure I can adapt to whatever style you want to go for.
I've been GMing(or DMing, depending on the system) for quite a few years, and my style tends to lean towards the improvisatory. You never know what directions your players will take you, and I find its best to be able to go with that rather than try to railroad them into following a specific plot. My philosophy is that plot is what happens when the players start getting involved with the events and NPC's in a campaign, and not something that should be worked out ahead of time.
This will, however, be my first time running a campaign with a VTT(unless you count Neverwinter Nights, with which I've run 3 pretty successful campaigns). I hope to learn the ins and outs of BG pretty quickly, and I'm finally getting the hang of my mapping software(CC3 with DD3 and several other add-ons).
Anyway, I suppose I'm rambling by now.
If you're one of the players who is interested in playing this campaign, please post a reply here. Introduce yourself, mention the type of character you want to play, and if you have a preference for the setting or style of the campaign. Hopefully we can get everything set up and ready in time to get our first session within the next 2-3 weeks.

Thanks,
Prism Shard

MrGrenadine
Soldier

Hell, yeah!

Post by MrGrenadine » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:51 pm

Great to see the game is shaping up! I love the Forgotten Realms idea, and the style of game you're planning sounds great to me.

As for characters, I'll play pretty much anything, but I love the usual suspects, like high skill rogues, tank-like fighters, etc. I've also been working on a battle-cleric idea (strength and destruction domains) and a fast and nimble sorcerer idea that I'd love to try out. Whatever the party needs.

In terms of game time, my time-zone is EST, and I'm available Sunday through Wednesday nights. I *could* do weekends, but the wife and I sometimes travel on weekends, so my attendance wouldn't be as consistent, (and I hate missing sessions).

If you need any more info to start, let me know.

dave

Pheznik
Soldier

Post by Pheznik » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:00 pm

I'm open to just about anything. Class and game play wise.

my time is central, but my schedule is crazy open.

If the rest of the players have their heart set on a class or race, but you still "need" __fill_in_the_blank__ i'm cool with playing that.

Prismshard
Captain

Post by Prismshard » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:20 am

Based on the schedules almost everyone's given me(though I haven't heard back from Lonely Wanderer yet) I think Monday night at 9 PM Central Time(10 PM EST) is my suggestion for the game time. We'd probably be looking at 3 hour sessions, though I could go up to 4 hours if necessary. Let me know if this will work for you all, or if we need to modify it. If we need to start earlier I could possibly go with 8 PM Central time on Tuesdays, but I might have to pause the game almost an hour in for a little while.

I'm considering starting the game in a large town somewhat inland in the Dragon Coast region, about 40 miles southwest of Westgate. The town, named Riverstride, was established by a group of powerful adventurers(from a previous campaign I ran) that have since moved on to other things. It's a bit of a frontier town, in a region plagued by monsters and tribes of savage races, so there's lots of opportunity for adventurers to make a name for themselves.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the potential game time and the setting suggestion. In the meantime, feel free to further discuss your character ideas. I think we'll start the campaign out at good old 1st level and go from there. Feel free to gen up your characters. Use standard character generation rules for 3.5, and use the point-buy system for attributes, with 32 points to spend.

Misfits
Soldier

Post by Misfits » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:04 am

Eastern Time zone here, schedule is open besides Sundays for church an fridays are nights out with my wife. I like Psionic classes alot recently I have also been lookin at Psionic/Ranger types but I am open to anything new really.

Prismshard
Captain

Post by Prismshard » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:25 pm

Psionics are OK, if that's what you'd like to play. One of my favorite characters that I played was a Psychic Warrior that was one heck of an archer. He styled himself as a thief as well, though he had no levels in rogue. But I digress.
Well, so far I have not heard anything from Lonely Wanderer except his initial post. Hopefully he(or she) is still interested.
I think the time has come to get a bit more specific with your character choices. As I've said, I'm fairly open to what you want to play, but if we're going to get started relatively soon, I'll need you to pick your characters and get started on making them. We can always make adjustments or outright changes later if we need to. It's OK to have multiple ideas, but please put forth the one you'd prefer to play.

