Dice roller multiplier suggestion.

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
NiteSkie
Soldier

Dice roller multiplier suggestion.

Post by NiteSkie » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:48 pm

I noticed in the screenshot for your dice roller that there is no multiplier.

I think this would be a very welcome addition. I am currently running a Bubblegum Crisis campaign and could really use the dice roller there to roll the damage (7D6x4, 22D6x2, ect.). This goes the same for D&D critical hits, etc.

A multiplier field would be very nice, and not a difficult addition unless I miss my guess.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:57 pm

That shouldn't be too hard to add at all. I wasn't sure if any game systems used die roll multiplication. Now I know. :)

Thanks for the suggestion.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Gwindel
Captain

Post by Gwindel » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:09 pm

Indeed, I use a space opera game where you must beat the difficulty with 2D6 X (characteristic + skill).
More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol. — W. C. Fields

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:16 pm

I gather people tend to have a calculator handy to play these games?

How high should my multiplication options go? x2 - x20?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

NiteSkie
Soldier

hmm

Post by NiteSkie » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:12 pm

I think that x2 through x10 would be enough for anything i've seen.

I also wonder if you can up the number of dice you can roll. If I remember correctly you had up to 7. Could this be feasible to up to 10?

Gwindel
Captain

Post by Gwindel » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:17 pm

Well, a calculator can help.
Multiplier range should be useful with up to X20 for me..(the space op game I speak about has a characteristic range of 2 to 12 plus skill level...).
More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol. — W. C. Fields

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:18 pm

9 dice is the current maximum (or 3 percentile rolls). Increasing that would mean I either have to make the dice graphics smaller, or all the control panels bigger, and that isn't likely to happen unless a more pressing need for it comes along.

I figure 9 dice should really be enough for most game systems out there, and of course if you need more dice, you can always roll some more separately, and add the results yourself.

NiteSkie
Soldier

Post by NiteSkie » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:21 pm

9 will suffice ;).

Can't have *everything* you want, otherwise life wouldn't be any fun.

riddles
Captain

Post by riddles » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:20 am

NiteSkie wrote:9 will suffice ;).
Unless you're playing Shadowrun, where you can be rolling 20+ d6s...

Won't this also be a limitation for the Wargaming version?

Riddles (who really needs to play with the beta more!)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:13 pm

Actually, there's been a change of plans. Die roll results will now appear directly on the map window. Since I'm not so limited there in screen real estate, I will be increasing the maximum number of dice that may be rolled at once.

And you'll probably be able to roll a ridiculous number of dice in the chat window.

Question: would you like dice results neatly arranged for you (highest to lowest), or random (like now)? I suspect some RPG systems that use dice pools would benefit from an arranged layout, like if you need to quickly see at a glance how many 6's you rolled.

riddles
Captain

Post by riddles » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:20 pm

heruca wrote:Question: would you like dice results neatly arranged for you (highest to lowest), or random (like now)? I suspect some RPG systems that use dice pools would benefit from an arranged layout, like if you need to quickly see at a glance how many 6's you rolled.
Shadowrun (4th edn anyway) uses 5s and 6s as successes, so arranging them would be good! :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:40 pm

BTW, it's nice to see you back on these forums, Riddles. :D

riddles
Captain

Post by riddles » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:52 pm

heruca wrote:BTW, it's nice to see you back on these forums, Riddles. :D
:) Hopefully will be be a leetle more active now that the chaos of Christmas is over!

Now, if only I had more time to play with BRPG... <sigh>

NiteSkie
Soldier

ordered

Post by NiteSkie » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:46 pm

Ordered would be good :).

Just looks better.

riddles
Captain

Post by riddles » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:40 am

Another vague thought.

Again for Shadowrun, you need to be able to swop the number of dice you roll from roll to roll. I'd be happy enough to do this in the chat window rather than the map window if req'd, but it's another consideration I guess.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:22 pm

Two options for you Riddles (aside from using the Dice Roller panel):

1. Actvate a predefined dice macro
2. Type your die roll formula (e.g., 3d6+2) in the chat window and hit Return.

Either way you do it, your results will appear both as text in the chat window and as die graphics in the map window.

riddles
Captain

Post by riddles » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:07 am

Being able to type it in in the chat window is fine.

