Mapping Techniques

A place for BRPG and BGE users to socialize
Venger
General

Mapping Techniques

Post by Venger » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:44 pm

I am constanlty trying to improve my mapping techniques...

I recently came across this site. Look at the maps called Birkental and Jarlsstal

http://www.mapventures.com/atlas.html

Any ideas on the mapping techniques used here? A 3D proggy perhaps, like Bryce? Or does anyone know of a mapping tool that does this?

My Middle Earth campaign would benefit greatly from this kind of map

TIA

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:03 pm

I think he's mainly using Campaign Cartographer 3.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:05 pm

Well I have been using CC since dos days, and never saw a map like this before. CC is vector based, that can so some very limited work with PNG bitmaps

If it IS CC3, then I wanna know HOW!! heheh

Those maps are really quite amazing

If you look at the hills and mountains, its as though they are "pinched" or pulled up as if using a mesh tool and then possibly painted on or texture mapped

Even CC3 cannot do that kind of mesh work, at least not that I am aware of, and I have pretty much experience with CC

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:35 pm

CC2 could actually make some pretty good maps similar to that, if you got a good symbol set and were skilled. (Don't ask me how, but I've seen it done.)

CC3 has the added ability to add textures / filters to each sheet and/or terrain type, so you can get things like shadows, 3D terrain, etc.
I own CC3 but haven't done any map making lately so I haven't tested it much myself.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:05 am

Venger wrote:Well I have been using CC since dos days, and never saw a map like this before. CC is vector based, that can so some very limited work with PNG bitmaps

If it IS CC3, then I wanna know HOW!! heheh
Heh, well, that seem to be the only mapping program he mentions by name on the site... though he does say he uses various programs. So maybe he tweaks things in photoshop.

You might just want to email him about certain maps and techniques. He'll probably be happy to answer.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:20 am

Yeah CC3's great. A little costly in CPU power I believe compared to say, Photoshop, ie it seems to render a little slow, but really its great stuff.

Witth CC3 and Dundjinni these are awesome tools for making maps.

Speaking of which, You guys will love this.
Those maps I linked to are done in Photoshop. CS2 or better to be precise, which I dont have yet but it might be worth considering the upgrade from PS7.

I chatted with the mapper who did them, Grimur Fjeldsted, of the previously linked site. I linked him up to my maps and trees and he liked a couple of my maps, and wa interested in what techniques and trees I used, so we traded maps and techniques YAY

So I will share it here.
It is achieved by way of custom Brushes, Patterns and Templates and you simply Load those elements into CS2.

There is a brief user manual to get you started and some example maps. These elements are all freely available for download at the following site

http://www.terraficta.net/

I can really see a lot of uses to add content for DJ and CC3 with these tools.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:43 am

Well, heck, if you really know what you're doing in Photoshop, there isn't much you can't do! ;)

Some of his maps really are very nice. I'll have to take a look at those tools he has posted.

Thanks for sharing this, Venger.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:45 am

You are welcome Full Bleed.

Yeah I wish I could sit with someone who is a master in Photoshop for a week and just watch them work.

I'll bet there are so many amazing things that can be done that I would love to know about.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:38 pm

Ilwan (it's his site) used mostly CC2 and is now using CC3 for his maps. He does use Photoshop to do postwork :D