Thanks

Misfits
Soldier

Post by Misfits » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:41 pm

Im considering doing either a Ranger/Pyro or a Sorcerer/Pyro, the ranger would obviously gain from the weapons afire an the Sorc's main stat for spells is Cha an that applies to most of the Pyro's skills as well.

If you have anything you'd like me to do though like I said I am willing to try anything new

Prismshard
Captain

Post by Prismshard » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:33 am

Sounds good. Go ahead and write up your character and email me with it when you get the chance.
Use standard character creation rules, with the point buy system for generating abilities. You get 32 points to spend on your abilities(don't forget that abilities above 14 cost more)

Misfits
Soldier

Post by Misfits » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:39 am

Name: Rin Vindor
Race: Human
Class: Ranger
Level: 1
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 140lbs

I will finish th details when I gather them

MrGrenadine
Soldier

Character choices

Post by MrGrenadine » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:47 pm

Ok, since we have 1 ranger/psion, I'm working on these three ideas:

1. An old-school sneaking, hiding, trap-finding, lock-picking, back-stabbing Rogue!

2. Focus Caster variant Sorcerer--a charismatic, rapier-wielding battlefield controller. The high charisma would make him an effective diplomat, high social-skill, "face"-type character.

3. Heavily armored waraxe wielding dwarven brute.

I'll roll up all three, and will decide based on whats most needed and/or has the most synergy with the rest of the group.

Pheznik
Soldier

Post by Pheznik » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:37 pm

well judging by those... i guess i'll pick up the healer slot.

it was either that or a rogue/fighter spike chain spec. that likes to trip.

eh.

MrGrenadine
Soldier

Characters

Post by MrGrenadine » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:23 pm

Pheznik, just sent you a PM--if you want to play your rogue/fighter, I could play a healer or the sorcerer above. (Assuming that the 'eh' means you're not so enthused at playing a healer!)

dave

Prismshard
Captain

Post by Prismshard » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:50 pm

Sounds good so far. I still haven't heard anything from Lonely Wanderer, but hopefully he's still up for the game. I also haven't heard any objections for the game time, so I'm assuming that's OK for everyone. I'm getting to work on the first couple of adventures, and a map for the starting town. Why don't we set a tentative first session time for a week from this upcoming Monday?

That would be Monday, March 24th at 9 PM US Central(10 PM EST).

I'd also like to incorporate voice chat, butI don't have a voice program that I currently use. I've heard good things about Ventilo, but if anyone has a suggestion, I'm up for it.

Before we start the game I'd like to have the following things done:

1) Detailed character info emailed to me so I can approve everyone's character. Please include a background as well... nothing too fancy is necessary, but I would like about a paragraph's worth.

2) Voice communication software selected and downloaded on everyone's computer.

3) One login session with each player, with both BG and our voice software. No more than a few minutes, but just enough to make sure we have no problems connecting before the actual first game session. We could do these as individual logins or as a group.

If we can get all these done by at least a couple days before the 24th, we'll go ahead with our first game session then.

Thanks,
Prism Shard

Misfits
Soldier

Post by Misfits » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:07 pm

Sounds good to me, oh an for voice chat I dont have a opinion really, I think we should have our instant messengers up so we can coordinate this an fix any problems as well, mine is Misfits1990@aol.com

Pheznik
Soldier

Post by Pheznik » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:44 pm

i might have access to a vent server.

also

are we using "top down view" figures? or portraits? or side view?

I've used battlegrounds a pretty good bit and have made my own "figs" several times. just wondering

Pheznik
Soldier

Post by Pheznik » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:01 pm

Oh yeah! what about gear and money?

Soon as i'm told about the above, char will be done.
Last edited by Pheznik on Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrGrenadine
Soldier

Voice chat

Post by MrGrenadine » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:14 pm

Starting on the 24th is great for me. Also, just let me know when you want to test the connection(s).