Main thing we worry about is counting the 6s and 5s (and possibly re-rolling 6s).

To give you a rather extreme example, our Troll Street Samurai on Sunday was rolling 32d6... (and got 8 successes (5s and 6s). The guy running him isn't very lucky, as he needed 19...).

And as the GM is moving to the States at the end of May, BRPG is eagerly awaited! :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:07 pm

32d6?!! LOL! That wouldn't even fit on a single row on the map window! Which brings up the point: should I just add another row of die placeholders for any spillover dice that don't make it onto the first row?

Would you all want a feature that automatically rerolls dice that get a certain number or higher?

Are you in Europe, Riddles? I'd like to suggest that everyone fill out more info on their user profiles. I like seeing where people are from.

riddles
Captain

Post by riddles » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:37 pm

heruca wrote:Are you in Europe, Riddles? I'd like to suggest that everyone fill out more info on their user profiles. I like seeing where people are from.
:oops: Yeah, yeah, I'll get round to it soon(ish)! (only been saying that for 3 months now)

And yes, I'm in the UK.

riddles
Captain

Post by riddles » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:42 pm

heruca wrote:32d6?!! LOL! That wouldn't even fit on a single row on the map window! Which brings up the point: should I just add another row of die placeholders for any spillover dice that don't make it onto the first row?
OK, it's a bit extreme I'll grant you (and he took 10 wounds and kept on going too - v. broken character :)), but there are other games where you roll ALOT of dice too as quite a few games seem to be going towards dice pools, and even GURPS can require a fair few for damage etc.

So long as the results were in the chat window, I'm pretty relaxed as to whether they all appeared in the map window. Maybe just show the 1st 5 or 10 and have a marker to show that more were rolled.

Lonewolf
Soldier

Post by Lonewolf » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:07 pm

heruca wrote:9 dice is the current maximum (or 3 percentile rolls). Increasing that would mean I either have to make the dice graphics smaller, or all the control panels bigger, and that isn't likely to happen unless a more pressing need for it comes along.

I figure 9 dice should really be enough for most game systems out there, and of course if you need more dice, you can always roll some more separately, and add the results yourself.
Of course you could just give us the option of switching the dice panel off. If I roll 10d6 the result could be seen as:

1+2+3+4+5+6+6+6+6+1=34

That is just one line of text. Not as pretty as you would like but not as ugly as a 'you can only use 9 dice' rule. If graphics is the problem give me the option to switch them off so I can get on and play the game which is why I am really are going to buy the software. Not to look at pretty dice graphics.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:16 pm

I can do that easily enough once die rolling from the chat window is enabled. I figure I could also let users roll odd numbered dice that way, too, like d7, d42, etc.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:59 pm

riddles wrote:
heruca wrote:Question: would you like dice results neatly arranged for you (highest to lowest), or random (like now)? I suspect some RPG systems that use dice pools would benefit from an arranged layout, like if you need to quickly see at a glance how many 6's you rolled.
Shadowrun (4th edn anyway) uses 5s and 6s as successes, so arranging them would be good! :)
Hey, Riddles, are you still around? If so, you'll be happy to hear that BRPG v1.0.9 will support Shadowrun dicerolls much better. Up to 30 dice can be rolled at once, and they can be auto-sorted and each die can be tagged as a success or failure. The output makes it pretty easy to see if you rolled enough 1s to score a glitch or a critical glitch.

Fenthen, masterlurker, and smatt1001 should be happy to hear this, too.
Attachments
Shadowrun Dice Roll.jpg
Shadowrun Dice Roll.jpg (214.61 KiB) Viewed 7947 times

riddles
Captain

Post by riddles » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:29 pm

Still here, still mostly in lurk mode! :)

Result set looks good! :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:35 pm

Thanks.

Good to know you're still around. :)