Feel free to AIM me at MrBigGrin.

As for voice chat, I've used both ventrilo and skype for games, and thought they were both great.* They're both free, so if we're going to do a run-through before the 24th, we could try both and see what folks take to.

More info:
www.ventrilo.com

www.skype.com

*I'm running a Mac with OSX. Your mileage may vary.

Pheznik
Soldier

Post by Pheznik » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:40 am

guess i could have extended that...

anyone want a "figure" that looks (for the most part) like their char?

just need some basic info

edit --

just found the forum for figures...so...nvm. lol

Prismshard
Captain

Post by Prismshard » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:31 pm

Thanks for the offer for figures, Pheznik!
We'll be using top-down figs, though I believe character portraits can be used as well, just not on the map.
Since there doesn't seem to be a preference, why don't we go with Ventrilo for voice chat?
I currently do not use an IM program. What ones do you use? I'll go ahead and set one up once I know what IM program to go with.
As for a test run, why don't we plan on getting one together late night this Wednesday? I run a face to face game Wednesday nights, so it'll have to be fairly late, especially for you east-coast folks.
Why don't we say 11 PM Central(or midnight for those of you in EST)
Not everyone has to be there, but it would be helpful if we can get together all at once, if it is possible. The main issue I want to get over is to make sure that my router and firewall aren't going to get in the way.

So, go ahead and download Ventrilo, and let me know what IM you use. Also please let me know if you plan on making it to the Wednesday night test run. It should only take 10 minutes or so, if everything goes smoothly.

Thanks,
Prism Shard

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:41 pm

This quote from the ReadMe file might interest you. It applies to BRPG v1.0.9 or later.
The tilde key (right below the ESC key) is now reserved for use with VOIP programs like Ventrilo that have a push-to-talk feature. You can now use the tilde key for this purpose, even with the chat window open, and it won't get typed into the chat input field.
So if you do go with Ventrilo, be sure to configure the push-to-talk key to be the tilde key.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Pheznik
Soldier

Post by Pheznik » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:23 pm

prism i use yahoo for im but i can also get aim if i need to. i even have an old 6 digit icq #, if i can remember the password.

i take it you are going to set up the vent server? we'll need the info for that as well.

Prismshard
Captain

Post by Prismshard » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:58 pm

Thanks for the tip, heruca.

Pheznik, it looks like MrGrenadine uses AIM, and based on Misfit's aol email address I would guess that he does as well. Why don't we all go with AIM for the instant messenger.
I'll post my AIM handle on here when I get it set up.
Everyone please download and install Ventrilo, and map the "push to talk" button to the tilde(~) key.
So far I've heard nothing from LonelyWanderer since he initially posted in the first forum topic, so I'm going to have to assume he won't be joining us. It'll be a nice surprise if he does show, but I'm not going to hold up the game to find out if he does.
If everyone can make the Wednesday night meeting, it might also be a good time to finalize everyone's character ideas, though I think we've made pretty good progress on that.
We'll start if off by meeting using the AIM, then get Ventrilo going. After that we'll boot up BG and hope for the best.
Also, I'm running the most recent version of BG, which is the 1.2 beta.
Since with BG everyone has to be running the same version, please make sure you download the most recent version of BG, if you haven't already.

Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Prism Shard

Misfits
Soldier

Post by Misfits » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:16 am

Well see I have a concert that my wife is performing in so I wont be able to do Wednesday. Not unless its later on like 10ish EST

Prismshard
Captain

Post by Prismshard » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:54 am

It'll be midnight EST
Check my longer message above for the rest of the details.
Just out of curiosity, what sort of concert? I'm a music major myself, so I'm no stranger to those.

Misfits
Soldier

Post by Misfits » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:09 am

Choir, she is really good to :) lol unfortunately most of the new people suck cause the teacher didn't hold proper tryouts xD